PDA

View Full Version : 1999 C70 T5 Hardtop Turbo issues/advice/recomendations please

robthebrit
Tuesday 7th May 2013, 23:24
Hi there,

ALERT newbie..
I have a C70 T5 and it has used a lot of oil for a while now and I have never really been too concerned because my T4 did use oil especially when you pushed it. I also had my brother follow me (try to keep up) and he said it didn't smoke. However over the past 2 months I have really noticed the oil consumption go up and have started to see smoke in peoples headlight when I pull away from traffic. So I am guessing as I have 108k on the clock the turbo is about to go pop. I have started to contact turbo people and have been quoted by turbo technics £275 to £350 for a recon of mine if I take it out and put it back in, which I really don't want to do as I know they are not easy on these cars or £800 for then to do the whole lot. Also quoted an additional £360 to do the timing belt as well. I have also thought about having a dump valve or BOV. When I brought my T4 it already had one on it and it did make me smile. Should I get one ? any ideas on price and do they actually do anything.

Has anyone replaced their turbo or had it reconned ? Any recommendations on companies people have used? Are the above prices good bad ? Anyone got one lying about ?
The cheap new turbo's from ebay £300 I am guessing are cheap crap that wont last two minutes from china.

I am so excited about having an engine I don't have to worry about once I get the turbo and the belt done. I had the ETM done last year... so hoping nothing else can crop up. Summer, windows down, country roads 2nd, 3rd and 4th :)
Thanks

Rob
C

M-R-P
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 00:34
Welcome Rob.

For reference, mine has 201k on the clock and the turbo is as good as new. Is there any exchange between the coolant and oil? (mayonnaise on the dipstick or oil in the coolant).
I paid £183 to have my timing belt done so shop around for that one.
If you need one, there's usually a few turbos up for grabs on the forums, maybe a good chance to upgrade? I know C70Geoff might be selling an 18T soon.

Personally, I'd be in search of the cause of the oil loss before spending out on a new turbo.

claymore
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 07:22
Yep, I'm with Martin, look at PCV, could even be valve guides. how much oil is it using? Quoting you an extra £450 to take off and refit the turbo is a §§§§ take, it isn't that big a job. heat shield off, 4 nuts on the turbo to manifold, 3 nuts on the down pipe, oil feed banjo, 2 water pipe banjos. and finally from underneath the car the oil return pipe.

M-R-P
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 09:24
Hmmm - wouldn't fancy it myself lol.

If the PCV was blocked, wouldn't it use no oil at all? until it ruptures the rms - but then it would leave a sodding great puddle.

Strangely, mine's used nearly 2L of oil in the last 4k miles...

robthebrit
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 09:37
Thanks for the responses. I have checked the header tank and its clean no sign of oil in there. No Mayo on the dipstick either. I have noticed my rear bumper is getting oily residue on it as if I was driving a diesel so that's why I think its the turbo oil getting through and out the exhaust. There is no oil marks underneath it when its been standing for a while. I will go and check again as it hasn't moved for nearly 48 hours :( I have send Geoffc70 a message to see if he is ready to let go of the 18T. Would I not need a different pipe for that. I am going to get RiPsTa33 to work on my car.
I have read about the PCV being blocked and that causing issues but I am reality sure with the amount its using it has to be the turbo. I have put 5 litres in over probably 2,000 to 3,000 miles. I do a lot of miles and always top up the olil before most outings. Generally I sit on my private road that leads to work at about 80 -90. I also have it converted to LPG so all the fun for half the price, then when I want more power I turn off the gas and hold on tight.
I would also like to de-cat it but would it not them fail the MOT on emissions (hopefully not being LPG)

M-R-P
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 09:45
I presume the speed you mentioned is in Km/h ;)

Ripsa knows what he's doing so I'm sure he'll get to the bottom of things. If you have no puddles or damp spots on the engine then it could be the PCV catchtank full and blowing oil into the intake, knackered valve seals or the turbo oil seals giving up.

robthebrit
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 09:49
Just moved the car and no oil spots or damp spots. If the turbo is going should the smoke be white\blue as I can only see white smoke when I rev it. I will get RiPsTa33 to do the breather system as well I think. I am so excited having a car that I don't have to worry about is going to be lovely. Does anyone know what town/city RiPsTa33 lives in so I can check the mileage.

M-R-P
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 09:56
There's nothing like a well sorted Volvo mate, I should know. It's taken me over 2 years and £3200 to get there ;)

Out of interest, ever been pulled by a plod V70 between 2003 and 2006? My car used to belong to Leicestershire traffic :D

V70 Graham
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 10:28
Out of interest, ever been pulled by a plod V70 between 2003 and 2006? My car used to belong to Leicestershire traffic :D

Your car couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding !

robthebrit
Wednesday 8th May 2013, 10:33
Nope, can say I have been pulled in my C70 by anyone. Hopefully not speak too soon :)