PDA

View Full Version : Blue smoke advice

ajc106
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 17:34
Hi gents got a bit of funny one here on cold start up no smoke at all, day to day driving no smoke at all let the car sit for 15-20 mins ticking over then drive off yeap blue smoke clears up after a few hundred yards and then no more smoke untill i sit still for another 15-20 mins and ideas welcome

PHIL V70R
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 18:17
check pcv..replace if needed...poss turbo seals...when i leve mine standing for any time i get some smoke sir then drive off and its gone...have u had a drop in your oil...

ajc106
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 19:59
hi phil turbo replaced with a refurb unit two weeks agos have thought about the pcv but no smoke when i lift the dipstick

Jamest5r
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 20:29
Have you also had a re-map recently? been thrashing a touch more than normal? could be valve guides

nobananas
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 20:34
I was getting the exact same issues with my 850 a few years ago. Hate to say that I did a compression test and it was down noticeably on number 3 and 4. Pulled the head expecting to find burnt valves but instead found completely knackered bores. I would do a compression test first.

hillsidesteve
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 20:40
My V70 T5 with 150K blows out a massive cloud of blue when pulling away after stopping at the lights at the bottom of a long one mile decent and idling for 10 - 20 secs. It is the only time I see smoke, and it uses a litre every 900 - 1000 miles. I'm not worried (YET!) as she goes like stink and cheap to run on the LPG. I was guessing the valve seals are worn but have not checked the PCV yet although I understand you get WHITE smoke if that was clogged?
Any advice from the more knowledgeable members would be most welcome :doctor:

merc85
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 22:15
When the engine is warmer, ie standing still ticking over its thinner, Usually if its turbo it will do it straight after boost and you lift off as the oil is getting past the seals, if its valve stems usually its 1st thing as the oil seeps past the stem seals into the bore/top of piston. Rings id expect it to do it all the while when hot.

Compression test is worth while doing check also to see if the plugs are oil contaminated
Stem seals next
Turbo last