PDA

View Full Version : Cheesed off

T5frankie
Thursday 13th June 2013, 17:30
Got a letter through the post today stating that the s70 tdi needs a vic check before they will issue a v5, there are no obvious signs of damage but the airbag light cannot be turned off so there is a break somewhere in the srs system, vic check is £41 ffs good job i got the bloke who sold me it to tax it cos i wouldnt have been able to, just what i needed after losing my debit card today :grumpy::icon_soap:B_rant::comp::mad111::wallbash:

stephenevans99
Thursday 13th June 2013, 17:48
It's a CAT C if it needs a VIC test iirc

MIKESC70T5
Thursday 13th June 2013, 17:53
Got a letter through the post today stating that the s70 tdi needs a vic check before they will issue a v5, there are no obvious signs of damage but the airbag light cannot be turned off so there is a break somewhere in the srs system, vic check is £41 ffs good job i got the bloke who sold me it to tax it cos i wouldnt have been able to, just what i needed after losing my debit card today :grumpy::icon_soap:B_rant::comp::mad111::wallbash:

When you bought the car didn't you get the V5/C part of the V5?

T5frankie
Thursday 13th June 2013, 17:57
When you bought the car didn't you get the V5/C part of the V5?

yes mate all done properly, it wasnt taxed and i made him tax it and i paid the extra to him. obviously he has sent the log book of and i have got the letter today

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 13th June 2013, 19:18
I've only ever attempted to put one Cat C back on the road - I rescued it from a scrappers - renault megane coupe. After some stretching on a jig I had to put it through the VIC (which it passed). I made no money and it was a real PITA. I would only consider it if I was keeping the car.

T5frankie
Thursday 13th June 2013, 19:26
I've only ever attempted to put one Cat C back on the road - I rescued it from a scrappers - renault megane coupe. After some stretching on a jig I had to put it through the VIC (which it passed). I made no money and it was a real PITA. I would only consider it if I was keeping the car.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car though, you wouldnt know to look at it and it drives normally

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 13th June 2013, 19:28
Did you know it was a Cat C when you bought it?

T5frankie
Thursday 13th June 2013, 19:31
Did you know it was a Cat C when you bought it?

no mate it was only 700 quid and was a bit of a rush to go and collect it, didnt even cross my mind, i should have car checked it, but it was cheap

MIKESC70T5
Thursday 13th June 2013, 20:05
there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car though, you wouldnt know to look at it and it drives normally

Obviously there is something wrong with it or it wouldn't be a Cat C.

no mate it was only 700 quid and was a bit of a rush to go and collect it, didnt even cross my mind, i should have car checked it, but it was cheap

Not so cheap now though, what's it worth now as I doubt anybody would give you more than £300 knowing its a Cat car :worried:

merc85
Thursday 13th June 2013, 20:21
Tbh one of my merc 190's had a smash and was classed cat C, i had to get it VIC checked, which it past and all was good, It wrote off a renault laguna lol The mercedes was still straight, the front slam panel 2 headlights and bonnet were replaced and i bought it back off the insurance company.

T5frankie
Thursday 13th June 2013, 20:22
Obviously there is something wrong with it or it wouldn't be a Cat C.

Not so cheap now though, what's it worth now as I doubt anybody would give you more than £300 knowing its a Cat car :worried:

but its not for sale so that point isnt even valid, there maybe was something wrong but its been repaired

merc85
Thursday 13th June 2013, 20:26
If its past/passes a VIC check it will be road worthy, nowt to stress about bud

stephenevans99
Thursday 13th June 2013, 20:29
A VIC test has nothing to do with road worthiness.....it's merely an Identity Check hence Vehicle Identity Check. It's to make sure the car that's going back on the road is the original car and not some 'ringer'.

