PDA

View Full Version : Number plate light stays on

Plodmonkey
Friday 14th June 2013, 13:12
Can any one tell me why the number plate light stays on as just went to pull it out and nearly burnt my fingers off and the battery keeps going flat all the time

M-R-P
Friday 14th June 2013, 13:32
Is the headlight switch set to sidelights or off? If it's set to sidelights, the sidelights and numberplate lights stay on.

Otherwise, it could be the wiring loom playing up inside the roof lining.

Plodmonkey
Friday 14th June 2013, 13:34
All off mate were abouts is it

M-R-P
Friday 14th June 2013, 13:40
Remove the boot light in the roof, undo the T25 torx bolt and pull the panel off. The wiring comes in through the n/s tailgate hinge and over to the D-pillar. the connector plug is behind the top half of the light cluster, attached to the pillar. The fray will be somewhere near the hinge mechanism.

Plodmonkey
Friday 14th June 2013, 14:04
Cheers al have a look

M-R-P
Friday 14th June 2013, 14:06
It's a common problem, although I've not heard of the numberplate lights staying on.

M-R-P
Friday 14th June 2013, 14:08
You'll probably need to remove the D-pillar trim too. most of it pulls off but I think there's some screws in the top window trim that may need to come out to release the D-pillar trim - it's all held together like a plastic 3D jigsaw.

LeeT5
Saturday 15th June 2013, 10:34
If the lights are staying 'on' then that indicates a short to earth on that circuit, not a broken wire.

You either have a faulty headlight switch, a CAN BUS error or, as I said, a short to earth (maybe water ingress in the harness or plug connectors somewhere)

I have a similar ongoing problem with my sidelights staying on when they should go off when removing the ignition key and the switch is in pos.2