PDA

View Full Version : remaps, quick question

no1tosh
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 19:46
hey ive been offered a remap by a place called volksmaster next to my bodyshop. he said its £175 and according to his software it will add between 30-36BHP to a 850 t5 depending on engine condition ect....

i was a bit cautious even though hes done a few including his own which i drove before and after and it defanatly seemed to work.

anyway i asked him who's map it is and he said there own and what they do is reset the fuel and air values and tollerances to where they should be before the dealerships tone them down.

Is this the basic idea behind the remaps ie, rica and hlm?

any other advice welcome

cheers

Jamest5r
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 20:05
Why bother with the risk when you can get off the shelf maps for £150

AndysR
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 20:07
Dealerships don't alter the air and fuel ratios before delivery so I'm not sure what the company mean when they say that. Sounds like a map they have designed themselves on a custom level. Might be worth a try but if it were me I'd prefer a map from a renown source..

V70 Graham
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 20:19
Why bother with the risk when you can get off the shelf maps for £150

Dealerships don't alter the air and fuel ratios before delivery so I'm not sure what the company mean when they say that. Sounds like a map they have designed themselves on a custom level. Might be worth a try but if it were me I'd prefer a map from a renown source..

Two lots of good advice, can't go far wrong with a tried and trusted map.

oblark
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 21:21
But the RICA/HLM 304 are getting out of date, LINK (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?50367-Isn-t-it-about-time&highlight=)

no1tosh
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 22:38
i know thats what i thought, thing is im running a standard car other than a dump valve and bleed valve, so i didnt know weather these hlm and rica maps would work. i thoght they would be be for the bigger injector and turbo ect... crowd.

i just havnt got that far yet.
would i be better getting the turbo and other mods do first and then getting a map to accompany the mods?

no1tosh
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 22:42
ahhh just read that link so they would suit me, tbh im only thinking of going for a 16t turbo, injectors, RIP and exhaust.
my money is very tight i can save like £20 a week plus any overtime i get at work, and with things like paint and lowering, strut braces ect i think its as far as i can go.

i only really want to remap once so like i say above would i be better doing the mods first or does it not work like that?
thanks for the replys :)

evil850
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 23:57
mines a powerchip 300 from sweden,soldered a socket in,pushed it in and worked straight away
got it delivered off of the bay,easily pushing 300 now with my other mods surely

jotter22
Thursday 9th May 2013, 09:04
My HLM map gave me Nearly 40WHP (auto) with no other mods! ring Hamish and ask the man that knows best!

960kg
Thursday 9th May 2013, 10:17
But the RICA/HLM 304 are getting out of date, LINK (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?50367-Isn-t-it-about-time&highlight=)

I don`t understand this one!!

The cars are out of date as well which must match the remaps!

If a map is designed for an engine then surely that is what you have and cannot better it as nothing has changed.....

LeeT5
Thursday 9th May 2013, 14:10
I don`t understand this one!!

The cars are out of date as well which must match the remaps!

If a map is designed for an engine then surely that is what you have and cannot better it as nothing has changed.....

I think what he is saying is, most people are running the larger 16T/18T/19T units with higher flow injectors than the orange ones on early T5's.
It's fair to say that Neither HLM or RICA have made a map for later cars. well, as far as i know they haven't.
so that means going the very expensive BSR, POLESTAR, MTE route, which, alot of ppl cannot afford or justify.

LeeT5
Thursday 9th May 2013, 14:18
.......As far as No1Tosh is concerned, your right, nothing has changed as he is still running an Early 850 T5, therefore, the HLM/RICA map will be just the ticket.

Worth remembering, before you remap your car you should be ensurings that the car is in perfect working order, fully serviced and has had at least a Stage '0' including replacing worn or suspect suspension components/bushes.
Remapping WILL cause any weak components to rear their ugly heads and these will obviously need to be rectified to get the best of of your remap.
It is paramount that your brakes are also overhauled or upgraded to ensure they will be as powerful as they can be and reign in the extra horses. So many ppl overlook this and wonder why they end up wrapping their hard earned round a tree or falling off a bend cos they coudln't stop or slow down enough!!

Just some friendly advise :)

no1tosh
Friday 10th May 2013, 19:07
cheers, im already on it, ive done a full service including an oil flush.
the brakes are next, new pads and disks all round along with braided flexies.
then the top engine mount needs doing and the top mounts, which will get changed when i sort some 40mm springs.

tbh ive just fiited a bleed valve and set it to 0.7 bar and im all ready scared about wrecking my engine, ill be a quivering mess by the time ive done haha.

T5frankie
Friday 10th May 2013, 19:29
mines a powerchip 300 from sweden,soldered a socket in,pushed it in and worked straight away
got it delivered off of the bay,easily pushing 300 now with my other mods surely

you'll be lucky lol maybe 260bhp ask v70graham

no1tosh
Friday 10th May 2013, 20:07
i was thinking that, surley a rica 304 ect.. maps fuel, air and timing to allow up to 304 bhp not give you an instant 300+bhp

V70 Graham
Friday 10th May 2013, 22:25
you'll be lucky lol maybe 260bhp ask v70graham

Mine wasn't a 'bay special' lol, and I don't have the same map now :shhh:

Biff
Saturday 11th May 2013, 00:29
So if I went to rica or HLM for a map I'd have a map suited to an 850t5?
My v70r has an 18t & white injectors I think. Is there a best route to take bar the polestar/bsr route?
I've heard good things about shark remaps & volvo's but before I go letting someone loose with they're laptop I want to know I'm getting the best.
I learnt the hard way with eBay chips, my vauxhall let melted 2 pistons after a dodgy chip recomended by a mate.

M-R-P
Saturday 11th May 2013, 00:31
Kalmar union do a (I think) BSR remap that'll see your car do well...;)

Biff
Saturday 11th May 2013, 00:41
But I'm gonna need to sell a kidney & testical to fund it? Lol
Never heard of Kalmar union. I'll google now. I love fri nights in work, pure Volvo fest. Lol

M-R-P
Saturday 11th May 2013, 00:54
The K U website is crap but Don is a very knowledgeable chap who knows his stuff.

Biff
Saturday 11th May 2013, 00:58
Yeah agreed its not up to much. Says they use mte software, me thinks a phone call will be in order once my to do list has gone down. Lol

M-R-P
Saturday 11th May 2013, 01:12
MTE - rhat's the one, couldn't remember lol