PDA

View Full Version : Key getting stuck in ignition (S70 T5 auto) - switch cleaner/WD40/suggestions?

jim_from_surrey
Friday 17th May 2013, 00:20
just wondering if anyone else has had this?

it's an auto and its almost like i havent put it in park fully (but i have) as the key sometimes wont come out easily - so far i have managed to get it out most of the time (luckily its parked off road as a few occasions i havent managed and i've had to leave it in overnight!)

earlier it came out half way and a bit of wiggling got it out so i'm thinking i need to lube it up a bit - anyone got any suggestions as to what i should (or shouldn't) use for this?

The car has been on SORN for some time and has just been awakened and is road legal again now, so it's probably the old PUCS (parked up car syndrome) symptoms, but it's something i deffo need to sort out!

cheers

Jim

jim_from_surrey
Friday 17th May 2013, 15:08
quick update... it seems that the shift lock button has got sticky and was very slightly pressed in and this was causing it - pull it up with a pair of needle nosed pliers and its ok again

so now i need to know whats the best stuff to use to free this up because when it is pressed in it stays in and i have to lever it up a little, enough to get the pliers back on and pull it all the way up!

i do have some servisol switch cleaning lubricant which i will try with later in the absence of any replies - but if anyone has any better suggestions please let me know!

i'm not 100% confident that the switch on the actual shift itself is always coming out as far as it should so can the linkage for this be adjusted (if there is one), or is this just a matter of lubing it up as well?

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 17th May 2013, 15:36
depending on the age of the car the shiftlock button is either to a solenoid or a cable .

T5frankie
Friday 17th May 2013, 17:12
This has happened lots before always that button

jim_from_surrey
Sunday 19th May 2013, 00:07
i've been running around doing some errands today, stopping and starting etc and i think that certainly the main problem was that button but in everyday use, the big button on the front of the shifter is also sticky and doesn't always come up fully when i go into park, i have to come out back into another gear, then back intop park, sometimes it pops out if i knock the side of the shifter or if i get hold of it and pull it out while wiggling it.

it's a 1999 ME7 2.3hpt s70 t5

i've owned the car for 5 years but he's been parked up on a sorn for about a year apart from an outing to the mot garage backend of summer last year.

He's suffering various PUCS (parked up car syndrome) related little problems which i hope to iron out soon - think i'll start a new thread about all of them lol

do you know if the inside of this switch can be got at so i can clean and lube it?

T5frankie
Sunday 19th May 2013, 08:54
i've been running around doing some errands today, stopping and starting etc and i think that certainly the main problem was that button but in everyday use, the big button on the front of the shifter is also sticky and doesn't always come up fully when i go into park, i have to come out back into another gear, then back intop park, sometimes it pops out if i knock the side of the shifter or if i get hold of it and pull it out while wiggling it.

it's a 1999 ME7 2.3hpt s70 t5

i've owned the car for 5 years but he's been parked up on a sorn for about a year apart from an outing to the mot garage backend of summer last year.

He's suffering various PUCS (parked up car syndrome) related little problems which i hope to iron out soon - think i'll start a new thread about all of them lol

do you know if the inside of this switch can be got at so i can clean and lube it?
just one of those safety features volvo have, unless its in park properly it wont let you leave the car lol

win
Sunday 19th May 2013, 11:19
Mine sticks also (c70 auto) I have to carry my spare key around to lock it when the key is stuck. Go out half an hour later and it comes straight out.

jim_from_surrey
Sunday 26th May 2013, 04:27
quick update... it's deffinately the big "trigger" button on the shifter thats causing the problems (now i make sure the shift lock is up and doesn't get touched!), but it's getting better and when it sticks in i can always get it out by lifting the shifter or moving it around... i'm hoping that its going to carry on getting better the more i drive the car

JamesT5
Sunday 26th May 2013, 07:18
Now you know what the Saab drivers have to put up with every time they forget to leave their cars in reverse! :rotfl: :hihi: :B_thumb: