PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a brake bleed tool please

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 10th May 2013, 00:02
Hi

I need a one man brake bleeding tool. And was going to go for the obvious choice, a Gunsons Eezibleed, until I read one review online from someone who said they won't fit "modern volvos". Now to me anything that is younger than 15 years counts as modern, but who knows what he meant? :eye-poppi But I know from previous cars that the Eezibleed can be a bit hit or miss.

So what should I go for?

Early Ph2 V70 by the way.

M-R-P
Friday 10th May 2013, 00:06
The father in law has a thing you plug into a compressor. It has a 8L tank and works via venturi suction. There's an attatchment that you can poke down the dipstick hole to drain the oil from the engine and an attatchment that sucks brake fluid from the caliper nipples. It cost about 20 quid from Lidl or Aldi. Worth investigating as it worked a treat on mine.

Harvey
Friday 10th May 2013, 03:59
Or just someone to press the pedal for you and it will only cost you a coffee and a cake.

Most new cars with ABS the pressure needs to be kept Down on pressure bleeders not much more than 10 psi.
the real new stuff some have a service mode when the fluid is changed.

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 10th May 2013, 09:53
I really don't like the 2 man job. I know it should be straight forward, but I've never been happy with the results the few times I've done it in the past. You can keep te pressure down with an Eezibleed, you just make sure you deflate the pressure source (i.e. tyre) low enough. The typical problem with the Eezibleed is the cap not fitting properly on the MC, so that's what I was hoping could be confirmed by you lovely people.

M-R-P, that tool sounds good, but I don't have a compressor.

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 7th June 2013, 16:41
Well, I still need to get a bleeder. I'm absolutely adament that I'm doing this on my own. I've done the 2 man method in the past, and I've also used an Eezibleed on my Pug 205, and the Eezibleed method was hands down far easier with better results. The only reason I'm questionng this on here, is I know that with the pressure kits they can be problematic if the tool in use doesn't have an acurately formed cap for the car it's being used on (and I've heard that about the Eezibleed).

Some of you must have some experience of these on your Volvos, so please speak up. All I really need to know is that xyz tool fits on a Ph2 reservoir correctly without leaking. And the only sesnible options I can find seem to be the Eezibleed or this Sealey one http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=13200&productdescription=&productcode=&category=6&catgroup=122&catmicrogroup=1078&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16

Kingsford G
Friday 7th June 2013, 17:37
I have the Eaziblleeder and the suction one and prefer Eazibleeder.Mine has a fer diff caps and if you fit them properly they don`t leak mate and is a good kit.

copie22
Friday 7th June 2013, 22:22
another way is to back bleed system if been changing a pipe, all you need is short bit of hose and a clean oil can , hose on bleed screw and oil can filled will fluid open bleed screw then pump , works most of the time . only time not worked and didn't get a peddle after was on a landy but then pumped peddle till hard jammed peddledown with block of wood till morning , then great peddle after wood removed

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 7th June 2013, 22:29
I have the Eaziblleeder and the suction one and prefer Eazibleeder.Mine has a fer diff caps and if you fit them properly they don`t leak mate and is a good kit.

Is that on the Ph1 in your avatar? Can anyone confirm if the Ph1 and 2 use the same cap on the reservoir? Only I was looking at Eezibleeds on eBay earlier and most of the sellers had that funtion where you can out in your car details and it checks if the item is compatible, and they all came up as not suitable for my Ph2 V70 T5.

Kingsford G
Friday 7th June 2013, 23:27
Is that on the Ph1 in your avatar? Can anyone confirm if the Ph1 and 2 use the same cap on the reservoir? Only I was looking at Eezibleeds on eBay earlier and most of the sellers had that funtion where you can out in your car details and it checks if the item is compatible, and they all came up as not suitable for my Ph2 V70 T5.
Yes mate,mine is a P1.There should be a few diff size caps in the kit.

LeeT5
Saturday 15th June 2013, 10:50
I just had the dealer do it. Cost me 30 minutes labour at discounted rate and i drank two cups of their FREE coffee!!

Oh yeah, that's 30 minutes to bleed the entire system inc clutch slave cylinder and had them fill with ATE Blue.
They use a pressure bleeder. I know your not meant to use two man method if a car has ABS, something to do with damaging the seals in the master cylinder.

Didn't see the point in buying a decent pressure bleeder only to use it once every two years!:cuckoo:

kyboy
Sunday 16th June 2013, 09:07
Got mine from halfords just a piece of pipe with a oneway valve on it just push it on its got a clip on it so it doesn't come off just pump it till there's no air bubbles in the pipe and job done did my R a treat and it goes in ya tool box great!! 5 or 10 quid cant remember! Old skools the best!

jodiexii
Sunday 16th June 2013, 12:53
My mate did mine 2006 s60 d5, he used sealey kit.
Only problem with using self bleed is they fill your reservoir right to top.
I used a syringe to get some out