PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Fuel / Veg Oil

Stu C
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 13:32
Hi folks, just wondering about this after i went to a logistics conferance talking about alternative fuels.

Chip fat. I know it can be used in diesel engined vehicles, but how much exactly and what damage can this do? I do a alot of commuting now, and was wondering, you know, would putting in some veg oil with the diesel do any damage to the car? (sorry its not a volvo, still on the ol' 600 :( )

Cheers all!

Regards

Stu C

deerworrier
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 16:54
i run my 2.8 td trooper on a 50/50 mix, 8000miles and no probs so far, i know the newer machines with fancy ecu's dont react well to it but if you have an old machine try it, i started of at 10/1 and worked my way to 1/1. exhaust smells lovely:)

Andrew
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 16:58
i run my 2.8 td trooper on a 50/50 mix, 8000miles and no probs so far, i know the newer machines with fancy ecu's dont react well to it but if you have an old machine try it, i started of at 10/1 and worked my way to 1/1. exhaust smells lovely:)

Do you pay Duty on the veg oil ? :)

siamblue
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 17:02
My sisters partner has a ex post office van that he uses to go all over the country, he came here the other week and told me he was using Veg oil so i took him into the Indian community shops and he bought 30 ltrs of veg oil at £12.99 he chucked 15ltrs straight in on half a tank of diesel no probs at all, but he has since told me if he mixes it with not enough diesel it is hard to start up, as i suppose the oil separates from the diesel.

deerworrier
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 23:12
Do you pay Duty on the veg oil ? :)

"cough"cough" what are you trying to suggest?:) i am an honest and upstanding member of this country and if gordon brown needs a few more pennys from me then i am happy to oblige :B_blite:

anyone who believes the above statement please pm me as i have a bridge i would like to sell ya:)

Stu C
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 11:14
Ahh cheers for the replies all! been reading up on the subject like, and alot of people stik between 10-20 litres of veg oil to diesel (mine being 65 litre tank) and are running fine. May try a little bit over the weekend, just a 3 litre bottle and see from there :D

grumpybob
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 20:05
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the veg oil/chip fat had to be used. It can't be a new bottle from the supermarket.

I have got a deisel as a runaround and was considering it but don't know enough about it at the mo.

Bob

Andrew
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 20:08
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the veg oil/chip fat had to be used. It can't be a new bottle from the supermarket.

I have got a deisel as a runaround and was considering it but don't know enough about it at the mo.

Bob

Either will work it just so happens that used stuff seems to work better - once you strain all the chips out of it :)

swordy21
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 20:45
You will need to run injector cleaner in every few tanks with used veg oil due to the carbon particles in there from burnt food which could clog up your injectors over time.
Also if the oil is too old it produces "polar compounds", basically fatty acid chains split off from the tri glyceride backbone of the oil molecule. These can polymerise and increase viscosity of the oil making it difficult to mix and can get a bit sludgy.

Who said being a Food technologist was no good for car stuff.......

Redbrick
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 20:50
I'm running pure bio-diesel at the moment. I'm paying 60p a litre to my boss who's buying 1000 litres at a time.

My little 106 is doing 54mpg and running sweet as a nut.

Its made form recycled cooking oil, I believe.

Andrew
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 21:04
Is bio-diesel what they call red diesel ?

Redbrick
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 21:20
No not the same thing.

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/index.htm

Andrew
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 21:22
ah ok thanks.

Straker
Thursday 20th October 2005, 08:17
Word of warning modern common rail injection systems are not very tolerant of "funny" fuels (pumps and injectors can get clogged muchos money to replace) so only try this on older cars.