PDA

View Full Version : Strut brace - which?

Goof
Wednesday 19th January 2005, 20:22
Found this on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10432&item=4520124321&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Are these any good, or am I better off looking at a different make?

Any recommendations & prices welcomed!

Bakey
Wednesday 19th January 2005, 20:57
Saw these on ebay not so long ago myself goof but in all honesty I have no idea! To me they all do the same thing you just pay for the name.... bit like a pair of George (by ASDA!) jeans or a pair of Levis!

wouldnt mind hearing what the others have to say on this one myself

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 19th January 2005, 21:00
I dont know of anyone who has fitted an aftermarket strut - Most folk I know of that have a strut brace have gone for the Volvo original - I think they are £75 apparently well worth it tho.

x

monsterdark
Wednesday 19th January 2005, 21:02
If u have a V70 forget it they will not fit on i was told they would so bought one & guess what it didnt but look fair quality

Bakey
Wednesday 19th January 2005, 21:12
In that case, for the sake of an extra 20quid i would go for the volvo one mate!

hamish
Wednesday 19th January 2005, 23:10
Hi,
We keep the Volvo 1 in stock it looks really good, aluminium tube with a "brushed" finish. You can fit it in seconds, and the monies right ! Give us a call at volvotuning and we can despatch for next day.

Hamish.

Goof
Thursday 20th January 2005, 16:13
Hamish - I might take you up on that. Hoping to RICA sometime soon, so can collect brace then. Will need some idea of cost - could you PM me? (Might do ITG, RICA & buy brace all at once).

Bracer
Thursday 20th January 2005, 16:23
Those ones wont fit our RHD.

They are for LHD only.

Get a OEM one they are much better quality.

CAMO
Thursday 20th January 2005, 18:44
I Have Got A Top Front Strut Brace Which I Have Had On The Car For 12 Months Or More Now, And Dropped Straight On, Made By Omp.

Bracer
Friday 21st January 2005, 07:34
I Have Got A Top Front Strut Brace Which I Have Had On The Car For 12 Months Or More Now, And Dropped Straight On, Made By Omp.

OMP Brace
http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/44/71/5d_1.JPG

OEM Brace
http://www.kalmar-union.com/pix/strut_brace_large.jpg

Spot the difference ?

The OMP one will go straight through your Brake cylinder reservoir where as the OEM one will go around it :wink:

CAMO
Friday 21st January 2005, 14:02
I've Not Had To Move My Brake Cylinder, It Runs Just By It With A Few Mm Gap!

lance
Friday 21st January 2005, 15:37
Im sorry but for the price of half a night out more you can have a much prettier volvo one!

Maybe the red one would look good on a red 850!

Goof
Friday 21st January 2005, 17:45
Maybe the red one would look good on a red 850!
Red? - My 854 is black!
Lance - what is the finish of the OEM/Volvo one?

monsterdark
Friday 21st January 2005, 18:16
OMP one will only fit the 850, not the V70 as i found out the hard way

Bracer
Thursday 27th January 2005, 08:03
Just wait and get one from me :wink:

Goof
Thursday 27th January 2005, 15:41
Ok Bracer - let me know when they're ready. :)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 28th January 2005, 00:58
Just wait and get one from me :wink:

How long will it take you to collect enough coat hangers?

Bracer
Friday 28th January 2005, 07:36
How long will it take you to collect enough coat hangers?

LMAO @ Dave

HuskMan
Friday 25th February 2005, 15:55
What does the strut brace achieve? I guess it helps with towing and sits the front end up more but I can't see further than that...
:redface:

Wobbly Dave
Friday 25th February 2005, 17:07
If you were to section the car tranversally at the level of the suspension turrets (with the mother of all circular saws) you would see that the part of the car holding up the wheels is U shaped at that point - in 2 dimensions. Turning and braking forces will cause the U to flex. This is not helped by the fact that swinging in the middle of this is a large lump - namely the engine.

The addition of the strut brace essentially completes the top of the rectangle, made with the side walls of the engine bay, the subframe at the bottom.

The net effect of the brace tightens up the handling - causing less flex and less body roll. A lot of effort takes place on the front suspension of a T5. A strut brace is worth the money.

HuskMan
Friday 25th February 2005, 17:11
genius. I knew I joined this forum for a reason... ;-)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 25th February 2005, 17:32
Steady on! :shifty:

The Volvo SBs cost £75 including very awkward tax - from any dealership.
Volvotuning have them on the shelf also.

I can help you fit it if you want to come over.