PDA

View Full Version : opening boot manually v70 02

Plodmonkey
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 17:07
for some strange reason the boot will not let me open it with key or pulling handle is the a pulley inside the car like their is on older models

Open fine yesterday and early hours this morning

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 17:13
Yep but to get the panel off, you need the boot open lol.

Have a look next to the right hand (as you look at it) number plate light, there should be a round rubber bung in it. pull the bung out and you'll find a key hole, this should allow you to open it.

Also, if the tailgate has been replaced with a newer one, the locking mechanism reverses, meaning when the car is locked the boot will be unlocked and vice-versa. Worth trying this first.

Yosser
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 17:15
There is a very long thread about this here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=58099

Basically, you can get in the back of the car from the rear, pop off the trim panel at the top, and then release the latch with a long screwdriver.

Your problem is likely to be either damaged wiring to the tailgate or the locking actuator itself.

In my case it was the actuator. I did strip & clean it but it failed again a little while later (it sort of seized in the locked position). I replaced it with another from the breakers and it's ok now.

Yosser
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 17:16
Have a look next to the right hand (as you look at it) number plate light, there should be a round rubber bung in it. pull the bung out and you'll find a key hole, this should allow you to open it.

FWIW my car doesn't have this (2002 model V70 D5).

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 17:19
Nor does my 2003 but I've seen 2000, 2001 and 2002 cars with it so it's worth a look. :D

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 17:20
Aaah yes - the wiring loom goes through the hinge arm on the N/S of the car and frays just inside the roof trim. Worth a look.

Plodmonkey
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 17:21
nope no rubber bung so hard way it is lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 17:24
nope no rubber bung so hard way it is lol

Bummer!

Plodmonkey
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 18:04
for some strange and wonderful reason no i have back cover off works perfectly fine :s