PDA

View Full Version : ME7 ETM cleaning

hillsidesteve
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 14:07
Hi can anyone advise the easiest way to go about removing the etm so I can clean it hopefully to stop an erratic idling problem on my '99 T5

Thanks in advance for any help:smile:

JamesT5
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 14:13
Err, hello! I've done it twice and it's fairly easy. Remove the radiator fan the ETM to intercooler pipe, the boost pipe and then it's 4 x 10mm bolts from unde the ETM holding it in. Take them out but be careful not to let the unit drop as it's weighty (not heavy though). Also undo the electrical connector and you may have to take off a retaining plate holding the wire back that stops it moving around, this is usually near the bottom of the engine in the middle.

Regards

James

JamesT5
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 14:15
Hi can anyone advise the easiest way to go about removing the etm so I can clean it hopefully to stop an erratic idling problem on my '99 T5

Thanks in advance for any help:smile:

By the way, mine has just started the erratic idle today (see my post), and in my case it's a new ETM as the butterfly plate has been cleaned by me twice in 12 months and it was never that dirty. Be prepared to replace the ETM if necessary.

M-R-P
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 14:32
Cleaning the ETM only hides the problem really. It's the internals of the ETM that's failing.

I was thinking about James' problem just now and remembered...

...There's a guy on fleabay that retrofits the marelli ETMs with hardware that won't fail, essentially making it work like the Bosch unit.

hillsidesteve
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 17:37
Cleaning the ETM only hides the problem really. It's the internals of the ETM that's failing.

I was thinking about James' problem just now and remembered...

...There's a guy on fleabay that retrofits the marelli ETMs with hardware that won't fail, essentially making it work like the Bosch unit.

Ah so is it better to just replace it rather than waste time cleaning it then? Is mine likely to be a Marelli unit rather than Bosch? I'll try looking for this guy and replace it now I think, looks to be the best way forward.

Thanks for the tip Martin!

hillsidesteve
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 17:45
By the way, mine has just started the erratic idle today (see my post), and in my case it's a new ETM as the butterfly plate has been cleaned by me twice in 12 months and it was never that dirty. Be prepared to replace the ETM if necessary.

Thanks James, ref Martins reply, I think I will replace it now rather than waste time on it again. As you are probably going to do the same, soon we will both be idling happily for ever more :smileypul

JamesT5
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 17:59
Thanks James, ref Martins reply, I think I will replace it now rather than waste time on it again. As you are probably going to do the same, soon we will both be idling happily for ever more :smileypul

If you can chuck me some petrol money I'll come and fit it one for you when you get it unless of course you'd prefer to do it yourself.

M-R-P
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 18:36
By all means, try cleaning it. If its not been cleaned before, it will make a difference - how much difference and for how long is anybody's guess.

c70geoff
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 21:41
cleaned mine and running ok now:)

hillsidesteve
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 22:56
Well I decided to get the unit off today with the intention of cleaning it so a friend called round to help and it was off in 20mins.
Surprised to find it was actually very clean with no carbon - possibly due to cleaner running LPG? - so rather than waste any time decided to send it off to VolvoDiagnostic for a full recon and upgrade to contactless. Called them first to discuss,it is now on its way via Royal Mail Special Delivery guaranteed to be there Friday morning.Should have it back by next Weds they say, just got to hope this solves the idling problem, we'll see.....

Since I can't drive it for a few days I thought I might get a few other things done weather permitting - report and photos to follow over the weekend hopefully....:wink:

M-R-P
Friday 24th May 2013, 01:27
PCV? clean stuff? clean inlet manifold? c'mon dude, don't stop with the foreplay!

JamesT5
Friday 24th May 2013, 13:38
cleaned mine and running ok now:)

Looks like I've started a trend with the signatures then! ;)

V70 Graham
Friday 24th May 2013, 14:24
Looks like I've started a trend with the signatures then! ;)

Yup.....tight arses till payday lol

thewatsonsmouts
Friday 24th May 2013, 22:31
dont send it to BBA Reman they screwed mine up big time had to buy a new one

jamesy12345
Saturday 8th June 2013, 01:22
A good video here, although it is pitched at selling the Xemodex item...

http://xemodex.com/technologyimproved/video-8644347

silverback02
Friday 22nd November 2013, 21:30
Jamesy, / Anybody !!!

My mates 2001, V70 T5, has been having accelerator problems, in that IF he slowly revs up, No problem car goes.
IF he revs up to 3/4 throttle, again NP car accelerates . BUT if he tries harder, and puts his foot down, Then the engine just dies, until he lifts his boot a little and slowly builds it up.
Would that be the ETM, or BAD spots on the Accelerator Pedal bits?
any ideas plz peeps ?
cheers.