PDA

View Full Version : Boost problems

T5pike
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 21:23
Bit of a problem people i connected a t pice to my turbo then pipe to a gadge to see how much boost i woz running i ran car up the road and gadge moves on dash but get no reading on gadge? I have connected the t pice to the same pipe that feeds the actuater i gess this is right as this is the same way as i have done outher cars and had no probs.Also does anybody no how much boost im looking for? Does this mean no reading poorly turby?

Andrew
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 21:28
Bit of a problem people i connected a t pice to my turbo then pipe to a gadge to see how much boost i woz running i ran car up the road and gadge moves on dash but get no reading on gadge? I have connected the t pice to the same pipe that feeds the actuater i gess this is right as this is the same way as i have done outher cars and had no probs.Also does anybody no how much boost im looking for? Does this mean no reading poorly turby?

If your getting movement on the dash but not the gauge I'd say either there is a kink in the pipe or the T-piece may be incorrectly fitted - does it have a one way return valve (assuming bronze one)....

volvotuning
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 21:46

That's not the right place to put it cos you're reading actuator pressure not turbo pressure. The ECU controls the boost pressure and sends a "partial" boost signal back to the actuator (via the boost controller) which is what you're seeing.

What you need to measure is the boost pressure at the inlet manifold.

Remember that the actuator strength on a T5 ranges from 2-5 psi normally, so if you measure boost in the actuator hose, that's all you will ever see. Where you have plumbed the gauge in would have worked on an old Cossy for example, but not on a ECU controlled boost system.

Adam.

T5pike
Friday 21st October 2005, 21:24
Hello mate thanks for your reply.
I will give that a try and maybe i will see something!
Im not sure if the turbo is on its way out as i seem to be getting strange puffs of smoke when i change gear at high rpm.where wud you suggest a new one from? also do you no if i cud put a T5r turbo on it or will i have to do lots of mods? cheers mate. :eek:

Andrew
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 01:13
Hello mate thanks for your reply.
I will give that a try and maybe i will see something!
Im not sure if the turbo is on its way out as i seem to be getting strange puffs of smoke when i change gear at high rpm.where wud you suggest a new one from? also do you no if i cud put a T5r turbo on it or will i have to do lots of mods? cheers mate. :eek:

T5pike - where are you located ... could be one of the locals can help you out.

T5pike
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 17:56
Hello mate im from wellingborough.
Wot bout you?