PDA

View Full Version : 2003 v70 d5 rear springs?

Rich v70
Friday 3rd May 2013, 07:09
I need to replace the rear spring because one is broken went to get some but the 2 types how can I check if my car has got self-levelling suspension or not? I've been told the springs are different?

Rich

M-R-P
Friday 3rd May 2013, 07:13
Springs are indeed different. To check what you have, look behind the rear wheel at the shock running down inside the spring. If it has a rubber gaitor, it's a nivomat (self leveling shock)

This is a Nivomat...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/PA110124.jpg

Rich v70
Friday 3rd May 2013, 07:33
Thanks for that nope there not them one!

Rich

M-R-P
Friday 3rd May 2013, 07:48
Happy days :)

silverhorse
Friday 3rd May 2013, 14:21
That was nice and easy wasn't it Rich!! Ask a question, get a nice piccy and an answer, and Bobs your uncle. Thats why joining a members forum is the way to go, I guess!!

LeeT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 01:08
I need to replace the rear spring because one is broken went to get some but the 2 types how can I check if my car has got self-levelling suspension or not? I've been told the springs are different?

Rich

Other than what Martin's told you, the correct method of ascertaining which springs you have is to look on the data plate on the front nearside inner wing, next to the earth points.
You will see an alloy plate with 'VOLVO CAR CORP.' on it. Look at the number in the bottom right hand corner. It will be a series of letters and numbers, something like this:

2818X4033B61

The ones highlighted RED correlate to the springs that you have on your model car..ie:

2818X4033B61 (28 are the front springs and 40 are the rear).

Take those to your dealer and they will order the correct spring.

By the way, you MUST replace both sides otherwise you will affect the handling. Like everything made in factorys, they are made in batches and old springs suffer from spring sag. So fitting one spring could mean the car might pull when braking and generally not handle very well.

By the way, just because you've been told that your car lists two different springs does not mean that ones for nivomat and the other is not. The R models list two different springs for both front and rear and R models do not have Nivomat as an option. You must make sure your fitting the correct spring on your car.

JamesT5
Saturday 4th May 2013, 09:14

Rich

I've got a pair of rear springs off my 2001 T5 if you want some on the cheap.