PDA

View Full Version : Snapped torque rod mount !!!!

smithson007
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 19:59
Bit of a worrying one this one.

I was setting off from traffic lighst the other nights when there was a bang from the front of the car, thought nothing more of it as car was still driving ok so just went home and left until yesterday.
Jumped in the car yesterday and as I was accelerating then lifting off there was a clunk from the front of the car again.

Just had a look under the car now to discover that the part of the sub frame that the torque rod from the gearbox mounts to has snapped clean off so the rod is just hanging there. The part that has snapped off has also broken into many pieces where it trapped in behind the nuts.

My question is has anybody ever had this happen before and is the car still ok to drive like this?

Thanks Andy

Harvey
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:04
You need to fix.ASAP ,or it will damage the other engine/gearbox mounts.

merc85
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:05
Id be wondering why it snapped in the 1st place, May be worth while checking you engine mounts for excessive movement.

smithson007
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:12
Id be wondering why it snapped in the 1st place, May be worth while checking you engine mounts for excessive movement.

That's what is kind of bothering me more the fact that it has managed to sheer clean off. I take it ill have to find a new sub frame to sort this?

merc85
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:21
That's what is kind of bothering me more the fact that it has managed to sheer clean off. I take it ill have to find a new sub frame to sort this?

Either that or get your one welded, shame your so far away, i have a spare subframe and spare mounts

smithson007
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:35
Either that or get your one welded, shame your so far away, i have a spare subframe and spare mounts

I know its a bad head living all the way up here miles away from anyone thanks for the offer though mate.

Ill speak to my mate that's a fabricator see what he thinks because the bit that's snapped off has fallen to pieces so cant weld that bit back on would need to make a plate.
cars really starting to test my patients at the min just one thing after another.

foammanmark
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:50
I know its a bad head living all the way up here miles away from anyone thanks for the offer though mate.

Ill speak to my mate that's a fabricator see what he thinks because the bit that's snapped off has fallen to pieces so cant weld that bit back on would need to make a plate.
cars really starting to test my patients at the min just one thing after another.

Sorry to hear about the problem Andy. In hindsight, if you'd sold the car to me when I wanted to buy it, I would now be having these issues. So, I'm really saying that I'm glad I didn't buy it.......but only messing cos you sometimes have no idea of what's going to go wrong with them. I had so many things with Nautic for a few months, and I really thought of getting shut. I stuck with her and I'm glad now.

graemewelch
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:55
if you get stuck and dont mind a short drive, ill weld it up for you

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 21:47
I have a spare - but new they don't cost that much.

I didn't know let other people drive your car?

smithson007
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 22:15
if you get stuck and dont mind a short drive, ill weld it up for you

Thanks for the offer mate ill let you know how I get on.

smithson007
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 22:19
Sorry to hear about the problem Andy. In hindsight, if you'd sold the car to me when I wanted to buy it, I would now be having these issues. So, I'm really saying that I'm glad I didn't buy it.......but only messing cos you sometimes have no idea of what's going to go wrong with them. I had so many things with Nautic for a few months, and I really thought of getting shut. I stuck with her and I'm glad now.

To be honest mate in hindsight I wish id never bought this car its been nothing but trouble from day one. Its never run right, been down on power, fuel economy is a joke with it and its just breaking one thing after another. I wouldn't mind if I drove the car hard and had chance to enjoy it but 9 times out of 10 I drive it like an old granny just waiting for the next thing to break.

graemewelch
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 09:00
what you need is a s60 mate. never misses a beat. mpg are ok. 26-30mpg around the doors.

foammanmark
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 17:45
Andy, I can help you with a sub frame, and deliver for a few Nuclear Browns...........

LiamT4
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 19:33
Is this my old car?

foammanmark
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 20:43
This is his V70 R Saffy, or at least I think it is, as that's the car I tried to buy off him a while ago.

LiamT4
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 20:47
This is his V70 R Saffy, or at least I think it is, as that's the car I tried to buy off him a while ago.

This may sound wrong, but i hope it is.
My car, although far from perfect, was always reliable when i had it and when anything needed doing i got it done, so i'd hate to think a car i sold someone could cause them so much grief.

foammanmark
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 20:51
I've seen your car, the silver S70 R. Looked very nice to me, but Andy's had a lot of issues with the V70 R.

LiamT4
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 20:55
I've seen your car, the silver S70 R. Looked very nice to me, but Andy's had a lot of issues with the V70 R.

I know he did have issues with it cutting out, but i thought he'd sorted that. I'm hoping that its been fine other than that.