PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

Dan H
Saturday 22nd June 2013, 16:24
Can anybody shed some light onto what the difference is between AWD suspention and normal 2wd suspention? Apart from the spring rate, what are the other differences?

danny-R
Saturday 22nd June 2013, 16:45
I can't , sorry lol

JamesT5
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 20:08
Can anybody shed some light onto what the difference is between AWD suspention and normal 2wd suspention? Apart from the spring rate, what are the other differences?

AWD rear suspension has Nivomats (self levelling suspension). In layman's terms it means you can carry a small elephant in the back and the rear end will still look like it's up on axle stands. ;)

JamesT5
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 20:09
Oh, some 2WD cars had Nivomats too, as far as I'm aware they're the ex-plod machines. MRP will no doubt give you a dissertation on Nivomats and AWD suspensions.... :hilarious

claymore
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 20:40

Everything is different, they are not interchangeable.

JamesT5
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 21:11
Everything is different, they are not interchangeable.

Anything can be done if you throw enough time and money at it.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 21:41
The front suspension isn't any different to the FWD apart from the springs are different to make the car higher.

As has been said, the rear suspension is a completely different setup, there is a frame built around the diff which contains the shocks, springs, wishbones, etc. The rear floorpan of the car is different with mountings for the suspension/diff unit.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/161.jpg

The petrol tank is also different, it sits like a saddle tank over the front of the diff/viscous coupling. The rear brakes are use 283mm discs and different calipers. The exhaust comes straight off the cat along the propshaft and over the N/S suspension to silencers behind the rear bumper.

HTH

Biff
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 23:36
It's different as been said. Lol
I've been working on some "drop bolts" to lower the rear of mine by 2" to level it out with 40mm springs when I hopefully find a pair.
As said its self leveling which will drop when you chuck a weight in the boot but levels out once you've driven round the block.
Some say its better but I don't see how it's better than a decent top spec coil over which along with an uprated damper are obsolete for this car unless you want to remortgage & ruin the ride.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 23:46
I replaced the Nivomats on my awd, £360 :( (and that was discounted from over £500, though they were genuine)

Biff
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 23:53
I replaced the Nivomats on my awd, £360 :( (and that was discounted from over £500, though they were genuine)

That's cheap as chips! Is that a 1 off deal? Mine seem ok but it's a nagging doubt they may give up. Off the service history it looks like its had some replacements but if I drop it it will certainly come back to haunt me. Lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 24th June 2013, 00:05
LOL, got them from FRF Swansea (via Rufe) was surprised at the discount (pretty sure I have got the price right) but it was a few years ago now (think it was around 2008).

Mine were knackered, oil all over them and dust boots were shredded

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 00:15
I'll bare that in mind. Cheers.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 24th June 2013, 00:19
They do a great service and delivery is quick (even with stuff from Sweden).

I did have a trawl through ebay and find some cheaper pattern parts though, the price has really come down these days.

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 00:25
They do a great service and delivery is quick (even with stuff from Sweden).

I did have a trawl through ebay and find some cheaper pattern parts though, the price has really come down these days.

Having had a nightmare with dodgy pattern parts (maf & radiator x2, idle control valve) I'm trying to keep it genuine as I replace things or uprate with decent spec mods. It's not cheap at all but I want the old girl reliable & genuine incase dread the thought I'd have to sell her I could show the receipts for 000's. lol

Dan H
Monday 24th June 2013, 00:54
The front suspension isn't any different to the FWD apart from the springs are different to make the car higher.

As has been said, the rear suspension is a completely different setup, there is a frame built around the diff which contains the shocks, springs, wishbones, etc. The rear floorpan of the car is different with mountings for the suspension/diff unit.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/161.jpg

The petrol tank is also different, it sits like a saddle tank over the front of the diff/viscous coupling. The rear brakes are use 283mm discs and different calipers. The exhaust comes straight off the cat along the propshaft and over the N/S suspension to silencers behind the rear bumper.

HTH

That's what I was looking for! As I was planning on buying normal 2wd Coilovers and seeing if they would fit ok, but by the sound of things the rear spring/shock set up won't fit on my rear subframe so I'll just give it a miss

danny-R
Monday 24th June 2013, 08:15
Can u not chop the rear springs lol

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 09:37
Can u not chop the rear springs lol

No mate, the nivomats will stay at the same height & it would shag the rebound up. Easiest way is the drop bolts, you get the same suspension travel with a lower ride height & the cost is 2 bolts and a few nuts or a sleeve to slide over the thread. Basically it fools the nivomats.
Nivomats look like they're upside down, this is the mounting from underneath the car.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/biff_3/null_zpsff9291bf.png
The 2 bolts are what you need to lengthen & the sleeve or row of nuts needs to sit under the mountings shoulder if you get me?
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/biff_3/null_zpsb0061767.png
Excuse the state of that photo, I borrowed it & my photobucket isn't a fan of edited pictures on my phone. Lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 24th June 2013, 10:48
Nivomats look like they're upside down, this is the mounting from underneath the car.

