PDA

View Full Version : abs and tracs light on

dannyboy101
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 13:44
As above. Both came on today randomly. No loss of braking. No codes tho, which I find wierd. Any ideas please guys?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 14:02
Dry joints in the ABS ECU - common failure ( & yes I still fix them) or cracked/broken reluctor rings (the castelated rings that sit on the CV joints on the drive shafts).

Read the codes - If the DTC show more than 1 wheel at fault then it is most likely your ABS ECU that will need repairing.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224

dannyboy101
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 16:48
My code reader hasn't shown me any codes, any ideas why?

dannyboy101
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:15
Quick update, still no codes, either pending or live. But after leaving the car all day at work, drove home, no lights on at all. Is there a most likely cause, i want to get this fixed as i want my brakes to work!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:47
The ABS ECU is most likely - as the dry joints will present as an intermittant fault initially. As the heat rises in the bay resistance in the joints will also rise.

Having refurbished over 300 units it is easy to see how this can occur, particularly as the main fault lies with the power plug points.

Brake operation will not cease - just your ABS will be offline when the light is on. It is an MOT fail but only if the light is on when the brakes are tested.

Tomcat
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:52
Mines intermitant too Dave, Marc said he got the ABS ECU done a while back, it's got silicon sealant around the edge, does this sound like one of your repairs Dave?.. Just wondering if it actualy got done or if it's something else I need to do.

dannyboy101
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 20:57
Dave pm'd about the ecu repair.

JamesT5
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 21:05
I've got exactly the same problem!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 22nd May 2013, 21:12
Mines intermitant too Dave, Marc said he got the ABS ECU done a while back, it's got silicon sealant around the edge, does this sound like one of your repairs Dave?.. Just wondering if it actualy got done or if it's something else I need to do.

Official ones will have WD melted into the lid along with the year & month of repair. There may well be other issues - such as the reluctor rings, something that happened to me a few years back on Betsy.

BIG DAN
Saturday 25th May 2013, 22:25
i had this on my xc and all it was a split cv boot threw grease all over the rings cleaned with new boot job sorted :)

Tomcat
Saturday 25th May 2013, 22:34
Cheers Dave, I've not removed it yet as I'll double check first and get the codes read.

dannyboy101
Thursday 30th May 2013, 17:55
It hasnt stopped raining since this happened! But also hasnt come back on again. Fingers crossed it will stop raining so i can see what ecu i have.