PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Choice...... any advice gratefully recieved

Scopetrekker
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 11:46
Good morning everyone.

I have recently purchased a lovely 2005 S60 D5 Sport. The car is fitted with some really nice looking 18 inch alloys and low profile tyres.

Unfortunately I have today driven over what was a smallish pot hole and seemed to have put a hole in the side wall so the tyre is trashed!!

The punctured tyre was a really cheap/budget tyre called a Jinyu (235/40/R18/Z)

The roads round here are in awful condition so is if its going to happen again would a more expensive tyre stand up to the bad road surfaces better?

Is it worth spending money on a more expensive tyre or should I just stick with cheap/budget tyres?

Went to Quick fit and they tried to charge me £200 for Pirelli and £220 for a Michelin.

I have had a look at 235/40/R18 size tyres on Blackcircles.com and from what I can see my choice are.....

RUNWAY or ACCETERA budget tyres £81 fitted

KUMHO £125 fitted

GOODYEAR Eagle F1 Assymetric £145 fitted

PIRELLI P Zero Rossa £152 fitted

BRIDGESTONE Pottenza S001 £154 fitted

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.............. at the moment I'm leaning towards spending the £145 on the Goodyear.

Regards

Jezz

V70 Graham
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 11:52
Not sure if they do them in your size but a lot of us here have Avon ZV5's and swear by them, I would personally stay well away from 'budget' tyres, especially on higher performance cars.

Sharkey R
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 11:56
Hi mate first of all if the pothole was deep enough to damage your tyre take a photo of the offending pothole with something put along side it to show the scale of size and depth and write a letter containing the photo to your council. If its bad enough to damage the tyre that badly then you should be able to make a compensation claim. Have a look at this site : http://potholes.co.uk/

As for tyres everyone has different opinions so its a bit of a minefield really. I had Pirellis on my previous wheels and found there was a lot of road noise. I now run Avon ZZ3s which are very good. Low noise, very high grip.

T5RPete
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 12:18
Remember that your tyres are the only thing connecting your car to the road.

On my T5R I have Yokohama Para Spec 2s all round and they're absolutely brilliant.

Also, if you're able to get tyres delivered, and the drive them to a fitting centre, it'll work out cheaper.

I got 2 of the above Yokas fitted for a £5iver at kwikfit after ordering them online.

Try Camskill.co.uk

Maybe some of these:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s322p107832/

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 12:26
I've just fitted Pirelli P7's to the front of my VAG.. I don't know if they are any good, but it is fu. Going into work as the fronts grip and the rear budget tyres give me lift off over steer

Scopetrekker
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 13:17
Many thanks for the advice guys

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 13:34
Remember that your tyres are the only thing connecting your car to the road.

On my T5R I have Yokohama Para Spec 2s all round and they're absolutely brilliant.

Also, if you're able to get tyres delivered, and the drive them to a fitting centre, it'll work out cheaper.

I got 2 of the above Yokas fitted for a £5iver at kwikfit after ordering them online.

Try Camskill.co.uk

Maybe some of these:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s322p107832/

Your lucky then, as my local tyre place wanted £20 to fit two tyres I supplied. They need to make some money out of it. For a fiver that wouldn't even cover the cost of new valves and disposal of the old tyres.

T5RPete
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 14:07
Your lucky then, as my local tyre place wanted £20 to fit two tyres I supplied. They need to make some money out of it. For a fiver that wouldn't even cover the cost of new valves and disposal of the old tyres.

I went in at 9am on a Sunday morning, the place was empty, and asked of they could do it there and then. The guy asked if I was paying card or cash, I said cash.

Let's just say that the fiver didn't go in the till...

Harvey
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 14:57
I went in at 9am on a Sunday morning, the place was empty, and asked of they could do it there and then. The guy asked if I was paying card or cash, I said cash.

Let's just say that the fiver didn't go in the till...

