PDA

View Full Version : V70 hub bolts

silverhorse
Friday 3rd May 2013, 14:33
Doing my front wishbone bushes this weekend. Firstly, am I correct in thinking that I will need to extract the hub bolts to do this job, and secondly, can I reuse them or should I get new ones that have not been torqued??
Have I read somewhere on here that XC90 hub bolts are a better replacement.......?

Thanks guys

Paul

Harvey
Friday 3rd May 2013, 15:57
Yes you do need to remove them and push the shaft in to stop the cv joint falling to bits.
As for the bolts most people don't change them,the do have a habit of working loose,so it's up to you if you want to I did when I did my fronts.
The xc90 bolts are used to stop axle ping but they are a lot more money to buy than the stock ones.

M-R-P
Friday 3rd May 2013, 16:01
Just make sure you push the shaft into the box EVERY time you move something. The shaft has a habit of sneaking out when you're not looking :(

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd May 2013, 16:01
Hub bolts are stretch bolts & should be replaced everytime. Worst case if you re-use is they can snap in the end of the shaft = new CV joint.

volvokid
Friday 3rd May 2013, 16:27
I had mine changed to xc90 ones. My old c70 had axle ping but that got sorted under warranty

silverhorse
Friday 3rd May 2013, 16:48
axle ping

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

stephenevans99
Friday 3rd May 2013, 16:54
Axle Ping.......Chinese version of Beverley Hills Cop :)

silverhorse
Friday 3rd May 2013, 16:55
Hub bolts are stretch bolts & should be replaced everytime. Worst case if you re-use is they can snap in the end of the shaft = new CV joint.

Thought that might be the case. Call me a dummy, but I can't find where to buy them on tinternet. Looked at PFV but dunno where they are..........(XC90 ones)

silverhorse
Friday 3rd May 2013, 16:55
Axle Ping.......Chinese version of Beverley Hills Cop :)

HAAAAAAA!!!! You beat me to it. I was just thinking for a suitable Chinese based punchline!!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd May 2013, 17:05
I can get a pair of replacements - (don't believe everything you read). I am in HLM at the mo - so it's not hard.

volvokid
Friday 3rd May 2013, 17:05
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

It was a knock I would get when moving forwards then going backwards. All volvo did was Loctite the bolts.

Harvey
Friday 3rd May 2013, 17:11
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?40102-Axle-ping

Here is a old thread with part number

graemewelch
Friday 3rd May 2013, 17:52
buy some high tensile bolts. loads better. thats whats fitted in mine after a oe bolt snapped and i had to drill it out.

Harvey
Friday 3rd May 2013, 18:15
Just to add when In at Volvo for service they do retorque them as part of the service they did it at both services.
Then I fitted the xc90 bolts not a problem since.

silverhorse
Friday 3rd May 2013, 18:34
buy some high tensile bolts. loads better. thats whats fitted in mine after a oe bolt snapped and i had to drill it out.
Blimey, don't let LeeT5 hear you say that! Just been reading the link Harvey posted. Lol
Just found THIS (http://www.volvopartshop.com/front-drive-shaft-bolt-30714142-3274-p.asp). Are these the right ones?? The part number is the same so I assume they are the ones.

graemewelch
Friday 3rd May 2013, 23:15
Blimey, don't let LeeT5 hear you say that! Just been reading the link Harvey posted. Lol
Just found THIS (http://www.volvopartshop.com/front-drive-shaft-bolt-30714142-3274-p.asp). Are these the right ones?? The part number is the same so I assume they are the ones.

think about it a different way. if you upgrade your head bolts or arp big end bolts they are non stretch. whats the difference. stretch bolts are more trouble than worth.

graemewelch
Friday 3rd May 2013, 23:17
them bolts will cost £3 from a fastner supplier. it pays to think outside the box.

