PDA

View Full Version : Savage geartronic gearchanges

ChrisB
Monday 6th May 2013, 14:47
Hi Guys,
Has anyone out there come across this little problem that has manifested itself. 05 V70 R drives normally from cold then after approx ten miles or so appears to misfire with lack of power but only for a few seconds but at the same time the 6speed geartronic box makes really savage gearchanges, even at low speeds or trailng throttle. It doesn't do it every journey just occasionally. Of course the "engine system service light illuminates along with the amber warning triangle and the emissions light. Went to a local garage who use Snap-on code reader and the code was 1210 Maf sensor- flow too high. They erased the fault light and I have stripped and cleaned the Maf sensor with electrical switch cleaner including the plug. There was quite a bit of debris on the inner wire mesh of the maf body that had got past the filter. I cleaned out the trunking to the air filter box & the box itself then fitted a Volvo replacement air filter. Next day no misfire or warning lights but the gearbox started it's antics with savage changes again but only for three of four miles then back to normal. I have checked the plug to the module on top of the gearbox and it was clean but spayed it with contact cleaner for good measure.I am guessing that the gearbox is connected to the ECU which then decides which gear depending on the information it receives from the various sensors, so is this duff info being fed to the ecu. Any suggestions would be appreciated, whilst at the garage no other fault codes were evident.
Thanks in advance ChrisB.

Harvey
Monday 6th May 2013, 20:38
The first thing what sort of miles is on the car.
You really need the car fault codes down loaded with a dice- VIDA the machine volvo use to get into the gearbox controller to see if there are any faults loged.
The first thing I would do is get the codes with a volvo reader which will show all the faults engine/ gearbox.
The maf fault could be a air leak ,maf fault ,do you have a stock air filter fitted or a oil KN type.
Your gearbox does not have a dipstick fitted so you do need a Dice-VIDA to change the oil as it must be at a set temp to set the level.

ChrisB
Saturday 11th May 2013, 19:08
Hi Harvey,
Thanks for the info. The car has just over 73.000k on the clock and I had virtually decided that I may have to bite the bullet and get a code read-out at Volvo. Only today after approx 60 miles the gearbox started it's antics again but only for about three miles then all is ok except the engine system service light is back on with the emissions light so I will ring Volvo and keep you posted on their diagnosis, other than a few niggles probably the best car I have owned!!!

graemewelch
Saturday 11th May 2013, 20:24
are you anywear near huddersfield. i can recomend a exelent volvo garage that very very resonable

ChrisB
Saturday 11th May 2013, 22:12
Why hello bonnie lad,
Didn't realise you were in Chester ( local referal) I lived in Durham City from 1974 to 83 but now live near Hornsea on the coast just below Bridlington. I am probably about a couple of hours from Huddersfield but if your guys know what they are doing it may well be worth a trip. I have just replaced the air filter with a Volvo stock item which incidentally was already fitted but grubby. Up to last |September the car has always been serviced at Volvo md.
Thank you .

ExternalError
Saturday 11th May 2013, 22:24
I had something similar to this but I also received dtsc errors, I sorted it by replacing the CV joint which had a crack in the cog the abs sensor uses which was giving a fault reading in the abs sensor causing it to go into limp mode then come out of it again once it read correctly, it wouldn't do it regular as it didn't always pick up the crack and throw a error. It could be a dodgy sensor causing the car to go in and out of limp mode if its throwing MAF codes thats the place id look 1st

Harvey
Saturday 11th May 2013, 22:30
Hi Harvey,
Thanks for the info. The car has just over 73.000k on the clock and I had virtually decided that I may have to bite the bullet and get a code read-out at Volvo. Only today after approx 60 miles the gearbox started it's antics again but only for about three miles then all is ok except the engine system service light is back on with the emissions light so I will ring Volvo and keep you posted on their diagnosis, other than a few niggles probably the best car I have owned!!!

