PDA

View Full Version : cambelt change any advice welcome

theflyingbrick
Monday 27th May 2013, 15:44
after a day tinkering with the old girl getting her ready to spank frankie at north weald ;) i noticed the cambelt was absolutly knackered!! obviously it needs changing but is there anything i need to know or is there any little tips you boys wanna share ;) im not a complete idiot but i know its important to get it right so id rather be well armed before i take it all apart :)

ROZER
Monday 27th May 2013, 15:50
after a day tinkering with the old girl getting her ready to spank frankie at north weald ;) i noticed the cambelt was absolutly knackered!! obviously it needs changing but is there anything i need to know or is there any little tips you boys wanna share ;) im not a complete idiot but i know its important to get it right so id rather be well armed before i take it all apart :)

get the water pump changed when you do the cambelt I chose not to changed mine and a year later it went cost me £250 for water pump and cambelt to be done again.

Kingsford G
Monday 27th May 2013, 15:52
Just stick a new kit and water pump on it.I got mine from london part suppliers all for £96 psted and reputable brand or give Gav a shout he`s price is good.Its a piece of cake mate but u`ll need a wise to press the hydrolic tensioner in and pin thru it.

theflyingbrick
Monday 27th May 2013, 16:00
Just stick a new kit and water pump on it.I got mine from london part suppliers all for £96 psted and reputable brand or give Gav a shout he`s price is good.Its a piece of cake mate but u`ll need a wise to press the hydrolic tensioner in and pin thru it.

i got a quote from gav but my local was cheaper and every penny counts at the mo lol im gonna attempt this on the weekend so ive got 2 days to do it,im just paranoid coz ive put so much into this car work wise i dont want to fall over a simple hurdle if you know what i mean so im after all the help i can get so thanks ill get a clamp sorted for the tensioner ;)

Kingsford G
Monday 27th May 2013, 16:17
i got a quote from gav but my local was cheaper and every penny counts at the mo lol im gonna attempt this on the weekend so ive got 2 days to do it,im just paranoid coz ive put so much into this car work wise i dont want to fall over a simple hurdle if you know what i mean so im after all the help i can get so thanks ill get a clamp sorted for the tensioner ;)

Would b silly not to mate.With lots of tea 2,5 hours work or if u crack on 1.5hours.Just get a how to guide mate if u want I can send u pics from my auto data book but u most likely to find it online.

theflyingbrick
Monday 27th May 2013, 16:37
Would b silly not to mate.With lots of tea 2,5 hours work or if u crack on 1.5hours.Just get a how to guide mate if u want I can send u pics from my auto data book but u most likely to find it online.

cheers dude but i got a haynes book of lies somewhere so ill just have that for reference ;)

craigoodwood
Monday 27th May 2013, 20:27
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=193043&postcount=1

merc85
Monday 27th May 2013, 20:49
Just remeber The hydrolic tensioner, let it settle for a few min's to get the tension right before you crank her over 1st.

theflyingbrick
Monday 27th May 2013, 20:55
Just remeber The hydrolic tensioner, let it settle for a few min's to get the tension right before you crank her over 1st.

thats that little mini version of a shock absorber aint it?? just been reading the thread craigwood posted,im glad coz i never knew about that!! but im happy i can do the job,tbh i thought it was a lot more involved!! so saturday ill give it a crack then ill be able to see if the new fuel reg has made any difference ;)

nobananas
Monday 27th May 2013, 23:45
It's also a good idea to use the correct cam setting tool for the rear of the cams rather then relying on paint marks then fit the belt with the cam verniers slack and nip them up after the belt tensioner has been released. You don't have to buy the correct tool, you can knock one up fairly easily out of bits of flat scrap steel.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/DSCF3285_zps6c8b85ab.jpg[/URL]