PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

audimadmike
Monday 17th October 2005, 13:33
As We All Know 850 Lights Might As Well Be Blanked Off!!

Will The V70 Headlights Fit Even With A Minor Mod (force)

They Look Very Similar In Size And Shape.

Mike

splatt
Monday 17th October 2005, 13:44
As We All Know 850 Lights Might As Well Be Blanked Off!!

Will The V70 Headlights Fit Even With A Minor Mod (force)

They Look Very Similar In Size And Shape.

MikeI just changed the bulbs in mine for theese
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16315&cat=253&page=1

good prices, good delivery

Aiken
Monday 17th October 2005, 17:43
That's a very good price, I just went down to the local boy racers shop today and picked up some Phillips VisionPlus (H7/55w) for £24.99 for the pair. 50% more light with 10-20m longer beam.

I was desperate since having a headlight out so didnt have time to check around the web, they do seem to be good bulbs however, although it isnt too dark yet to tell.

T5Rdragon
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 13:13
Just to hijack the thread slightly (rather than start a new one) - My 850 has it's headlights on dipped all the time - on the V40 you can switch this off - the 850 manual also says you can switch them off via the little "screw" below the headlight switch - for some reason mine does NOT affect the headlights at all, but instead it controls whether the _sidelights_ are on or not when the headlight switch is at "0".

So what's the crack there? All other 850s I see at the moment have no lights on in the day, and I want to join them, but the manual doesn't tell it how it really is.

splatt
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 13:26
Just to hijack the thread slightly (rather than start a new one) - My 850 has it's headlights on dipped all the time - on the V40 you can switch this off - the 850 manual also says you can switch them off via the little "screw" below the headlight switch - for some reason mine does NOT affect the headlights at all, but instead it controls whether the _sidelights_ are on or not when the headlight switch is at "0".

So what's the crack there? All other 850s I see at the moment have no lights on in the day, and I want to join them, but the manual doesn't tell it how it really is.
mines the same mate...

chriskay
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 13:44
On mine (1996) the screw allows me to turn the headlights off in position '0' but the third screw position, which in theory should give me 'dim dip' it doesn't, they stay on full.
Cheers, Chris.
p.s. you know you've got to press the screw in slightly before turning?

splatt
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 14:11
all it does is the side lights go off at position 0, dim dip stays on, perhaps another quirk of Volvo!!

T5Rdragon
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 14:30
Agreed - I turn and can see the sidelights being affected but not the headlights - unless it's multi-function and just turning does sidelights and pushing and turning does the headlights, and therefore maybe I didn't push in enough - but that seems unlikely to me.

I don't want it to be a quirk of Volvo - I want my lights off, damnit!!! <stomps like a child>
;)

Actually, I just saw more threads on the subject, so I'm off to read those :)

Liddo
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 15:14
If i remember rightly, Volvo changed the settings on later 850's and S/V70's so that the light cans be switched off completely. My S70 lights are always off, but Im gonna change it seeing as its dark in the mornings, to always on, because for some reason, I havent got a warning buzzer if I leave my sidelights on :frown:

My 1995 855 always had lights on, and I couldnt turn em off

t5owner
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 15:24
If i remember rightly, Volvo changed the settings on later 850's and S/V70's so that the light cans be switched off completely. My S70 lights are always off, but Im gonna change it seeing as its dark in the mornings, to always on, because for some reason, I havent got a warning buzzer if I leave my sidelights on :frown:

My 1995 855 always had lights on, and I couldnt turn em off

The S70 doesn`t have a warning buzzer for the lights :haha:

Andrew
Wednesday 19th October 2005, 15:27
The S70 doesn`t have a warning buzzer for the lights :haha:

Neither does the V70 and it annoys the hell outa me. I'm for ever leaving my lights on half way.

weasel
Thursday 20th October 2005, 21:12
splatt, do these bulbs offer any actual improvement over petrol station jobbies?

T5Rdragon
Thursday 20th October 2005, 21:48
I hope so - I ordered a set from that link - was great - they take PayPal, and they'd not only processed my order, but actually had them in the post in under 2 hours from the order being made! Should be here tomorrow

Andrew
Thursday 20th October 2005, 23:15
I hope so - I ordered a set from that link - was great - they take PayPal, and they'd not only processed my order, but actually had them in the post in under 2 hours from the order being made! Should be here tomorrow

Let me know how they are - I need some improvement in the V70.

shadquattro
Friday 21st October 2005, 17:00
it doesnt really matter if they fit or not audimadmike ,because my s2 needs an ellipsoid before you spend more money on that estate car sweetheart.

Andrew
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 01:03
it doesnt really matter if they fit or not audimadmike ,because my s2 needs an ellipsoid before you spend more money on that estate car sweetheart.

LOL
don't you hate it when they follow you LOL

T5Rdragon
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 14:57
Well, there they were, on the doormat when I got home (gawd knows how they fitted through the box.

Looking at Haynes now to see how to change em over ;)

T5Rdragon
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 15:28
OK, fitted (how easy!) - now we wait for the dark... ;)

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 15:49
upgrade your mainbeam to the 100w option....not strictly legal but who's gonna know....

audimadmike
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 16:32
Is the wiring okay for the 100 Watt bulbs?

I thought the wiring already looked very thin compared to other cars I've had.

With so many Xenon lights about I suppose the 100W would look similar, to the untrained eye!

Mike

weasel
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 20:44
apparently, 100w bulbs will melt the fittings. it's been dark....

Andrew
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 20:47

eeek :(

T5Rdragon
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 21:32
It's been dark....
Indeed - well yes, they ARE brighter - still not up to V40 standards I don't think, but definately an improvement. And well, when you get a pair of them online for the same price as ONE costs at Halfrauds, and they arrived the very next day... I aint complaining (expecially as I haven't checked my alignment, so that might help)

weasel
Monday 24th October 2005, 00:53
cheers, i might give them a go.

MattB
Monday 24th October 2005, 12:14

I ran 100w bulbs for mainbean (not dipped beam tho!) on my 20v with no problems at all. Visibility in the dark, ie country lanes, was greatly improved. Have yet to do it to my T5....

weasel
Tuesday 25th October 2005, 01:24
got a couple of the xenon bulbs today and they are brighter and whiter - not very dazzlingly, burning the retinas bright though.