PDA

View Full Version : New T4 owner with questions.

Quicksilver
Sunday 16th June 2013, 23:14
Hi, just acquired a 2k V40 T4 SE auto with 115k, three local owners with full service history (with bills) Met Black with full leather, she's got some issues the bodywork needs some work there's not a panel without a scratch or ding but the inside is nice and everything works, so I've got some questions so bare with me.

1 - Fuel pump is quite noisy, it's low on fuel at moment should I be worried?
2 - The starter motor turns over really slow, it's got a big Bosch silver top battery (replaced 05) I've got it on charge at the moment.
3 - What grade oil should I use? Always used 10w 40 semi in the R.

Cheers
Steve

JUDGENINJA
Monday 17th June 2013, 00:54
1 - Fuel pump is quite noisy, it's low on fuel at moment should I be worried?
I'd have thought the fuel pump should sound the same regardless of whether it is low on fuel or not. only when it is empty should it make a load sound, but if it working and it is getting the fuel, the. Why worry about it at the moment?

2 - The starter motor turns over really slow, it's got a big Bosch silver top battery (replaced 05) I've got it on charge at the moment.
A bit of self diagnosis going on, you'll probably answer your own question if charging fixes it or not.

3 - What grade oil should I use? Always used 10w 40 semi in the R.
I think I have gradually migrated to fully synthetic in mine, something like 5w30 or something. 10w40 is a good middle of the road oil,
I doubt you'll do much damage with that as the Volvo engine seems to be very robust

LiamT4
Monday 17th June 2013, 21:10
I used 10-40 semi on mine, oil and filter changed every 6 months to keep it running well.

T5frankie
Monday 17th June 2013, 21:18
dont use 5w30 it doesn't protect enough when the oil is hot, i should know i broke stuff with it lol, i use 10w50 for good cold and hot protection now

Quicksilver
Monday 17th June 2013, 21:50
I've gone 5w 40 full syn, Euro Car Parts have a good deal on it at the moment, I'm going to try it in my BMW this year aswell.

mitchyboy01
Monday 17th June 2013, 22:28
Another T4 owner! Awesome.

When my fuel pump was going it had a noticable flat spot over 4k revs.

My battery is too small for my car and still turns over ok unless very cold.

I use any oil I can afford at the time. Usually a quality 10/40 semi or if I'm flush a fully synth. I change it very frequently (4K) and is usually still golden when it pours out.

I feel your pain with the bodywork, although I just bought 2 secondhand doors which are in good condition so hopefully rid me of some scratches lol

Get some pics up for us!

Quicksilver
Tuesday 18th June 2013, 08:50
Thanks for welcome Mitch, only drive it properly yesterday and I must say its quick!!!
As has been said the build quality is not in the same league as my V70 there's no such thing as rust on that.

I always used 10w 40 semi in both cars but Euro Car Parts are doing Qx full syn for same money, they also do it in 1litre bottles.

If I ever work out how to post pictures I will, off to Euro again to pick a pair of drop links.

Haizum74
Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 23:56
Thanks for welcome Mitch, only drive it properly yesterday and I must say its quick!!!
As has been said the build quality is not in the same league as my V70 there's no such thing as rust on that.

I always used 10w 40 semi in both cars but Euro Car Parts are doing Qx full syn for same money, they also do it in 1litre bottles.

If I ever work out how to post pictures I will, off to Euro again to pick a pair of drop links.

Did you get the DL's? If not go here and get em, http://www.allgermanparts.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1908474-S40-and-V40-front-roll-bar-link-Meyle-HD-516-060-0009HD-30884179.html

Oh and 10/40 semi is fine. Used it in mine and change every 6 months or so. Currently got 5/30 I think (local mech changed it for a stamp in the log book)

960kg
Thursday 4th July 2013, 17:53
If your battery is ok, then check all the engine earth straps to body for oxidation etc. .....there a a couple knocking around in the engine department.

Slomo
Thursday 11th July 2013, 19:33
YAY

Another T4 owner.. Mine is poorly at the moment but will be back on the road soon I hope :)

Quicksilver
Friday 12th July 2013, 00:40
Hello, ours is black also (332 Black Met) trying to find some replacement body panels in the right colour at the moment.