PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox jumping out of first?

stevojam
Friday 7th June 2013, 17:05
Hi there,

Just a couple of quick questions.

Have the chance of buying a 850 t5 estate but have been told that it occasionally jumps out of 1st gear, is this bad news?

Also he mentioned that the steering needs topped up frequently as well.

Cheers

Steve

V70 Graham
Friday 7th June 2013, 17:07
Unless he's literally giving it away for peanuts I'd steer well clear.....what HASN'T he told you about !

MA'R'K
Friday 7th June 2013, 17:20
.....plus a new rack (if it's given up the ghost) is £500 genuine or at least £200 for a refurb unit and then probably another £150 to fit.

There are better ones out there...keep looking!

stevojam
Friday 7th June 2013, 17:23
Don't know what to do Graham as it's 1 owner from new, only got 100k on the clock and FSH.

Plus the car is miles away from where I live so wanted to make sure my journey wasn't a wasted one.

cheers

Steve

stevojam
Friday 7th June 2013, 17:26
Think you could be right Mark.

Cheers

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 8th June 2013, 03:24
You could always post up the details and a local member maybe willing to go and have a look at it for you..

Jumping out of 1st - 99% sure gearbox selector is foobar'd! New gearbox
Steering fluid - should be able to see where from. Usual weeping point will be the rack..

stevojam
Saturday 8th June 2013, 14:41
Good Idea Judgeninja,
Going to look else tho as the car mentioned is beyond the condition of what I'am looking for, would like to find one which is solid and mechanically sound. Looks like the hunt continues :) am sure I'll find one soon.

Cheers

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 8th June 2013, 15:15
You didnt post where it is, cos it maybe of use to someone as some of us have gearboxes coming out of our ears.. I have three sitting on a shelf, so it might not be the end for that car

stevojam
Saturday 8th June 2013, 22:49
The cars in Penzance

Saaamon
Monday 10th June 2013, 13:22
You'll be lucky to fine one that doesnt needs a few bits doing to it but theres certainly ones out there that are better than the one you describe. I wouldnt worry to much about mileage need to buy on the overall condition and whats been replaced.