PDA

View Full Version : loosing oil and lack of any boost solved

no1tosh
Sunday 19th May 2013, 18:44
iv'e spent the day replacing vac lines, checking boost pipes ect...
no boost leaks wastegate working and no vac leaks but lots of oil in the turbo and pipes so cleaned them all out, took it for a couple of runs no boost but lots of oil in the pipes again.

so im gessing the turbo is the cause of my oil leak and it also has a little play in the compreser wheel.
Also i think the BCV isn't working so that would explain the lack of boost. i took the vac line off the wastegate and it boosted all the way, and put it back.
unplugged the BCV and nothing changed no boost so from what ive read that should mean its faulty.

so i hope im on to something here that's for the help and advice, any more is always welcome:wink:

no1tosh
Monday 20th May 2013, 06:38
one more thing i thought was weird i re fitted the bleed valve just to see what would happen, so i fitted it in between the turbo line and waste gate, plugged of the intake and it would only get to 0.5 bar on 2 full turns. when i opened it a bit more it started to drop away again.
fitted it like i had it between BCS and waste gate and half a turn had it at bang on 0.75 bar.

any reasons for this???

Dangerous Dave
Monday 20th May 2013, 14:39
One thing to check; is the BCS connected to the correct hoses?

The problem is if you get the top and bottom hoses on the BCS mixed up then the wastegate doesn't operate properly (I found this out a while ago when I used the diagram below as a guide, but the BCS in the pic is upside down).

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/mbcinstallation.jpg

no1tosh
Monday 20th May 2013, 18:45
ahhhhh right well that might explain why i was only getting 0.5 bar on the bleed valve, because after i took them all off to replace them i followed this diagram from google images.
thanks for that pal

Dangerous Dave
Monday 20th May 2013, 21:27
Yup, good old Volvo getting the pics wrong, there is also a pic of the engine subframe which is backwards LOL.

Try swapping them over, it can't do any harm :)

woody
Sunday 24th November 2013, 20:27
I fell for this too!