T5frankie
Thursday 13th June 2013, 20:31
A VIC test has nothing to do with road worthiness.....it's merely an Identity Check hence Vehicle Identity Check. It's to make sure the car that's going back on the road is the original car and not some 'ringer'.

yeah thats all it is to make sure its the right chassis etc

stephenevans99
Thursday 13th June 2013, 20:35
I wouldn't be too worried about a CAT C car of that age.....once a car is worth say a £1000, a door mirror knocked off and a minor scrape on the door will write it off and deem it a Category C. I bought a 1999 Nissan Micra a few years back from Copart for £250 - it was a CAT C and it had it's door mirror knocked off and the smallest scratch on the door from the mirror. New door mirror - MOT'd & VIC - Sold it for £800

craigoodwood
Friday 14th June 2013, 09:31
and also if it was a cat C during his ownership he wouldn't of needed to have the vic check, it only comes into to play when the new owner comes to register it etc....
i used to work in a salvage yard and i brought a gti6 from there with a dented bonnet still tax'd an mot'd, i took it to the vic check without touching it its only to make sure all the chassis numbers match and a lesser check over than an mot ;)

eck
Saturday 15th June 2013, 12:03
My Civic was just written off on a Cat C for a §§§§§§ed rear bumper and requiring a new slam panel (that's just a bolt in item). So I wouldn't be too concerned. With cheaper cars, it doesn't seem to matter really; as long as it's sound. The extra £41 is a bit of an inconvenience though!

T5frankie
Saturday 15th June 2013, 12:05
My Civic was just written off on a Cat C for a §§§§§§ed rear bumper and requiring a new slam panel (that's just a bolt in item). So I wouldn't be too concerned. With cheaper cars, it doesn't seem to matter really; as long as it's sound. The extra £41 is a bit of an inconvenience though!

i know it will pass as you say its an extra 41 quid i didnt get told of plus getting and going to an appointment in the week

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 17th June 2013, 15:53
when the airbags go off , the ecu must be replaced - it cant be reset so i bet thats what it is.

like you say, probably legitimately reapired but they probably baulked at the cost of a new srs ecu.

are all the seatbelts ok and not locked ?

Kingsford G
Monday 17th June 2013, 18:06
I wouldn't be too worried about a CAT C car of that age.....once a car is worth say a £1000, a door mirror knocked off and a minor scrape on the door will write it off and deem it a Category C. I bought a 1999 Nissan Micra a few years back from Copart for £250 - it was a CAT C and it had it's door mirror knocked off and the smallest scratch on the door from the mirror. New door mirror - MOT'd & VIC - Sold it for £800

What he said.You`ll need a new mot done too.If the car is good it doesn`t matter if its a cad c.Going to cost you a little more but don`t be disappointed mate.

T5frankie
Monday 17th June 2013, 18:39
when the airbags go off , the ecu must be replaced - it cant be reset so i bet thats what it is.

like you say, probably legitimately reapired but they probably baulked at the cost of a new srs ecu.

are all the seatbelts ok and not locked ?
everything is fine just got the airbag light on the dash, nothing else, i cant clear it either on vol-fcs

Rudeyboy18
Monday 17th June 2013, 19:42
I believe insurance is voided when a VIC marker outstanding on the car. Plus current MOT is invalid if it was MOT'd before the "accident" and the tax is invalid I think. You can only use the car to drive to a planned VIC centre with no tax. Also the car needs re mot'ing for after the date of the accident. I had this same situation with a car I bought this year.... bought for 375 (seller lied about V5. said it was lost. when actually it was taken by DVLA. and VIC issued . )with intentions of selling for 800. Ended up putting on ebay with VIC marker in description and went for £300. Well §§§§ed off

thewatsonsmouts
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 21:19
Ive seen the car and its a beaut

T5frankie
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 21:20
Ive seen the car and its a beaut

have you? when did you manage that?

MIKESC70T5
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 21:45
have you? when did you manage that?

He's seen the original one, yours is the cloned cut and shut one lol.

T5frankie
Wednesday 26th June 2013, 21:55
He's seen the original one, yours is the cloned cut and shut one lol.

lol