PDA

View Full Version : The value of Volvo 850's

nobananas
Friday 31st May 2013, 23:25
We don't see a right lot of Volvos at work so when a P reg 850 estate came in for test I was obviously curious. It was a 2.5 10 valve auto with T5 alloys, reasonable spec (had half leather, a sunroof and front fogs !) In Turquoise metallic. Had a wander round it and the body was completely rust free and pretty straight (even the headlight wash wipe still worked !). At the end of the test it had failed on a track rod end, 1 tyre and the abs and tracs light were on (abs module resolder job ?) but nowt serious. The tester came back in from reception after giving the owner the news and said to me " he's going to scrap that if you want a word with him before he goes !", well I had to give him instructions to tie me down securely to the ramp in the corner till the bloke had gone !. (I'm sure the wife would have been thrilled if I had brought another one back !) FFS, who scraps a perfectly straight tidy motor for the sake of a track rod end and a tyre !

Kingsford G
Friday 31st May 2013, 23:31
Well,some ppl do and is a shame really

martybelfastt5
Friday 31st May 2013, 23:31
is sad really when you think how many miles would be left in her people are scared easy when they arent mechanicly clued up

nobananas
Friday 31st May 2013, 23:33
is sad really when you think how many miles would be left in her people are scared easy when they arent mechanicly clued up

Poor old girl only had 130k on her too.

T5frankie
Saturday 1st June 2013, 09:30
should have offered him scrap value then fixed it and sold it on and made a profit mate

nobananas
Saturday 1st June 2013, 10:42
should have offered him scrap value then fixed it and sold it on and made a profit mate

Would have done but no time or space unfortunately.

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 1st June 2013, 10:52
Would have done but no time or space unfortunately.

I take it your a mechanic/mot tester, so surely the minor faults you mentioned would take no more than a couple of hours to sort out? I agree with Frankie :shockedbi. Offer him scrap value then flog it on quick on here for a small profit, even advertise it here first, get a sale then do the work so worries about space.

nobananas
Saturday 1st June 2013, 21:26
I take it your a mechanic/mot tester, so surely the minor faults you mentioned would take no more than a couple of hours to sort out? I agree with Frankie :shockedbi. Offer him scrap value then flog it on quick on here for a small profit, even advertise it here first, get a sale then do the work so worries about space.

This is true but I already have a dead R sitting on my drive as well as a dead Renault 4 van and a T5 and the wifes C4 and no space for owt else ! Also I know what I'm like it won't end with the MOT repairs I will want to fix anything and everything that I find wrong with it and I've only just moved here (small sleepy village) and I don't want to start being known as that bloke with all the broken Volvos !

hillsidesteve
Saturday 1st June 2013, 21:44
This is true but I already have a dead Renault 4 van

Don't see these around now - we had a couple of them new in '78/79 for our cleaning business they were great little vans so reliable and nice to drive whats you doing with this one?

nobananas
Saturday 1st June 2013, 22:04
Don't see these around now - we had a couple of them new in '78/79 for our cleaning business they were great little vans so reliable and nice to drive whats you doing with this one?

It's one of three that I've got (the other two are in a barn somewhere !), I had one as my first car and loved it (it's one of the two in the barn !). This one I bought 10 years or so ago with the intention of restoring it but it's getting a little rough now but nothing I can't handle (waiting to build a workshop so I can crack on). I'm now intending to modify it and fit a (don't laugh) Saab 2.3 turbo lump although working out a transmission for it is going to be tricky !