PDA

View Full Version : New Inner Tie Rods, Wheel Alignment and Aircon re-gas done today.

JamesT5
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 16:05
I took my car to ATS Euromaster today and got the usual first class service from them I always get. They fitted new inner tie-rods (Bilstein), did a 4 wheel alignment and an Aircon regas.

They took 850 grams of gas out of the Aircon system and recharged it to 1000 grams as recommended which meant a 15% gas loss in one year which I understand is not unusual.

The steering feels a little more precise now and not so wooly, although on inspecting the links now they're off the car the one has no play at all and the other only has a slight amount of play. That annoying 'rattle' on the drivers side I haven't heard today having has the links done so I really don't know whether that link was causing it, or whether they've just tightened something up inadvertently and it's stopped the noise. Either way, things feel a little more precise now. :beer:

One thing that concerned them and me, was the Gaitors that cover the links had power steering fluid in them and they weren't sure whether this was an intentional thing or whether there is a leak in to the Gaitors from the steering rack. If anyone knows the definitive answer to this then I'd be grateful. :B_thumb:

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 16:13
You have the usual leaky p/s reservoir cap that most P2s have mate, chances are, it's dribbled down onto the rack (well, drivers side anyway)

silverhorse
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 17:30
did a 4 wheel alignment

I was thinking of going for that. Firstly, how much and secondly, I am sure there was a thread on here saying that the rear geometry is non adjustable on the P2 V70??? or someone was told that by a garage.
Any ideas??

Well done in hopefully sorting the rattle!!!

Harvey
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 18:23
the rack rod ends covers should be dry a little bit of fluid-damp not to worry about .but if they could drain fluid out of the covers not good news,
but if you are not having to top up the fluid leave well alone.
the covers are just to keep the dirt out thats all.

JamesT5
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 21:40
the rack rod ends covers should be dry a little bit of fluid-damp not to worry about .but if they could drain fluid out of the covers not good news,
but if you are not having to top up the fluid leave well alone.
the covers are just to keep the dirt out thats all.

There was enough fluid within the Gaitors that they had to put sand down on the floor afterwards, they suggested I might have a leak from the steering rack seal.

JamesT5
Wednesday 12th June 2013, 21:44
I was thinking of going for that. Firstly, how much and secondly, I am sure there was a thread on here saying that the rear geometry is non adjustable on the P2 V70??? or someone was told that by a garage.
Any ideas??

Well done in hopefully sorting the rattle!!!

My local ATS are good, they rounded down my bill and saved me £17. The rear toe adjustment can be done, there is a nut on the back to do it but they had dreadful trouble doing mine as the bolts are rusted (did think why they hadn't heard of penetrating fluid).

Anyway..... The cost at ATS is about £42 for the front and a little extra for the back to be done but well worth it to save on tyre wear and improve handling. It is a bit of a money spinner for the garage but you can't exactly do it at home and unless you know someone in the trade who can do it for beer money you're pretty much at the mercy of the garage.