Did the same with my one,the going rate seems to be £5 per tyre.

silverhorse
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 15:03
Firstly, before you buy nice new tyres and have them fitted, balanced and spend lots of money, get the knackered tyre off the wheel and take it to someone who has a dynamic wheel balancing machine. Most places have them, but just make sure.
Get the naked wheel tested for a bend/twist/buckle. If the force of the pothole was enough to trash a tyre, there is a good chance the wheel will be bent.
They can be straightened so don't panic, but if you put a nice new tyre on a bent wheel, you are still inviting trouble.

I have nice 18s on my V70 and before I had them refurbed got them tested. 2 were nearly square. Like you, my roads are awful.

Secondly, don't be fooled by people saying you MUST HAVE the Pirellis and Michelins of this world. Don't lose sight of the fact that you are driving a diesel Volvo, not a Lotus Elise. Definitely stay clear of the budgets, but mid range tyres are perfectly good for what you need. A friend of mine owns a tyre sales place and he has mid range ones on all his cars (911, Elise, Holdon Commodore V8 Ozzy thingy) and that speaks volumes.
The new EU labeling on all new tyres gives you an idea of noise, efficiency, wet performance. So you can make an informed choice, not the choice you think you SHOULD make or what others think you should make.

PS, welcome to the forum!!

Scopetrekker
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 15:16
Many thanks for taking the time to reply and for the advice.

silverhorse
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 15:25
No worries mate, hope you get sorted.

Scopetrekker
Thursday 27th June 2013, 18:54
Well Guys finally opted for 2 x Barum Bravuris II which I'm told are made by Continental.

Got a fantastic deal on Ebay - National tyres were selling 2 Barum's fully fitted and balanced at the National tyres centre of your choice for £200.09!

I'm still left with 2 x budget tyres on the back at the moment, In a couple of months i will either buy 2 more Barums or maybe put some Avon ZZ5's on the front and move the Barums to the back..... watch this space!

Many thanks for the advice.

Leeds_finest
Thursday 27th June 2013, 19:51
I haven't tried the Potenza S001...

...but I swear by the Potenza RE040 or RE050 if you can get hold of these? They're not cheap and they do wear quickly but the compound is soft so they grip very well :)

cherry1809
Thursday 27th June 2013, 20:36
Currently running Goodyear Eagle F1 all-round. Good grip, low road noise but a bit dear.

Squirtydog
Thursday 27th June 2013, 22:14
I tend to wait for the 6 monthly Costco 4 for 3 deal and buy 4 Michelin for all cars (pilot sport 3 on the R). If I only need two, then I keep hold of the other two and they fit them for free at a later date. Wear seems fine, grip is great on the R cos it grips anyway, other cars I tend not to rag too much.

Gold 'N' Brown
Thursday 27th June 2013, 23:27
Has anyone got any experience or heard anything good or bad about Nankang NS2 Ultra Sports? I'm on a tight budget and need 4 tyres before the MOT. Obviously I'd love to follow the heard and put some Mr Sw@nky Pants all singing, all dancing, tyres on the car, but the reality it's just not really worth it in my circumstances. Most of my driving is done in town so I don't need something that offers the pinnacle of high speed cornering grip etc. Having said that, the only criteria is I want something that doesn't spin like a §§§§§§§ in low gears when the weather is wet (99% of the year in Edinburgh) like the current tyres do.

EDIT: How amusing that the swear filter doesn't like the word Swa nky :dunce:

silverhorse
Friday 28th June 2013, 04:20
Has anyone got any experience or heard anything good or bad about Nankang NS2 Ultra Sports?

They will be fine. You will spin up ANY tyre in a high power Volvo in the wet.

M-R-P
Friday 28th June 2013, 07:26
I've had Barums before. They were a good budget/mid range tyre but I found them noisy and didn't last as long as I liked. Did you go for the XL version? they have thicker sidewalls and should survive the potholes a bit better. For the extra 20-30 quid, I'd have gone for the Avon ZV5 as it's quieter, grippier in the wet and dry and can take a serious kicking - as I've found after thrashing them about for nearly 20k miles. Still 6mm+ all round.

