PDA

View Full Version : Flat Battery...doors locked

Deerhound Taxi
Wednesday 29th May 2013, 20:21
Hi folks

Not long registered so this is my first problem question.

The 855R has not done many miles over the winter period and had been stationary for the last two months.

Last weekend I finally got round to changing the PCV, oil and partial drain/refill of auto box fluids.

Took it for a run on Sunday with everything seemingly okay (felt so good to be back in the beast again:redface:).

Found out on Monday that the battery wasn't holding charge so I then decided to change battery.

Went to open the car today to take battery out but fob not working and when I inserted key into door the lock wouldn't budge.

So the question is, how in hell's name do I get the bonnet open to gain access to battery blah blah... without obviously doing too much damage.

Any advice/abuse gratefully received.

DT

nobananas
Wednesday 29th May 2013, 20:25
Does your boot lock work ? There is a flap with a keyhole beneath it built into the tailgate handle then you simply have to climb through.

Deerhound Taxi
Wednesday 29th May 2013, 20:48
Does your boot lock work ? There is a flap with a keyhole beneath it built into the tailgate handle then you simply have to climb through.

Unfortunately the only lock that does/did work with key is the passenger door.

Key goes in a few millimetres in boot and driver door but does not turn.

nobananas
Wednesday 29th May 2013, 22:02
Try dosing the door locks with wd40 and keep working them with the key, you may get lucky.

glock19
Thursday 30th May 2013, 01:05
Unfortunately the only lock that does/did work with key is the passenger door.

Key goes in a few millimetres in boot and driver door but does not turn.

So all this time, you get open/lock the car with the passenger door lock ?
You have to force the key in then (or after the WD40 treatment). I've experienced this once while trying to access someone's car. I thought I got the wrong key then.

nobananas
Thursday 30th May 2013, 13:23
So all this time, you get open/lock the car with the passenger door lock ?
You have to force the key in then (or after the WD40 treatment). I've experienced this once while trying to access someone's car. I thought I got the wrong key then.

No I think he's been using the remote fob to lock and unlock the car but the cars battery has gone flat so the remote central locking won't now work and the door locks have seized through lack of use.

partsforvolvos.com
Thursday 30th May 2013, 14:25
if it has deadlocks, wont that be a problem anyway even if the lock cylinder worked- no battery power to disengage them?

you can hear deadlocks activate about 30seconds after the normal locks .

i would think the solution is via the grille, or maybe where the cable goes through the wheel arch liner - and to pull on the release cable connecting the 2 bonnet catches.

Deerhound Taxi
Friday 31st May 2013, 21:39
Update:

Under tray was off anyway so I found that I could touch battery from underneath but front bumper/spoiler was in way.

Removed spoiler and although I could reach both terminals on battery I couldn't get a good grip on the negative.

I unbolted the negative terminal and fed a length of 8mm earth cable, in a loop, through the negative lead and attached the jump lead to the earth cable.

Attached jump leads to donor car, got a connection and enough juice to allow me to use key in door and open the doors.

New battery installed...lesson learned!!!

nobananas
Friday 31st May 2013, 21:56
Well done mate, although if the negative was difficult to connect too you could have just clipped your jump lead onto some metal part of the car like the gearbox casing, it's all earthed.