PDA

View Full Version : 940 cutting out when just after starting

wiganer31
Wednesday 19th June 2013, 17:30
hi ive got a problem with my b230fk 940 ive done a search but still not sure whats wrong, when i start the car the revs bob up and down around 500rpm, normally if u keep the revs up for a min its ok but the other night i was out and it was cutting out while slowing down, not even going that slow and the revs wasnt always that low and still cutting out (although today it isnt doing it while slowing down anymore), there was a vac pipe off so ive replaced that and added a boost gauge, it seemed ok after i fixed that but later when i used the car the revs started dropping off again just after starting, i cannot find any more vac leaks, ive adjusted the cable so the revs are just under 1k when started but still seems abit off. anyone any ideas? i want to get the car running correctly before i start turning the boost up and things,
sorry if ive missed something but did a search and couldnt find much

cheers

stribo
Wednesday 19th June 2013, 17:59
I'd suggest looking at the Idle Control Valve, and the MAF, unplug each in turn, and see if it makes any difference.

smithy
Wednesday 19th June 2013, 20:58
hi ive got a problem with my b230fk 940 ive done a search but still not sure whats wrong, when i start the car the revs bob up and down around 500rpm, normally if u keep the revs up for a min its ok but the other night i was out and it was cutting out while slowing down, not even going that slow and the revs wasnt always that low and still cutting out (although today it isnt doing it while slowing down anymore), there was a vac pipe off so ive replaced that and added a boost gauge, it seemed ok after i fixed that but later when i used the car the revs started dropping off again just after starting, i cannot find any more vac leaks, ive adjusted the cable so the revs are just under 1k when started but still seems abit off. anyone any ideas? i want to get the car running correctly before i start turning the boost up and things,
sorry if ive missed something but did a search and couldnt find much

cheers
Check the tps and also the tb .the 940 has an adjustable tps it might have come loose .also clean the icv and check all pipes .you should here the tps clicking and you turn the tb throttle control but it only needs to turn alittle to here click .

wiganer31
Thursday 20th June 2013, 00:14
cheers guys i will have a look tomorrow, will take the bits off my 360 if i have to as its got a b230fk in, im starting to think icv myself, not used to working on anything like this, seems modern to me lol

wiganer31
Thursday 20th June 2013, 16:50
cleaned the icv and now the emissions lights on

redbaron
Friday 21st June 2013, 10:25
could be the lambda sensor bucked, mine runs like a pig on LPG (lambda sensor burnt out), I take it you've checked the MAF is working (swap the one off your 360)

one thing i know a lot of the yanks do is pull out the fuse for the ECU to force it to re-learn and see how it runs, after that I'd try unplugging the lambda sensor then relearn the ECU

wiganer31
Friday 21st June 2013, 18:03
cheers for the advice, ive swaped over the icv and it seems to start up ok now (will have to try it later when it cools down), hopefully that will be ok now, will try and check the lambda sensor tomorrow and see what that's like.

while im here has anyone on here made there own exhaust? im going to be making myself a 2.5" system and want to see what other people have done

cheers

smithy
Friday 21st June 2013, 19:14
cheers for the advice, ive swaped over the icv and it seems to start up ok now (will have to try it later when it cools down), hopefully that will be ok now, will try and check the lambda sensor tomorrow and see what that's like.

while im here has anyone on here made there own exhaust? im going to be making myself a 2.5" system and want to see what other people have done

cheers
I run a 3in exhaust but I do have a couple of minor mods too though .mine should help with the power though.for total stock car 2.5in will be fine mate

AndysR
Friday 21st June 2013, 19:41
Apparently these have a habit if fouling their throttle body's which restricts air flow. On mine it used to fire up and idle initially really low/lumpy. I've since replaced the distributor cap and rotor arm which were absolutely shot to bits, the original cap and rotor arm for 225,000! Lol
I've also cleaned the throttle body and its made a hell of a difference to starting and engine idle smoothness...

wiganer31
Saturday 22nd June 2013, 01:08
ok been out tonight and its better but still not as should be, cheers andy i will try what you have said.

smithy i was thinking about doing a 3" setup but for what power im thinking of going for i dont think it needs it, and im hoping it wont be as loud, ive got a straight threw 2.5" on my 360 and its whey to loud for every day use so im going to try a 2.5 with a silencer for the 940, do plan on doing a few mods but nothing silly

cheers

smithy
Saturday 22nd June 2013, 02:18
ok been out tonight and its better but still not as should be, cheers andy i will try what you have said.

smithy i was thinking about doing a 3" setup but for what power im thinking of going for i dont think it needs it, and im hoping it wont be as loud, ive got a straight threw 2.5" on my 360 and its whey to loud for every day use so im going to try a 2.5 with a silencer for the 940, do plan on doing a few mods but nothing silly

cheers
I know what you mean mate but mine has a 3in exhaust with just a back box and its quiet really .i know what you mean about the mods mate I've gone very mild with my car too.