M-R-P
Friday 28th June 2013, 07:34
A little tip for anybody using National Tyres -

Ask to take your old tyres home. They knock - off the disposal fee (about a fiver). Then just donate the tyres to a school. (they use them in the playground or garden). ;)

graemewelch
Friday 28th June 2013, 08:25
[QUOTE=Gold 'N' Brown;620607]Has anyone got any experience or heard anything good or bad about Nankang NS2 Ultra Sports? I'm on a tight budget and need 4 tyres before the MOT. Obviously I'd love to follow the heard and put some Mr Sw@nky Pants all singing, all dancing, tyres on the car, but the reality it's just not really worth it in my circumstances. Most of my driving is done in town so I don't need something that offers the pinnacle of high speed cornering grip etc. Having said that, the only criteria is I want something that doesn't spin like a §§§§§§§ in low gears when the weather is wet (99% of the year in Edinburgh) like the current tyres do.

i run 4 of these on my s60. i cant fault them. i fit them to all my cars

Scopetrekker
Friday 28th June 2013, 08:53
Yes....... I did go for the XL Barums so hopefully they should stand up to the potholes a little more!

Will see how they perform and as said maybe go for 2 more or possibly the Avon ZZ5's and move the Barums to the back?

M-R-P
Friday 28th June 2013, 09:04
Yes....... I did go for the XL Barums so hopefully they should stand up to the potholes a little more!

Will see how they perform and as said maybe go for 2 more or possibly the Avon ZZ5's and move the Barums to the back?

I can't speak for the 18" 35 profile jobbies but I went from Barum to Avon 225 x 45 x 17 and the difference was exceptional.

graemewelch
Friday 28th June 2013, 09:51
x18's should be 40 profile. i fitted 225-40-18 on mine. found the 235 tram lined tomuch

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 28th June 2013, 13:20
They will be fine. You will spin up ANY tyre in a high power Volvo in the wet.

Agreed, but I'm not talking about driving like a hooligan. I was finding that even small amounts of throttle in 2nd gear, in town driving, in the wet, would have the traction control going mental. To the point that accelerating under those conditions was positively pedestrian. But I suspect the tracking may be out, and the current tyres are past their best, so I'm hoping for a marked improvement with new tyres - whatever they may be - and having the tracking adjusted if necessary.

graemewelch
Friday 28th June 2013, 13:28
4 wheel alighnment is the way to go. mine only spins if pushed hard. but tc light will flash in 3rd if im heavy footed

silverhorse
Friday 28th June 2013, 16:28
4 wheel alighnment is the way to go.

Got to get mine done. Have been in some monster potholes last winter and also had the wishbones off to do the bushes, so it will be a miracle if they all still point the same way!!

LeeT5
Friday 28th June 2013, 16:48
I fitted these....

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/IMG_0909.png (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/LeeT5/media/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/IMG_0909.png.html)

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. They are way better than Pirelli's and Conti's and cheaper too! I also got a £40 fuel voucher for Tesco fuel, so £40 of Momentum it was then.

The outside 25% of the tread is 20% stiffer to aid cornering and prevent shoulder wear.

JimmyBurnWorld
Friday 28th June 2013, 17:44
I've had the following on my V70 D5

Kumho Ecsta Lesport KU39's : Good value, Grippy, but a bit soft and wore quickly. Noisy once worn in a bit
Dunlop SP Maxx TT: Good wet & dry grip, reasonably quiet, good wear rate
Goodyear Eagle F1 ASM2: Has these on the front. They lasted surprisingly well and were really sharp to turn in. Quite noisy though.
Currently on Firestone Firehawk SZ90u all round: Lasting well. Really noticed the difference coming from the Eagle's (nos such sharp turn in on roundabouts - had to lower my entry speeds on my daily commute :D).

I used Blackcircles a lot, then I approached the Blackcircles nominated garage directly and they did the Firehawks for £90 per corner fitted.