Yeah they're sort of easy to fit and not at the same time as you need to get the car high enough to fully extract the shock through the bottom of the suspension arm :/ But otherwise its 3 bolts and the thing drops out :)

Good idea with the longer bolts/sleeves :D

M-R-P
Monday 24th June 2013, 11:09
I was going to do something similar with my P2, using brackets to drop the bottom of the niv by about 65mm but I got lazy and just fitted lowering springs and OE rear shocks giving me about 70 - 75mm drop at the back :)

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 24th June 2013, 11:16
Volvo do list standard shocks for AWD 850/v70 models.
other countries , particularly Australia had cars without nivomat where our uk models got it as standard.

the difficult bit is getting the spring code number to order the standard spring that is correct .

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 12:11
other countries , particularly Australia had cars without nivomat where our uk models got it as standard.

the difficult bit is getting the spring code number to order the standard spring that is correct .
Since doing my homework on it I've discovered that our European r models (ph1 anyway) have a lowered ride height than other countries. It was a specified option I believe in the states.
It is a good idea with the bolts, i cant take credit for that though. lol I'm half tempted to make some solid poly mounts for it to sit on with holes through them to act as a sleeve. I have some very hard wearing stuff in work that's used on the mountings for the landing gear on a a380 so guess it would stand the awd & suspension movement on my r.
I won't be fitting them until I source some front shocks & springs though & that will probably be after my wedding. Lol

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 12:15

I've also seen the price of the springs to match if you get the right ones. Uprated or tuner springs are rare & expensive but I don't see why a custom set couldn't be made. The spring shop on Fred dibna could work out poundage the length required etc. lol

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 12:19
Yeah they're sort of easy to fit and not at the same time as you need to get the car high enough to fully extract the shock through the bottom of the suspension arm :/ But otherwise its 3 bolts and the thing drops out :)

Good idea with the longer bolts/sleeves :D
I can see that being a job for the big jacks in my mates then. Lol
Thanks for the heads up on that one. It's an odd system & old school Volvo as I'm led to believe. Effective none the less. I just think my car needs to go lower. Lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 24th June 2013, 14:36
I can see that being a job for the big jacks in my mates then. Lol
Thanks for the heads up on that one. It's an odd system & old school Volvo as I'm led to believe. Effective none the less. I just think my car needs to go lower. Lol
Yes, the suspension system was taken from the late 900 platform.

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 14:39
Yes, the suspension system was taken from the late 900 platform.

That can't be a bad thing at all.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 24th June 2013, 14:40
Indeed, the diff was also borrowed from the 900 series too :)

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 24th June 2013, 15:14
shame about the fact they used the viscous coupling from a rubber jellyfish.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 24th June 2013, 16:04
PMSL :D :D

It works though :/

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 19:36

I thought it was made of chocolate? I will find out soon, I've sourced some angle gear & a prop, all working on a breaker. I'll need a collar from the gear box to the angle gear then I should be ready for what ever winter can throw at me!!

Dangerous Dave
Monday 24th June 2013, 20:28
I'll need a collar from the gear box to the angle gear
New one from Volvo is around £90

Biff
Monday 24th June 2013, 20:45
Worth it for the reassurance really.

Dan H
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 00:40
Good shout with the collars for the bolts, I'll invest in some of them, may get on the look out for some front lowering springs too (I know i should get the right spring rate but I've never had any problems with any of the other cars I've lowered using different spring rate to standard

Cheers for the Help guys!

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 01:06
As Biff has said, the R AWD is lower than the standard AWD (not sure how much) so you could get the R springs.

Biff
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 09:10
It's not a lot, about 30mm but sure if you uprated the dampers it would match up ok.
Good luck with the lowering of the rear, if you carry out the mod before me please come back with lots of pictures & a before & after.
I've got to wait till oct before I do mine you see.

Dan H
Tuesday 25th June 2013, 23:41
I should hopefully have mine done by end of august! I'll be happy with 30mm lower than what it is now, don't want it silly low, past that stage now, but yeah I'll try to remeber to get some pictures, before, during and after.