PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Volvokid, my Gul ain't coming to Scotland...........

foammanmark
Thursday 6th June 2013, 21:25
Started loading Gul up with work stuff for tomorrow and wedding stuff for Saturday, oh, and Volvokids kneeler mats. Thought I'd move the car, and the handbrake is totally seized on. Washed her last weekend, she's been parked all week with the handbrake totally off, but still seized bad. No time to mess with her now, so it's a trip for the C70 now.

I've had handbrake problems with every Volvo that I've ever had so I presume this is the norm with everyone else? The bonus for me is that the C70 is my best car for mpg, so I will save quite a bit on the the 700 mile trip in her, but I so wanted to go in Gul..............

t5 pete
Thursday 6th June 2013, 21:28
lol you and handbrakes tbh I shouldn't say this but ive never had one stick on any of the cars ive had the thing to remember is unless 100% needed best to leave it off when parked up for long periods

Tomcat
Thursday 6th June 2013, 21:30
Your not on your own, mine sticks a little but then again the brakes are not far off shot.

foammanmark
Thursday 6th June 2013, 21:32
lol you and handbrakes tbh I shouldn't say this but ive never had one stick on any of the cars ive had the thing to remember is unless 100% needed best to leave it off when parked up for long periods

So it must be me.......

My 2 p2 V70's seized on but not too bad, and every p1 V70 has had issues, and so has the C70. Hopefully with Gul, it's just a case of raising her, jolting the offending wheel until it frees. Do I wash my cars too often and that's where the problem is maybe?

foammanmark
Thursday 6th June 2013, 21:34
Your not on your own, mine sticks a little but then again the brakes are not far off shot.

I could only try her in reverse due to a car parked in front of me, but she was lifting up particularly on the offside, but not even attempting to free itself. When the car in front of mine has gone in the morning, I'll give her one last try.

Tomcat
Thursday 6th June 2013, 21:37
When mine sticks a little I just pull the handbrake up once or twice and it free's off, tbh even when it sticks it doesnt stick bad enough to stop the car moving, just makes a really annoying noise as youre driving.

p fandango
Thursday 6th June 2013, 21:41
BT's been sat for 4 years & the handbrakes still ok, had the usual handbrake shoe delaminating issue on the S60 but who hasn't lol

foammanmark
Thursday 6th June 2013, 21:46
When mine sticks a little I just pull the handbrake up once or twice and it free's off, tbh even when it sticks it doesnt stick bad enough to stop the car moving, just makes a really annoying noise as youre driving.

That's exactly how she has been until today. When I can feel the car lifting up with no signs of freeing, I tend to give up trying. Considering it's been so nice this week, it has to be the water from the wash that has caused this. Let you know if she frees in the morning, but I don't think she will.

Biff
Thursday 6th June 2013, 23:28
Mine sticks on & is shocking, I can never risk leaving it out of gear. My rear brakes are very noisey, they stick. I'm hoping a new set of discs, Volvo pads possibly new calipers. I reckon new shoes might be on order too. I know my car is a money pit but I won't stop until its right. It's part of the love hate relationship. Lol

M-R-P
Thursday 6th June 2013, 23:34
Only problem I've had with my handbrake in 3+ years of owning the Sweed is the ominous "bang" when pulling away after washing it. Only once and there's been no problems whatsoever.

volvokid
Friday 7th June 2013, 06:32
Gutted. At least you are still coming up though. I haven't been in a C70 for years :)

foammanmark
Monday 10th June 2013, 19:43
Gutted. At least you are still coming up though. I haven't been in a C70 for years :)

Glad that I surprised you by turning up in Gul. Like I said, the wheel was still seized on Friday morning, but after carefully setting off forwards with only 3 wheels actually turning, the seized one did free itself and hasn't been a problem since. Next time I wash her, I will take the car for a decent spin to dry her out before leaving parked for any length of time.

volvokid
Monday 10th June 2013, 21:06
Yeah I was chuffed to see it.