LeeT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 00:42

Correct!!! Wise words Dave.

personally, i recommend the XC90 bolts. yes they are more expensive, but its better that the normals ones coming loose and.....god forbid if it came all the way out!!
I had axle ping, XC90 bolts fitted = No more axle ping.

....and if you do fit XC90 bolts, they do not work loose so never need 'retorqing'.

LeeT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 00:48
think about it a different way. if you upgrade your head bolts or arp big end bolts they are non stretch. whats the difference. stretch bolts are more trouble than worth.

Yes. There also 'stretch' bolts for a reason.

silverhorse
Saturday 4th May 2013, 03:14
I understand where you are coming from Graeme, but I am with Lee and most other people on this one. For £35 odd quid, I will go for the XC90 bolts. Volvo must have designed them like this for a reason.

silverhorse
Saturday 4th May 2013, 03:44
....and if you do fit XC90 bolts, they do not work loose so never need 'retorqing'.

are the ones I linked to the correct ones? Will get today if they are.

Harvey
Saturday 4th May 2013, 05:26
The way most dealers are today they will be special order,or they only have one in stock.

JamesT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 09:11
Just make sure you push the shaft into the box EVERY time you move something. The shaft has a habit of sneaking out when you're not looking :(

Tell me about it, that's why I had a new driveshaft fitted when I managed to break mine trying to change my wishbones. Personally, I'd let a garage do it then it's their fault if they knacker it up.

LeeT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 10:31
are the ones I linked to the correct ones? Will get today if they are.

They don't look anything like them in the schematic mate. The XC90 bolts have a large conical rubber washer on them. I would get them from the dealer if i were you. They also come with thread lock already on the bolts. Just remember that these ones must be torqued to 50NM not 35NM that the other ones do.

Top tip

Spray a tiny amount of WD40 (or similar) on the face of the rubber washer that will go against the face of the car. This prevents it sticking and ensures the correct torque when tightening it up. Don't worry about the lubrication affecting the bolt. It's the pressure in the rubber washer when squashed up that puts tension on the bolt and prevents it from coming loose. Mine have been on 18 months now and they are fine.

sizzlechest
Saturday 4th May 2013, 10:34
I replaced mine recently after replacement wishbones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190412375209?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Chris

silverhorse
Saturday 4th May 2013, 13:14
Got them from the dealer today. Special order. £19 each!!!!!!! Hey ho, what price peace of mind?
the old ones should come out fairly easily should they? I will be gentle so as to not shear the head off:eek:

LeeT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 15:08
Yes they will come out easy if torqed in correctly.

graemewelch
Saturday 4th May 2013, 16:13

please explain why. most shafts have a m20 bolts. its only a driveshaft at end of day.

LeeT5
Thursday 9th May 2013, 06:08
please explain why. most shafts have a m20 bolts. its only a driveshaft at end of day.

It may only be a drive shaft but you still don't want the bolts coming undone.
Basically, the threads on the bolt are a tiny bit closer together than the threads on whatever it's going into. as it's turned in, it stretches out and locks in place. The bolts should only be used once because once stretched and undone, they will never return to the pre stretched state. Therefore, when you retorque there will not be as much preload on the bolt and the risk of the bolt coming loose is greatly increased.
Don't ask me why Volvo used stretch bolts, how should i know that? Fact is, they did and the problem is, ppl don't heed the rule that you can only use a stretch bolt once and thus they reuse them. Obviously, that's why they keep coming undone, no matter how matter times you re torque them.

The reason for using XC90 bolts is obvious. Due to the large rubber and the 15Nm of increased torque the chances of the bolts working loose are reduced dramatically.

It is also important to note that over tightening the bolt will have the same affect as re using or under tightening.

Biff
Thursday 9th May 2013, 07:40

I was thinking that martin, this problem is new to me but ive had mine apart lately as my cv had split a boot. I used oe replacements as things aren't ment to be rock solid,a cars geometry is to flex a little in the right places. I agree with using locktite as toyota's are full of the stuff. It still gives the flex along with tensile strength.