PDA

View Full Version : Top spring mount change

Bavers
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 23:12
Hi guys,
Has anyone done a upper front strut mount change before? I have got a P2 2000 V70 T5 with 140k and there is a terrible squeak and knock over bumps and I think it might be the upper strut mount but I haven't got a clue where to start. I have checked out the how to guides but I cant seem to find one.

Firstly does anyone know the best place to get hold of one and how easy are they to change?
I have a decent set of spanners so might give it a go myself are there any other tools that I will need?
Thanks

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 23:15
This should help... click me! (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?38699-How-to-polybush-your-wishbones-while-changing-shocks)

It's not dedicated to the top mounts but shows you how to remove it all.

Bavers
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 23:41
Thanks that's going to help. Just a quick question. When changing the upper mount do you have to change the spring seat as well? As looking at a pic of the upper mount you don't get the spring seat in it?

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 23:43
The spring seat should be changed more often tbh. My mounts are 202500 miles old and just about ok, the spring seats however have started to fail after only 18 months. the seats are about £15 each so well worth doing.

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 23:45
Have you checked the drop links (anti roll bar link) as they can cause squeaks and knocks, as can the wishbone bushes (I may have asked this before but I'm doing 3 things at once tonight lol)

Bavers
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 23:58
Cheers, no I haven't checked. I think I might replace the drop links anyway as I think there only about £15 a pop. Thanks for you help

M-R-P
Thursday 13th June 2013, 00:02
Cheers, no I haven't checked. I think I might replace the drop links anyway as I think there only about £15 a pop. Thanks for you help

Always start with the cheapest/easiest option mate. and don't scrimp on the droplinks, I got Mayle HD droplinks for £39 delivered. Very good parts.

jdavis
Thursday 13th June 2013, 08:21
Can vouch for what Martin says about don't scrimp on droplinks. The pattern ones I fitted 6 months ago as a tide me by are already worn on gaitor.

JamesT5
Thursday 13th June 2013, 08:38
Thanks that's going to help. Just a quick question. When changing the upper mount do you have to change the spring seat as well? As looking at a pic of the upper mount you don't get the spring seat in it?

I'd change both, I did because mine were totally knackered (see photo). Change them both as it will be cheaper in the long run....

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/P1010667_zps3c2b51c5.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/_JamesT5/media/P1010667_zps3c2b51c5.jpg.html)

Bavers
Thursday 13th June 2013, 22:43
Thanks guys. I am going to change the drop links and the near side top spring mount and spring seat.
Dies anyone know the best place to get them?

JamesT5
Thursday 13th June 2013, 23:40
Thanks guys. I am going to change the drop links and the near side top spring mount and spring seat.
Dies anyone know the best place to get them?

Try Parts For Volvos first.