PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt kits - would you choose Volvo, or Gates/Dayco etc?

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 10th June 2013, 01:43
What's the general feel for quality on the cambelt kits offered by the usual aftermarket brands when it comes to Volvos?

I've been wanting to stick to OE Volvo stuff as much as possible for the Stage O servicing on my early Ph2 V70 T5, but there comes up a point where the budget dictates that something's got to give. It's nice in an ideal world, but equally I have to accept that spending the extra won't necessarily make it worth any more come resale in a few years time. So now the decision comes down to whether there's any perceived risk due to inferior quality if I don't use Volvo parts (which I think is unlikely, but no harm in getting a consensus).

So, genuine Volvo kit is £120ish from PFV. I'll be calling Rufe for a quote though.
On eBay, a Gates Powergrip kit will be about £100 (gotta be good, it's got "Power" in the name LOL. Besides, the current belt is a Powergrip item). But coming in from left field, we have a continental Contitech kit for £50! That's value that can't be sniffed at, but is paying half the price doubling the risk?

By the way, I'm leaning towards going the eBay route purely as I have a bit of cash in my Paypal account.

nobananas
Monday 10th June 2013, 08:16
Gates stuff is OEM mate on a lot of motors so their stuff will be fine. Another good make is Goodyear and SKF do a good kit.

Kingsford G
Monday 10th June 2013, 08:23
Volvo don`t make kits,it`ll be made by Contitec or Dayco,Gates is one on the best OE manufacturers too.My genuine kit was made by Dayco and if you buy one as Dayco from motofactors you`ll get the best deal.

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 10th June 2013, 11:06
Sweet. I was aware that these manufacturers were often the OEM suppliers, but I wasn't sure if that was the case with Volvo. So clearly there's no point in me paying a premium for a "genuine" kit if it's the same as I can buy elsewhere for cheaper.

Thanks.