With that sort of miles ask for the cost of a fluid change/flush then a software update on the gearbox then ask them what they would charge to relearn the box shift points.
Should be £200 ish.
Ps volvo don't do a gearbox oil change as part of there service schedule.

graemewelch
Saturday 11th May 2013, 22:54
Why hello bonnie lad,
Didn't realise you were in Chester ( local referal) I lived in Durham City from 1974 to 83 but now live near Hornsea on the coast just below Bridlington. I am probably about a couple of hours from Huddersfield but if your guys know what they are doing it may well be worth a trip. I have just replaced the air filter with a Volvo stock item which incidentally was already fitted but grubby. Up to last |September the car has always been serviced at Volvo md.
Thank you .#

im in witton gilbert now. ill pm you with some details. prob worth giving him a bell and mention the lad with the t5 with R clutch.

ChrisB
Monday 20th May 2013, 21:35
Hi Guys, Had to bite the bullet and go to Volvo MD for a code read.They found what we think is causing most of the fault codes, like one of the mounting lugs on the intercooler pipe over the engine has fractured where it is moulded to the pipe & on the underside where I couldn't see hence the MAF fault, engine system service and reduced engine performance lights. It looks like alloy but is actually plastic and Volvo only want to relieve me of £216 plus £50 labour to remove & replace two jubilee clips & two torx screws. I would imagine finding a second hand one a non starter so I thought maybe I could find someone to plastic weld it. Alternatively cut off the lug and sleeve over the fracture with silicon hose, does this seem a possibility or has anyone else come across this problem, any advice welcome

LeeT5
Monday 20th May 2013, 22:05
Hi Guys, Had to bite the bullet and go to Volvo MD for a code read.They found what we think is causing most of the fault codes, like one of the mounting lugs on the intercooler pipe over the engine has fractured where it is moulded to the pipe & on the underside where I couldn't see hence the MAF fault, engine system service and reduced engine performance lights. It looks like alloy but is actually plastic and Volvo only want to relieve me of £216 plus £50 labour to remove & replace two jubilee clips & two torx screws. I would imagine finding a second hand one a non starter so I thought maybe I could find someone to plastic weld it. Alternatively cut off the lug and sleeve over the fracture with silicon hose, does this seem a possibility or has anyone else come across this problem, any advice welcome

Volvo started using plastic OTE pipes from 05> to safe weight. Your best bet is to bite the bullet and buy an Alloy one from an 04 model. These do not crack, nor do they 'implode' under high boost. If you don't believe me guys (all you 05> owners) get someone to rev your car, dump the throttle and back straight off at 5000 rpm and you will see your OTE pipe literally suck itself in. The alloy ones do not deform.
Cost wise, i wold imagine the alloy type to be more expensive, but as far as I am concerned I would not want a plastic OTE pipe that implodes.
Do not try to plastic weld the pipe. You will just create a weak spot that will fracture again in time.

ChrisB
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 23:05
Hi Lee, thanks for the info. I put a trawl out on Parts gateway and one Volvo breaker out of nine possibilities e-mailed back to confirm he has one from an earlier model but it is alloy not plastic ( deep joy) so I should have it by tomorrow.I had already convinced myself that ally would be better than plastic.I should wave the flag for LB Volvo spares here 01952 460466, funnily enough the guy that runs it is also called Lee. He is an ex Volvo technician so knows what he is talking about & even offered me a full re-fund less postage if I was not happy with the item so couldn't be fairer than that. As a temporary measure I cleaned up the fracture and glued it with Bondloc plastic epoxy resin which cures in 15 minutes and hey presto there are no messages on the info screen and the car is back to normal without those savage gear changes. Hard to believe that a small fracture would cause so much disruption.Thanks to everyone who posted and helped. Regards ChrisB

silverhorse
Thursday 23rd May 2013, 23:18
Volvo started using plastic OTE pipes from 05> to safe weight.

What's an OTE pipe?

LeeT5
Friday 24th May 2013, 01:01
What's an OTE pipe?

Over The Engine. The large Turbo pipe, that goes over the engine. :wink: