PDA

View Full Version : Which reverse tool for P1 rear brakes?

Brett855tdi
Saturday 8th June 2013, 16:53
As above im too tight to buy a kit does anyone know if its a left or right or both?
and a cheap ebay tool to recommend?
cheers guys

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 8th June 2013, 16:59
Reverse tool? Not heard of ever having to use one.

t5 pete
Saturday 8th June 2013, 17:01
You dont need one

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 8th June 2013, 17:02
Do you mean to push the pistons in?

Brett855tdi
Saturday 8th June 2013, 17:04
Yes i need to put some new pads in the back and will need a piston rewing tool, or two

Kingsford G
Saturday 8th June 2013, 17:05
A screwdriver will do the job lol they are push in pistons

Brett855tdi
Saturday 8th June 2013, 17:09
A screwdriver will do the job lol they are push in pistons

Lol i have always opted to find another tool in the box for the job but dont fancy going through the seals and creating more work this time... i always slip and rip one... the do a tool on ebay for like £8 they come in left or right but i cant remember which way they go.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 8th June 2013, 17:12
I usually use wide pliers (or 'water pump' pliers as they seem to be called) to close the pistons down, never had a problem in all the years I've been doing it.

They're only a few quid from Screwfix
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-10-water-pump-pliers/37427

stribo
Saturday 8th June 2013, 17:45
I usually use wide pliers (or 'water pump' pliers as they seem to be called) to close the pistons down, never had a problem in all the years I've been doing it.

They're only a few quid from Screwfix
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-10-water-pump-pliers/37427

Either that or a G clamp.

M-R-P
Saturday 8th June 2013, 17:52
Yep - G-clamp :)

Brett855tdi
Saturday 8th June 2013, 18:02
are they not wind back pistons?

Kingsford G
Saturday 8th June 2013, 18:13
Lol i have always opted to find another tool in the box for the job but dont fancy going through the seals and creating more work this time... i always slip and rip one... the do a tool on ebay for like £8 they come in left or right but i cant remember which way they go.
Must be something wrong with yr hand to damage a seal on these lol These retract easeily.Pull the pads out and slide something in instead of pads and push apart.

Harvey
Saturday 8th June 2013, 18:23
are they not wind back pistons?

No the handbrake has its own shoes inside the disk.the pistons just slide in they don't have to be turned to get them back in.

t5 pete
Saturday 8th June 2013, 18:25
Dont take this the wrong way but how many people on this thread have told you ypu dont need a wind back tool but still persist to say you need one best thing to do is go buy one and then find out it wont work or fit as its not needed

Harvey
Saturday 8th June 2013, 18:28
Dont take this the wrong way but how many people on this thread have told you ypu dont need a wind back tool but still persist to say you need one best thing to do is go buy one and then find out it wont work or fit as its not needed

Perhaps he's got a big toolbox any needs to fill the drawers up,can't have enough tools ever.:B_thumb:

t5 pete
Saturday 8th June 2013, 18:38
Perhaps he's got a big toolbox any needs to fill the drawers up,can't have enough tools ever.:B_thumb:

lol could well be but its use full to fill the tools box with tools you will actually need

Kingsford G
Saturday 8th June 2013, 19:01
Take it to a garage mate for the £35 they`ll charge u

merc85
Saturday 8th June 2013, 20:53
Gona get him to do my cambelt lol cant get it wrong any more than me pmsl

nobananas
Saturday 8th June 2013, 21:07
Basically you only need to wind the pistons in if the handbrake is incorperated into the caliper, your's aren't, as people have said the handbrake uses shoes within the disc bell. You have twin cylinder calipers on the rear and most wind back tools won't fit them anyway so push the pistons back in with a large screwdriver, g clamp or any of the other methods suggested.

960kg
Sunday 9th June 2013, 09:15
A picture paints a 1000 words.......

Brett855tdi
Sunday 9th June 2013, 17:45
Ah so one of the 20 x different styled g clamps ive got will do.... i was forgetting you only wind back handbrake calipers.

Thanks for the help i guess i have not excuse not to do them now

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 9th June 2013, 17:47
Thanks for the help i guess i have not excuse not to do them now
Exactly matey, the weather is nice and you have the tools, get out there and have some Volvo fixing fun :D