PDA

View Full Version : Vibration from auto box

Cookievet
Saturday 11th May 2013, 11:10
Hi guys, can anyone help me with an intermittent engine bay vibration problem please?
When I brake the vibration starts as the speed drops below 20mph but only after using the brakes quite a lot as in winding roads. I can usually stop with no vibration 5 or 6 times then it starts to get worse but goes away if I am careful for a while. The vibration is not speed related ie its a constant frequency and continues when I stop until I release the brake and also worsens the harder I brake. I am thinking auto box problems, does this make sense? The problem is intermittent and worsens after spirited (not silly) driving. Sometimes I can stop with no vibration, next stop I get a mild judder the next stop is a tooth rattling judder that scares the passenger. The vibration keeps going at the same rate till I stop and the frequency is the same as the speed reduces. I can reduce or stop it by cadance braking. I can reproduce it by gently increasing the revs from tick over with the car in drive and the footbrake pressed so no car movement but I have not risked doing that with the bonnet raised to see if the engine is flapping around. The upper engine mount is cracked but as far as I can see not failed completely and there are no other clunks etc when I accelerate or brake hard.
Any pointers would be gratefully received.

stephenevans99
Saturday 11th May 2013, 11:45
Are you sure it's not ABS related?

Harvey
Saturday 11th May 2013, 12:04
Are the brake discs warped or is there a sticking pad in the callipers,or are the pads worn right down and start to over heat the discs.

Biff
Saturday 11th May 2013, 13:36
I'd go around each wheel feeling for a hot one. Sounds like the caliper is sticking to me. Had same prob with my manual.

JamesT5
Saturday 11th May 2013, 13:59
Hi guys, can anyone help me with an intermittent engine bay vibration problem please?
When I brake the vibration starts as the speed drops below 20mph but only after using the brakes quite a lot as in winding roads. I can usually stop with no vibration 5 or 6 times then it starts to get worse but goes away if I am careful for a while. The vibration is not speed related ie its a constant frequency and continues when I stop until I release the brake and also worsens the harder I brake. I am thinking auto box problems, does this make sense? The problem is intermittent and worsens after spirited (not silly) driving. Sometimes I can stop with no vibration, next stop I get a mild judder the next stop is a tooth rattling judder that scares the passenger. The vibration keeps going at the same rate till I stop and the frequency is the same as the speed reduces. I can reduce or stop it by cadance braking. I can reproduce it by gently increasing the revs from tick over with the car in drive and the footbrake pressed so no car movement but I have not risked doing that with the bonnet raised to see if the engine is flapping around. The upper engine mount is cracked but as far as I can see not failed completely and there are no other clunks etc when I accelerate or brake hard.
Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Mine does this a bit now I've got gearbox issues and I can safely rule out brakes because I had new calipers, discs and pads only in December.

It could be a problem with the output shaft on your gearbox or possibly a driveshaft issue which is also something I'm looking in to.

Cookievet
Saturday 11th May 2013, 21:49
I put in new yellow pads, unplugged the ABS controller and it still goes on. I must admit that the o/s calliper was a bit stiff when I changed the pads so will look to that next. Thanks all. I will report on the results as soon as I get the work done.