PDA

View Full Version : auto gearbox question.

mr shifter
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 12:22
Are the auto boxes trouble on the ph2? Done a search on the net and its full of gearbox issues associated with the ph2. Im looking at buying a t5 which has just had a recon box fitted with 3 months warranty.Seller says it come from a volvo breakers and i would have thought a decent recon would have come with a better warranty.
Should i steer clear?
Thanks.

M-R-P
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 12:49
If it's the triptronic then avoid the early ones.
It worries me that it's come from a breakers and yet it's being sold as reconditioned. Any evidence of this?
3 months of usually the norm for a recon auto box afaik.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 12:50
Are the auto boxes trouble on the ph2? Done a search on the net and its full of gearbox issues associated with the ph2. Im looking at buying a t5 which has just had a recon box fitted with 3 months warranty.Seller says it come from a volvo breakers and i would have thought a decent recon would have come with a better warranty.
Should i steer clear?
Thanks.

as you said it was from a volvo breaker and has a short warranty, I'd say it wasn't a recon just a replacement taken from another vehicle, just reading between the lines, but it could still be ok for years yet, always hard to tell with these things

mr shifter
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 12:53
It was bought from a breakers as " recon " and fitted by a local garage. Its nearly out of warranty now, and tbh if it went wrong the cost of removing and sending back wouldnt be worth it.
I would have thought 12 months on a recon, which is what we got on our merc.
I shall see if its tiptronic.

mr shifter
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 13:31
its non tiptronic. are these seald for life units?

M-R-P
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 13:40
Dunno but early ones can be trouble past 100k. If it lets - go, just convert it to manual... oh wait... it's a P2.

lol

V70 Graham
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 14:24
Is the car a REALLY good price ? If not maybe pass it by.

kwk
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 18:35
The Police auto boxes on the T5's used to fail at about 80000 or less. Obviously they were driven very hard and the fluid was always almost black.
Volvo used to recommend frequent fluid changes but the police just saved the money and had the 'boxes replaced under warranty.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 20:04
I was looking into a P2 T5 auto but not sure now.

mr shifter
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 20:32
Im having 2nd thoughts too, plus i had some good and sensible advice from graham and martin. Manual i think on a ph2.