PDA

View Full Version : 2000 P2 V70 T5 Geartronic fluid change

jdavis
Monday 20th May 2013, 12:23
Right guys, in the next month or so i'm planning on doing a fluid change on my gearbox. Is there a quide anywhere that will help me or is it as simple as pump out the old and pump in the new?
I know people say use genuine stuff but is this the right grade of oil?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobil-ATF-JWS-3309-Automatic-Transmission-Gearbox-Fluid-Mercedes-Volvo-Saab-1L-/130902555149?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item1e7a667a0d

Thanks in advance

M-R-P
Monday 20th May 2013, 14:49
I'd still go for the genuine stuff mate. It may be more expensive but you won't risk destroying the box.

jdavis
Monday 20th May 2013, 19:16
thanks Martin, will bang an order in for some genuine oil at pfv soon then as they seem to be cheapest. any tips for draining the box? there is a kit on pfv does anyone know if that is any good?
thanks

stephenevans99
Monday 20th May 2013, 19:51
I bought the genuine Volvo branded oil for my 04 S60 but Mobil 3309 is the correct fluid.

I had the garage perform 3 seperate fluid drain/refills over a period of 5 days or so. The geartronic box holds 7 litres or so, but will only drain off 3 litres from the gearbox sump. Each time they drained and then refilled it, I made sure I did about 30 miles so it diluted the old with the new - this was done three times and I'm quite happy that the fluid has now been sufficiently changed.

I will make it part of my annual service from now on just to drop the 3 litres from the gearbox and then replace it - maybe unnecessary - but mainly for piece of mind.

jdavis
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 04:55
Thanks Stephen. might try and get hold of an Haynes book of lies before i try see if anything is listed in there about it.
Do you know where the drain plug is?
thanks

stephenevans99
Tuesday 21st May 2013, 06:36
The drain plug on mine IIRC is a large hex type approx 24mm that located at the bottom of the box - suprisingly ;)

Squirtydog
Monday 4th November 2013, 21:08
Resurrection...
Does the plug need replacing? Haynes says replace the washer.
Doing this myself on Thursday so need to order tomorrow if I need to buy a part.

Harvey
Monday 4th November 2013, 21:16
Resurrection...
Does the plug need replacing? Haynes says replace the washer.
Doing this myself on Thursday so need to order tomorrow if I need to buy a part.

The washer is the same as the engine oil sump plug washer.

Squirtydog
Monday 4th November 2013, 21:17
Cheers Harvey.