NORDIC R
Saturday 29th June 2013, 09:48
Avon zv5 seems to be best tyres for the forum here
I've sourced them locally for 70 quid each
That's next on the hitlist

welderone
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 09:09
Just fitted Prestivo Sport Extra Load to my s60 D5 £64 each all in, had these on my VW Bora TDI and they have a warranty too .Peter

p fandango
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 09:29
i've just bought 4 x 235/40/18 Sunew Sport tyres £226 delivered. Local ATS want £15 each to fit them :(

M-R-P
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 09:44
Don't use ATS then lol

Look for a local place that does part - worns and get them to fit them. My local scrappy fits tyres for about a tenner for the lot.

Jimmie
Tuesday 2nd July 2013, 10:41
I fitted these....

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/IMG_0909.png (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/LeeT5/media/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/IMG_0909.png.html)

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. They are way better than Pirelli's and Conti's and cheaper too! I also got a £40 fuel voucher for Tesco fuel, so £40 of Momentum it was then.

The outside 25% of the tread is 20% stiffer to aid cornering and prevent shoulder wear.
Lee how do you rate these tyres as i have had them fitted but seldom use the car?
The only difference mine would have cost more going the tesco route.

***Steve***
Saturday 13th July 2013, 10:25
Just as an aside for you guys, there is a website www.tyre-shopper.co.uk who use National Tyres as fitting centres, I have just saved over £100 on a pair of Dunlops for my works van!!!

LeeT5
Saturday 13th July 2013, 17:33
Lee how do you rate these tyres as i have had them fitted but seldom use the car?
The only difference mine would have cost more going the tesco route.

So far, they are a very good tyre. Not noisy and grip well. Brilliant in the wet and so far they wear evenly and very well too!

They look sexy as hell too and are an absolute joy to apply Meguires Tyre gel to the side wall. Very easy to apply on the smooth, flat side wall.

T5frankie
Saturday 13th July 2013, 17:36
i've just bought 4 x 235/40/18 Sunew Sport tyres £226 delivered. Local ATS want £15 each to fit them :(

the going rate is a fiver a corner

LeeT5
Saturday 13th July 2013, 17:39
Just as an aside for you guys, there is a website www.tyre-shopper.co.uk who use National Tyres as fitting centres, I have just saved over £100 on a pair of Dunlops for my works van!!!

Don't get me wrong, but i wouldn't take my car to my local 'National Tyres' if you paid me! or any branch of National Tyres for that matter :nono:. Now my van, that's a different matter, especially when i'm not paying for the tyres they fit.

LeeT5
Saturday 13th July 2013, 17:40

£10 Max (cash) at my local Tyre shop.

Harvey
Saturday 13th July 2013, 18:02
When I had my tyres fitted to my brand new rims,My local firm covered the locking lugs on the machine with a rubber tabs,and the fitter even lined up the logo on the tyre wall to the valves,Did cost me £5 each (cash sale) & 3 breakfast rolls,was more than happy.
:funkybana

p fandango
Saturday 13th July 2013, 18:11
not round here its not, phoned loads of placed & ended up paying £55 for the 4. One place even wanted £80 lol

graemewelch
Saturday 13th July 2013, 20:13
not round here its not, phoned loads of placed & ended up paying £55 for the 4. One place even wanted £80 lol

jesus. you must live in the posh end of town

T5frankie
Saturday 13th July 2013, 20:18

would have been cheaper to drive here to get them done lol

Slrmoco
Saturday 13th July 2013, 22:07
I ve fitted 4 new Evergreen on my P2 at 299,000miles now got 307,000 and they are superb,Highly recommend them on the 17" only £49 each probably bout £60 each on your size

graemewelch
Saturday 13th July 2013, 22:17
I ve fitted 4 new Evergreen on my P2 at 299,000miles now got 307,000 and they are superb,Highly recommend them on the 17" only £49 each probably bout £60 each on your size

a tyre called evergreen scares me lol

LeeT5
Wednesday 17th July 2013, 00:42

Did they have big windows? :rotfl:

volvokid
Wednesday 17th July 2013, 03:46
I fitted these....

My dad has these fitted to the rear of his S60R, he would be better of with budgets the way he drives now haha, he still has speed and safety on the brain though