PDA

View Full Version : Dash not working properly after flat battery

Nutternick
Friday 24th May 2013, 09:16
I went out to a flat battery this morning its a 1998 v70 t5, started the car with a jump start but now i have no guages on the dash a loads of waning lights that usually go out when the car is started. I have checked that the terminals are tight and when the battery had charged a bit i turned it off and on again but sill the same.

Any ideas ??

JamesT5
Friday 24th May 2013, 13:40
Check the fuses, you may have caused a power spike when you reconnected the battery which has then blown a fuse. Just a suggestion.

JamesT5
Friday 24th May 2013, 13:41
Your hand book should tell you which fuse relates to the DIM.

Ed.
Friday 24th May 2013, 13:49
Check the alternator is charging correctly and that there are no loose connections on the cable between the alternator and battery. Dash lighting up all the warning lights and not going out was an alternator fault for me in the past.

Ed

Nutternick
Friday 24th May 2013, 23:34
All sorted thanks

Jamest5r
Friday 24th May 2013, 23:35
All sorted thanks

That answer dont help anyone else with the same problem.

LeeT5
Saturday 25th May 2013, 11:28
That answer dont help anyone else with the same problem.
I agree. By the short answer i'm assuming he had a fuse blow. That will learn ya for not CORRECTLY jump starting!
What was the fault then?? Do tell!!

Nutternick
Saturday 25th May 2013, 11:38
Actually didn't find the cause I drove to car to work with no dash, came out at lunch and battery was dead again, I found the cause of that to b a faulty door switch causing the interior lights to stay on and when I started the car again all was well

LeeT5
Saturday 25th May 2013, 12:03
Actually didn't find the cause I drove to car to work with no dash, came out at lunch and battery was dead again, I found the cause of that to b a faulty door switch causing the interior lights to stay on and when I started the car again all was well

Ahh, the ol door switch fault. Very common on P1's.

Alas, my old lazer had the same fault but i found being more positive closing the door (without slamming it) fixed the fault and i just learned how to close the door so it did not cause further problems. The permanent fix is of course a new door switch.

Theoretically you didn't have any fault with the dash. It just got confused due to the low voltage and possibly the jump start. Once you turned off and back on, all was reset and good to go.
I do find it surprising that your battery was flat after you'd drove to work again. I would consider testing your battery after a few hours bench charge or just get rid and get the biggest, most powerful battery you can afford!!
Assuming you have a genuine/or equivalent 027 fitted with about 540CCA/EN??? Probably.
You can fit a Bosch 5* silver 096 in the hole. 5 yr warranty and bloody powerful.

V70 Graham
Saturday 25th May 2013, 12:26
You can fit a Bosch 5* silver 096 in the hole. 5 yr warranty and bloody powerful.

......and bloody expensive no doubt lol

LeeT5
Monday 27th May 2013, 09:23
......and bloody expensive no doubt lol

No, not really. Not much more than £100. If you were to get an AGM battery then you'd be looking at £200!!