PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to ..........

Rudeyboy18
Monday 24th June 2013, 22:02
Hi all,

I have a boost leak coming from my downpipe/turbo housing area. I noticed one of the nuts on the down pipe was hand loose. But ive been trying to getting to it with socket and I cant seem to get to it properly as brake cyclinder, pipes or something is always in the way.

Any advice or tips for this please??

Its a Straight flange by the way.

T5frankie
Monday 24th June 2013, 22:04
mine is the same there is one nut i can hardly do up

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 22:26
I'm in the same boat. I used a ratchet spanner to tighten it up as much as I could.

Rudeyboy18
Monday 24th June 2013, 22:28
I sprayed bubbly soapy water around the engine when cold and I couldn't find any leaks... Then did it on that join and it bubbled up massively on idle. Revved it slightly and it was so apparent lol. Need to get it tightened , but determined to do it myself. I do have MRG just down the road, so could ask them for price to do it. Im just loosing §§§§ loads of boost after 10psi and whistles really loud and you see the boost gauge go down. Really annoying . How is your new 850 going ?? All going to plan?

merc85
Monday 24th June 2013, 22:29
short 1/4 drive rachet and a small extension from underneth

Rudeyboy18
Monday 24th June 2013, 22:30
I'm in the same boat. I used a ratchet spanner to tighten it up as much as I could.

My ratchet spanner doesn't seem to fit. Ive seen someone in USA using a number of extensions and the cv sockets to achieve it. But I don't have enough to make what he used, it was about 4ft long

t5 pete
Monday 24th June 2013, 22:31
short 1/4 drive rachet and a small extension from underneth

Nail on head either that or a stubby 13mm spanner also a knuckle joint for the 1/4 drive comes in handy

Dangerous Dave
Monday 24th June 2013, 23:36
Im just loosing §§§§ loads of boost after 10psi and whistles really loud and you see the boost gauge go down.
Have you checked the TCV, CBV and wastegate?

M-R-P
Monday 24th June 2013, 23:39
If it's whistling, I'd have thought it was a leak on one of the boost pipe joins. like the rubber collar connecting the turbo to the hard pipe that goes to the I/C.

claymore
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 07:14
Sorry, I'm I being thick here, you won't get a boost leak from a loose down pipe, it will just be an exhaust leak.

T5frankie
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 09:31
Mine is the same lots of whistle and losing power

Nealevo
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 09:33
I did all 3 of my stud/nuts up from underneath the car, it was much easier than skinning my knuckles from above, plus i could have a little nap whilst under the car

Rudeyboy18
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 18:47
Sorry, I'm I being thick here, you won't get a boost leak from a loose down pipe, it will just be an exhaust leak.

Good point. Maybe I need to look into it further.

Rudeyboy18
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 18:48
I did all 3 of my stud/nuts up from underneath the car, it was much easier than skinning my knuckles from above, plus i could have a little nap whilst under the car

Jacked up or on a ramp??

T5frankie
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 19:01
Jacked up or on a ramp??

that way is impossible for mine, next to one of my studs is a lambda hole with a welded in cover so cant get any sort of socket on it whatsoever, and the bottom of the nuts sit right on the pipe itself so cant get a ring spanner all the way onto the nuts

claymore
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 19:10
Don't have any problems with the design of my down pipe :)