PDA

View Full Version : welding.............

silverhorse
Monday 6th May 2013, 20:43
I need to weld a bit on the V70 T5 (2005). Is this fraught with danger, or if I disconnect the battery, will I be OK? I don't want to fry any modules!

Cheers
Paul

copie22
Monday 6th May 2013, 20:47
when ever I do welding at work on machines I keep the earth as close as can to where welding and use a anti surge protecter and not had a problem yet

JimmyBurnWorld
Monday 6th May 2013, 20:54
Disconnect the battery negative and earth as close as possible to the point you are welding. Also, don't just assume the earth clamp is making a good connection, clean the earth point with a wire brush and give the earth clamp a wiggle after clamping. An extra couple of seconds here can save electrical issues later, as well as making welding a bit easier!

copie22
Monday 6th May 2013, 21:19
have know people in my job blow ecu by only disconnecting the battery , I know that one I worked with only did as you have said and fried a ecu on cat engine. so i always use a anti surge protecter, or disconnect all modules , better to spend time been right than costing you lots of money

andyb1375
Monday 6th May 2013, 21:20
What are you welding Paul?

silverhorse
Monday 6th May 2013, 21:28
What are you welding Paul?
I knocked a bolt sleeve off with a lump hammer when I was trying to extract the front wishbone bush. It was being a bit stubborn so I clobbered it but my aim was a bit off and I split the weld. Bush came out though!!

silverhorse
Monday 6th May 2013, 22:17
, or disconnect all modules ,

Bl00dy hell, that would be a job and a half!!

silverhorse
Monday 6th May 2013, 22:21
Is the surge protector you mean something like THIS (http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/12v-surge-protector-280.html)??
If so I will invest in one. The 12 Volt description, does that mean it works with our cars 12 volt electrics as opposed to a truck 24 Volts, or is that the power of the welding gear? As you can see, I know nothing about welding!!

Harvey
Monday 6th May 2013, 22:31
When you renove the earth ,remove key from barrel and weight at least 5 min before removing the battery earth.
And when you refit the earth cable the key must be in position number 2.

I would guess the part that you knocked off would be galvanised if it is it will need to be removed back to plain steel or the weld with rubbish .

welderone
Tuesday 7th May 2013, 07:38
Having welded for 47 Years I have always disconnected the battery first, made sure the area I was welding was cleaned especially where the earth clamp was going. Alot of new heavy plant you have to take extra precautions too but with your car you should be ok. Peter

silverhorse
Sunday 12th May 2013, 08:48
Done the welding yesterday. Made sure I had a good earth and it was close to the area to be welded. Did not use a surge protector as all the mechanics I spoke to said they were a waste of money!!
I have put the car through 4 cycles and, touch wood, no EML.

andyb1375
Sunday 12th May 2013, 08:53
Done the welding yesterday. Made sure I had a good earth and it was close to the area to be welded. Did not use a surge protector as all the mechanics I spoke to said they were a waste of money!!
I have put the car through 4 cycles and, touch wood, no EML.

Great stuff !!

copie22
Thursday 16th May 2013, 22:21
sorry been away , glad you got sorted out and done welding , thing is when welding for a repair for others its not worth taking the chance when the machines I work on a module are £200 up to couple of grand each and many on them . but glad your all sorted out