PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get worried with 227 miles to go

c70geoff
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:48
Right then folks I'm currently sat in frankly services northbound on the M5 with a problem

The temp gauge seems to want to go up to just about on the red when I drive at 60 to 70 mph
Now I've checked for leaks, none
Checked for sludge under oil cap (head gasket issue), none
Run my code reader, no codes
Full res of coolant
Fan working

What could be making me heat up so much
Faulty sensor
Air blockage
Any help please as I'm spose to be on say to Lake District

c70geoff
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:49
Thermostat ?

Kingsford G
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:49
thermostat or water pump

Jamest5r
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:51
Your only about 10 miles from Chad's/Bennys garage can call them if you want

JamesT5
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:52
Put your blowers on hot, open your windows and drive at 50mph. If you put your blowers on hot and the temperature drops then I'd say faulty thermostat or as someone said, a water pump.

c70geoff
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:53
Ahhhhhhhhh really hope it's neither
Bloody car

c70geoff
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:54
Do I plod on or go back is the question

JamesT5
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:56

Do you have Breakdown cover? If you over heat your engine you could crack the cylinder head which will as you know, be a massive bill!

timbo
Faulty Thermostat, water pump, blocked Rad first culprtits, No fluid loss?? Is expansion tank empty?

c70geoff
What could they do for me jim?

Jamest5r
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:57

Benny might have a loan car for you, he fixes yours you collect on the way back, just an idea

t5 pete
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:58
If the car is over heating dont drive it call the recovery

c70geoff
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:58
Expansion tank full
No leaks anywhere
Been sat 20 mins and everything has cooled right down now
And yes I have cover lol would be embarrassing being a breakdown driver without cover hehe

JamesT5
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:59
What could they do for me jim?

Jim..? Oh, well they can help diagnose the problem and failing that depending on your cover level, tow you to a UK address of your choice. Problem is being a bank holiday weekend and you're not in immediate danger there could be a long wait.

T5frankie
Friday 3rd May 2013, 19:59
Mine was doing the same last week, 18 quid on a genuine stat job done, if you can let a torx to fit just take it out

Jamest5r
Friday 3rd May 2013, 20:00
Jim..? Oh, well they can help diagnose the problem and failing that depending on your cover level, tow you to a UK address of your choice. Problem is being a bank holiday weekend and you're not in immediate danger there could be a long wait.

Think he meant me lol

timbo
Friday 3rd May 2013, 20:02
Ring breakdown bods! Get them to check it out!

c70geoff
Friday 3rd May 2013, 20:02
Yes James I meant other James lol

c70geoff
Friday 3rd May 2013, 20:03
Rac on way but have been sat now for 10 mins with engine on tick over and it's staying steady at just under half way

JamesT5
Friday 3rd May 2013, 20:05
Think he meant me lol

I was going to say, I can't think of anyone who calls me Jim, I thought perhaps Geoff was just being casual. :D

JamesT5
Friday 3rd May 2013, 20:07
Rac on way but have been sat now for 10 mins with engine on tick over and it's staying steady at just under half way

Could be an intermittent fault. If the pump is starting fail then it may kick in but then overheat and cut out, if it's a thermostat it could be an intermittent fault too. Just a though.....

T5frankie
Friday 3rd May 2013, 20:11
It will be the stat not opening enough to cool when you're moving

c70geoff
Friday 3rd May 2013, 20:28
It's all good got the boss to send one of the boys to get me
Lake District dirty weekend will have to wait
Cheers guys will be on thermo in morning as first point of call

JamesT5
Friday 3rd May 2013, 21:00
Ahhhhhhhhh really hope it's neither
Bloody car

I know the feeling.

c70geoff
Friday 3rd May 2013, 22:44
well thanks to the advise of jamest5 and i nice chat with jamest5r i managed to limp her home as i wasnt waiting the 4 hrs my boss put on the eta
window down heaters on and 56 mph all the way
looks like thermostat gone
cheers again fellas all of ya awesome community spirit :)

MoleT-5R
Friday 3rd May 2013, 23:20
good to here you got home ok, shame about your weekend, I think a new thermostat should cure it, by the sound of it

JamesT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 09:33
well thanks to the advise of jamest5 and i nice chat with jamest5r i managed to limp her home as i wasnt waiting the 4 hrs my boss put on the eta
window down heaters on and 56 mph all the way
looks like thermostat gone
cheers again fellas all of ya awesome community spirit :)

Looks like this was a hot topic for a while, ahem. Errr, but glad you got home ok. By the way, I'm in your town on Friday, taking the T5 to Court Road for the Gearbox change. Let's hope everything goes to plan.

c70geoff
Saturday 4th May 2013, 09:58
I know the boys in the gearbox centre, good bunch too. if i'm around will pop by and go for a coffee or in my case a soft drink lol

JamesT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 10:05
I know the boys in the gearbox centre, good bunch too. if i'm around will pop by and go for a coffee or in my case a soft drink lol

I'll be in Cwmbran all day having been at work all night but it'll be worth it I hope! I'll probably go in to town for a walk around and lots of coffee to keep myself going, I'll just be glad to get it all sorted out if I'm honest.

c70geoff
Saturday 4th May 2013, 10:22
well i dont start work till midday that friday so will sort something out matey :)

c70geoff
Saturday 4th May 2013, 11:22
well seems that i have found an excuse to buy some more tools
everytime i get car bits more tools turn up lol
but before i get started i think i'll watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnRwQjTYfGI

JamesT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 12:19
well i dont start work till midday that friday so will sort something out matey :)

Yeah, PM me when you know your schedule, we can have a coffee and a chat. By the way are you planning on coming to Haynes on the 12th?

c70geoff
Saturday 4th May 2013, 12:40
unfortunatly that is my work weekend
i get every other weekend off and that meet landed on work weekend :(

JamesT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 13:26
unfortunatly that is my work weekend
i get every other weekend off and that meet landed on work weekend :(

I've missed lots of meet opportunities because of work and a lot are organised at short notice. Anyway, hopefully you and I can have a chat on Friday morning - just let me know!

Regards

James

c70geoff
Saturday 4th May 2013, 21:44
new thermo in and while was at it new rear pads
ahhh but the merry go round continues as now the passenger side front abs ring needs changing and also and issue with boot lid sensor, if i go round a right hander the boot open light comes on.
anyone else had this problem and if so is it something simply like dirt on the plastic pads maybe?