PDA

View Full Version : Tyres,tried and tested?

jp850R
Wednesday 19th January 2005, 17:32
I have had a good look thru the forums and cant quite find what im lookin for and was wondering 2 things, 1) my car is running 205/45/17's is it ok to go to 215/45/17's (noticed most seem to run 215's just wanna double check) and 2) has anyone tried either toyo proxes T1S's, goodyear eagle F1's or Yokahama A539's if so how did u get on with them? Any info will b much appreciated. :)

Am getting quite desperate for tyres now am running marshalls and seem useless even when they had tread! Keep activating abs!!!! :eek: Not good!!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 20th January 2005, 01:33
I have very recently put 215/45/R17's - Vredestein Ultracs. They are excellent in both wet and dry conditions and the extra width provides not only better traction but better rim protection too

Murphy
Thursday 20th January 2005, 09:47
I loved my Yoko's A539's. They gripped like ££££ to a blanket from day 1 all the way to an illegal state. Totally recomended. Howver it is a soft compound and will have a short range. Swapping fonr to back you may get 8000 - 10000 miles. The Toyo's i wasn't so impressed with. A similar wearing compound to the yoko's but not as good. Not sure about the rest. I know i am going for these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9891&item=7948348470&rd=1

Andy

jp850R
Thursday 20th January 2005, 11:57
Sweet thanks 4 the info guys. :) yoko's or ultracs hmmmm! decisions!!!

Decision made cant get the ultracs at 3 tyre places round my way so it a pair of yoko,s it is 2morrow, :) £174 the pair fitted not bad me thinks!

Murhpy, i c u say u r going 4 kumho 712's next, have u had them b4?

(if u have then dont worry bout this bit, personal experience of them, on 2 bmw e30 320, manual and autos, running 205/40/ZR17, if the tyre gets low on air at any time the side wall splits! had it 3 times cos of a dodgy valve! and i dont no if its just because they wer old cars but they didnt seem 2 stick 2 well in the wet either, please let me no if different on the volvo's cos they r nice n cheap) :)

lance
Thursday 20th January 2005, 18:17
Im pleased with my BF Goodridge 205 45 17 at just £60 a corner.

Bracer
Friday 21st January 2005, 07:59
What about TOYO PROXES T1-S

The Toyo Proxes T1-S is the new generation tire for the world's most demanding cars and discriminating drivers. The smooth-riding V, W, Y and Z speed rated T1-S offers excellent wet and dry grip, exceptional handling and resistance to aquaplaning.

The Proxes T1-S is a new generation product of Toyo's exclusive DSOCTM Technology. DSOC (Dynamic Simulation Optimized Contact Theory) Technology is a powerful super-computer based technology utilizing highly sophisticated three-dimensional simulations for the development and analysis of state-of-the-art tire designs .

http://adaptivestrategies.com/t1s.jpg

£83.10 from Here (http://213.61.145.242/cgi-bin/reifendirekt.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=492955.27099&P-ID=&language=&typ=232031&ranzahl=4&Breite=215&Herst=&Quer=45&Felge=17&Load=&Speed=ZR&weiter=20&last_sort=&kategorie=&Ang_pro_Seite=&sort_by=&gesanzeige=&rf=&Transport=P&dsco=10&sowigan=So)

jp850R
Sunday 23rd January 2005, 11:29
They do look a nice tyre, but have heard mixed reviews, also they have 2 new 1's out now 1st are the T1-R's kind of takin over from T1-S's and for the same price
http://www.toyo.co.uk/graphics/t1-r_tyre.jpg

and then the ones that if i had the money i would have had but also had trouble finding them aswell are toyo's new road legal track tyre :) very nice!!!
http://www.toyo.co.uk/graphics/R888_hi.jpg

maybe next time for now the new yoko's ive just bought will do me well i feel! :)

LeeT5
Friday 28th January 2005, 03:11
Hi Jp, you are getting a very good tyre but i can tell you now that you might regret it.
I had TS-1s all round on my 850 t5 estate and b4 you ask...Yes the tracking was ok, infact had four wheel laser alighnment done at ELITE in Rainham, Essex for £50.
Anyway after about 6-8 months started to notice wear on the outside edges of the tyres. I had the tracking checked and it was still bang on (the car drives as staight as a die!) When they wore away to nothing i changed over to pirelli pzero neros. On a recent trip to ELITE in my wifes MR2 for some new front tyres, discovered that Toyo have replaced TS-1s with TR-1s!! REASON? Toyo found in road tests that the outside edges of the tyres were rapidly wearing away so they developed the TR-1 which has two grooves running the circumference of the tyre. This (apparantly) cured the problem :) Therefore i fitted two of these to the front of my wifes MR2. Very nice they are too! bewarned the T5 and R will eat soft compound tyres in just over a year if driven hard now and again. My fronts are now on 2mm and the rears 6-7mm! thats why i'm switching back to OE fit Pirelli PZERO ASYMMETRICO, much harder compound and therefore longer lasting..AND cheaper at £95-44 ea inc valve balance and fit.

Murphy
Friday 28th January 2005, 08:52
Despite me saying i was gonna get the Kummo's, i went for good year eagle F1. One of the best in the wet. The kummo would be my 2nd choice. 10/10 value for money ;)