wiganer31
Saturday 22nd June 2013, 20:31
I know what you mean mate but mine has a 3in exhaust with just a back box and its quiet really .i know what you mean about the mods mate I've gone very mild with my car too.

hmm im just abit worried about going for a 3" with the 360 being so loud, did have non road legal bike can on it though, suppose i could build a 2.5" system and if i do go for a bigger turbo i coud put a 3" down pipe on, just wanna get it running spot on first

barkster1971
Sunday 23rd June 2013, 20:04
Mines got 1 silencer and a race cat, 3'' all the way (945). It's not that loud:smile:

wiganer31
Thursday 27th June 2013, 20:21
hmm might have a look at 3"

could anyone on here give me abit of tuning advice, ive been doing abit of reading up on tuning the b230fk/redblocks and its starting to confuse me as no one seems to agree, this is what i was looking at on tb:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=166164
but then i have read differnt else were, also read that you dont need to buy chips for the ecu or a cam but most of the people on turbobricks seem to be using cam and chips?
ive serviced my car now and am going to open the filter up, mbc, decat and de'silencer the exhaust, i eventually want go go for around 250bhp-300bhp and i was going to use a td04 16t(i think it was), 2.5"/3" exhaust, injectors (of some kind?) maybe bigger intercooler/pipework(although read the standard one is ok for around 250hp?), but i would just do it all at the same time unlike most of the people on tb, but like i say im unsure if chips and cam are needed? as i read the standard ecu can learn up to 300hp? i will be useing the car for every day use and abit of drifting so i want it to boost low down and not be very laggy, what advantages would chips add if there not needed? or are they needed?

sorry for all the questions but starting to get confused with what im reading now

cheers

smithy
Friday 28th June 2013, 13:09
hmm might have a look at 3"

could anyone on here give me abit of tuning advice, ive been doing abit of reading up on tuning the b230fk/redblocks and its starting to confuse me as no one seems to agree, this is what i was looking at on tb:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=166164
but then i have read differnt else were, also read that you dont need to buy chips for the ecu or a cam but most of the people on turbobricks seem to be using cam and chips?
ive serviced my car now and am going to open the filter up, mbc, decat and de'silencer the exhaust, i eventually want go go for around 250bhp-300bhp and i was going to use a td04 16t(i think it was), 2.5"/3" exhaust, injectors (of some kind?) maybe bigger intercooler/pipework(although read the standard one is ok for around 250hp?), but i would just do it all at the same time unlike most of the people on tb, but like i say im unsure if chips and cam are needed? as i read the standard ecu can learn up to 300hp? i will be useing the car for every day use and abit of drifting so i want it to boost low down and not be very laggy, what advantages would chips add if there not needed? or are they needed?

sorry for all the questions but starting to get confused with what im reading now

cheers

Hello mate go into voc on the performance section and you will see a 940 on a dyno and that has no chips at all .see what you think and that car did a 13.9 on the strip with no proper launch ether.thats running standard t cam too .it all depends on what you want to do with the car and how you want the car to drive then you can go down the route that suits you.

wiganer31
Friday 28th June 2013, 19:40
Hello mate go into voc on the performance section and you will see a 940 on a dyno and that has no chips at all .see what you think and that car did a 13.9 on the strip with no proper launch ether.thats running standard t cam too .it all depends on what you want to do with the car and how you want the car to drive then you can go down the route that suits you.

good to see it works without chips and cam, what turbo and cooler you running? like i say i want to use the ca for every day use and a few drift days, what advantage would chips and cam give on a setup like yours?

cheers

smithy
Friday 28th June 2013, 20:41
good to see it works without chips and cam, what turbo and cooler you running? like i say i want to use the ca for every day use and a few drift days, what advantage would chips and cam give on a setup like yours?

cheers
A cam does help but it also pushes the powerband up the rev range .best to pick a turbo and then choose the cam too suit .the v cam and a cam are about the best stock cams you can get in the uk .ive never used chips because the 3in maf and matched injectors did the trick for me .

wiganer31
Sunday 30th June 2013, 00:37
i think i want to use a td04 16t, not sure what injectors to use if anyone knows? what's the 3"maf come off?

smithy
Sunday 30th June 2013, 00:41
i think i want to use a td04 16t, not sure what injectors to use if anyone knows? what's the 3"maf come off?

If you are going to use a 3in maf you will need bigger injectors .and the 16t is a good upgrade but you will not see 300 bhp and you also have to clock the turbo for rwd same as 13c

wiganer31
Sunday 30th June 2013, 01:20
If you are going to use a 3in maf you will need bigger injectors .and the 16t is a good upgrade but you will not see 300 bhp and you also have to clock the turbo for rwd same as 13c

yea not sure on what injectors i will need yet, ned to look into that, reason im thinking 16t is im hopeing there will be less lag than a 19t. i have been looking at how to clock it, ive found one cheap enough and close to me but need look into a few things abit more first

wiganer31
Saturday 6th July 2013, 01:19
ordered a mbc now, found a 16t local at a good price, what injectors would people advise? and whats the 3" amm off?
chheers