PDA

View Full Version : stalling

volvovirgin
Sunday 26th May 2013, 13:48
My v70 stalls every now and then. Its a 2001 v70 2.4 auto, sometimes does it going round a roundabout, turning corners and at junctions. The rev counter dips to under 500 revs when slowing down. Also when waiting to pull away from traffic lights or coming out of a junction, it feels like I have been hit, the car jolts but doesn't move forward.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 26th May 2013, 13:52
Sounds like gearbox rather than engine...???

LiamT4
Sunday 26th May 2013, 14:39
two different issues maybe?

The revs dropping and then stalling when slowing down sounds like the maf sensor to me.

JamesT5
Sunday 26th May 2013, 17:14
Not an ETM issue is it because mine's playing up.

volvovirgin
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 07:58
two different issues maybe?

The revs dropping and then stalling when slowing down sounds like the maf sensor to me.

Have had tht replaced, same make as the one taken out.

volvovirgin
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 08:00
It's booked in at a local garage on Thursday, so will see wot they say

M-R-P
Tuesday 28th May 2013, 10:37
My money's on the etm and if it's a slushmatic, that too :D

volvovirgin
Wednesday 29th May 2013, 17:59
My money's on the etm and if it's a slushmatic, that too :D

Pardon. ..slushmatic

JamesT5
Wednesday 29th May 2013, 18:19
It's booked in at a local garage on Thursday, so will see wot they say

Yeah let us know, I'll be interested to see if we have yet another duff ETM on the forum.

JamesT5
Wednesday 29th May 2013, 18:20
Pardon. ..slushmatic

Think Martin means Automatic. ;)

volvovirgin
Monday 3rd June 2013, 16:24
Think Martin means Automatic. ;)
Lol

Waste of time at the garage last week. Were late picking up the car and then said the diagnostic machine went down but managed to clear the EML. Wasnt charged was the only good thing. I looked on the good garage website, so at the time thought they would be ok. After today they ain't, called to rebook it back in for a few days and to have a courtesy car. After about 5 mins,they hung up on me. I could hear them talking and saying no courtesy car and other things. Didn't bother saying anything to me and put phone down. Left feedback on the good garage website, saying good garage yeah right, more like muppets.

Itis now in a garage across the road from home. Fingers crossed.

M-R-P
Monday 3rd June 2013, 16:28
"Slushmatic" being a derogatory term for triptronic ;)

JamesT5
Monday 3rd June 2013, 17:37
Lol

Waste of time at the garage last week. Were late picking up the car and then said the diagnostic machine went down but managed to clear the EML. Wasnt charged was the only good thing. I looked on the good garage website, so at the time thought they would be ok. After today they ain't, called to rebook it back in for a few days and to have a courtesy car. After about 5 mins,they hung up on me. I could hear them talking and saying no courtesy car and other things. Didn't bother saying anything to me and put phone down. Left feedback on the good garage website, saying good garage yeah right, more like muppets.

It is now in a garage across the road from home. Fingers crossed.

Just a thought mate, it might be worth checking your fuel pump and/or sender, because the car will stall if there is a lack of fuel flow to the engine (stating the obvious I know). But I had the thought because my fuel sender is giving a false reading on my fuel gauge. The sender unit also carries the wiring across to the fuel pump so if the sender is faulty the fuel pump can stop pumping fuel, either permanently or temporarily (could also be the cause of my problem).

If it starts playing up, pull over somewhere safe, leave the engine running and get a mallet and knock the underside of the car under the rear left passenger seat (this is where the sender unit is located). If it improves the problem then your fuel sender could be at fault. It is a common P2 failure, especially seeing that the wiring loom runs straight through the fuel in the fuel tank. If that isn't a fire hazard I don't know what is!

volvovirgin
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 18:39
I took the car into the garage across the road from home, the mechanic got it to stall quite a few times. It was the mass air flow sensor, the new one that was brought a few weeks ago was faulty. They have replaced it and seems ok.

Just a quick question - wot is emt. Just humor me my memory playing up.

T5RatherAmusin
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 18:58
I took the car into the garage across the road from home, the mechanic got it to stall quite a few times. It was the mass air flow sensor, the new one that was brought a few weeks ago was faulty. They have replaced it and seems ok.

Just a quick question - wot is emt. Just humor me my memory playing up.

throtle body ;)

JamesT5
Wednesday 5th June 2013, 19:44
[QUOTE=volvovirgin;613831]I took the car into the garage across the road from home, the mechanic got it to stall quite a few times. It was the mass air flow sensor, the new one that was brought a few weeks ago was faulty. They have replaced it and seems ok.

Just a quick question - wot is emt. Just humor me my memory playing up.[/QUOTE

I posted a thread on changing the ETM the other day, it's in the P2 forum.

volvovirgin
Thursday 6th June 2013, 08:37
Car is now back at the garage. Still stalling.......argh

M-R-P
Thursday 6th June 2013, 08:41
Throttle.

It can throw a MAF warning sometimes I believe. Not sure why. Have a look at the throttle body (underside of the inlet manifold with a big pipe on it, coming from the intercooler) if it's big, square and has a yellow or white sticker on it saying "Magnetti Marelli" then I'm 99% sure that's your problem.

JamesT5
Thursday 6th June 2013, 08:57
Car is now back at the garage. Still stalling.......argh

If it's a white sticker then it's definitely your problem! Have a look at my thread from the other day if you haven't already done so....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?51118-ETM-Changing-Session

volvovirgin
Monday 10th June 2013, 19:09
Touch wood car is now ok. Had new MAF Sensor replaced, them TCM has now been updated. So fingers crossed she is now ok.

Thanks for the advice guys