PDA

View Full Version : 5 branch stainless manifolds.

cherry1809
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 13:16
Any reason why the flange is split down?
Trying to find half decent pics online for ideas, as a mate at work has said he'll make me one up.
http://www.tig-art.com/web/8888/nsf/prolookup.taf?&_id=146776&did=1193&title=tig-art%20volvo%20superpro%20turbo%20manifold

nobananas
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 19:21
If you mean that the flange is split down the bolt holes it's usually done to allow expansion of the metal .

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 19:30
If you mean that the flange is split down the bolt holes it's usually done to allow expansion of the metal .

I'll second that, to keep the flange flat as it expands with the heat

cherry1809
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 20:28
I'll be honest, that's what I said to him as the possible reason, but he said between the two it's not a lot of difference. Not enough to warrant that anyway, but he'll do it that way if I want.
Next question is, is it worth the effort with an external wastegate?
I've always been of the opinion it just makes a lot of noise on boost with a dump pipe.
Plumbed back in to the system, surely an internal does the same job? Sorry if I'm being thick.

craigoodwood
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 21:34
aren't external wastgates illegal in this country....

cherry1809
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 21:50
Not heard that one. Mate has had one on his Silvia for years. Lots of jap stuff running them and hasn't Russ got one on the Peril?

claymore
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 21:57

No, why would they be?

craigoodwood
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 22:12
no eyed ear just summot i remember reading when i was looking into one....

Madbloke100
Monday 30th September 2013, 11:30
Why would you want them?

cherry1809
Monday 30th September 2013, 13:49
Why would you want them?
That's what I was asking :)

Harvey
Monday 30th September 2013, 21:03
Got this one.
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/2013_09080075_zpsd1ece591.jpg

stribo
Monday 30th September 2013, 21:33

I think screamer pipes are ilegal, but if the wastegates plumbed back into the main exhaust it's o.k.

Biff
Monday 30th September 2013, 22:49
I think screamer pipes are ilegal, but if the wastegates plumbed back into the main exhaust it's o.k.

I thought they were but my mates seem to get away with them. I wouldn't want one, I've never been it to loud exhausts on any of my cars. I sold my Subaru as it was too loud. Lol
I understand about the performance gains but I reckon you'd need to push it some to need one. Am I right in thinking the s60r manifolds are the ones to have?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 01:00
last year I investigated tig art & a few other options. I drew a blank on the tig art. Many of the swedish variants only work on LHD because of the placement of the brake servo. I also looked at 5 pot cast variants for the focus RS/C30 t5. Difficulty is those accept the air intake from the other side to older T5s.
Chris Tullet quoted me 1700 quid to make one.

Ended up with S60R as the easiest compromise.

cherry1809
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 14:11
As far as I'm aware, he's using mine as a guinea pig to make up the jigs, spacing etc. And doing it for free.
He did hint once it's done he'll gladly make them to order. Sure it'll be cheaper than £1700 though :)

graemewelch
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 16:21
that reminds me i forgot to send you a flange. wouldnt worry to much about distortion. if its done right it wont be a problem

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 21:42
So are you set to start making tubular manifolds now?

graemewelch
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:53
So are you set to start making tubular manifolds now?

is that for me dave or cheery1809. if me ive got a give made ive got 12mm flanged that bolt to head and ive got a supplier for the bends. all im lacking if the motavation to go ahead and build one. the 5-1 collector isnt as treaky as youd think. its basically a 4-1 collector with a 1.5" hole machined inside of the collector. after this its a case of piping up. not as easy as youd think though. all welds need to be purged and id say full pen to. east enough for a pipe fitter or a pipe tig welder but certainly not a job for some one with no stainless pipe experience. the manifold from chris tullet is 1800 for a reason.

cherry1809
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 09:28
If it was for me, mates basically waiting on me to either (or both) get him a standard manifold and a flange so he can start.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 11:39
If it was for me, mates basically waiting on me to either (or both) get him a standard manifold and a flange so he can start.

Well I have spare cast manifold from a C70 if that's what you need.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 11:43
is that for me dave or cheery1809. if me ive got a give made ive got 12mm flanged that bolt to head and ive got a supplier for the bends. all im lacking if the motavation to go ahead and build one. the 5-1 collector isnt as treaky as youd think. its basically a 4-1 collector with a 1.5" hole machined inside of the collector. after this its a case of piping up. not as easy as youd think though. all welds need to be purged and id say full pen to. east enough for a pipe fitter or a pipe tig welder but certainly not a job for some one with no stainless pipe experience. the manifold from chris tullet is 1800 for a reason.

I was more thinking of you Graeme but like you said CTE charge 1800 for a reason.

graemewelch
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 12:48
its something i was was planning to build. it wasnt to fit on my car but just to say id built one and use it for a picture for a website when i finaly get setup.

cherry1809
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 13:54
That'll be fine chap :)
Once he's got the jig made up and he's taken measurements from under the bonnet, it's just a waiting game.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 13:58
That'll be fine chap :)
Once he's got the jig made up and he's taken measurements from under the bonnet, it's just a waiting game.

Send me a delivery address & I will send it on.

charlie-r
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 23:37
If there's enough interest for a group buy, I'm sure Chris Tullett would do them a bit cheaper. Plus they're quality is impeccable. I should know :uglyhamme

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 00:05
Chris Tullett fabbed my 3" downpipe for my GTX garrett conversion so I know how good they are.

graemewelch
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 01:17
If there's enough interest for a group buy, I'm sure Chris Tullett would do them a bit cheaper. Plus they're quality is impeccable. I should know :uglyhamme

i take it you work for them. or him

charlie-r
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 10:03
i take it you work for them. or him

Yeah I've only been there a month but the problem with doing 1 manifold is the time it takes making jigs and actually designing the thing and converting it from a cad file to a jig to working out what bends we need to bend e.t.c. once we've got a jig and patterns one of the lads could probably knock one out in a day or two whereas just doing the one could take well over a week and lots of wasted expensive material.

I'm only an apprentice there, but some if the guys have been welding well over 20years, and work to tolerances so tight you wouldn't believe, everything has to be done perfectly or it doesn't leave the door.

cherry1809
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 10:58
Yeah I've only been there a month but the problem with doing 1 manifold is the time it takes making jigs and actually designing the thing and converting it from a cad file to a jig to working out what bends we need to bend e.t.c. once we've got a jig and patterns one of the lads could probably knock one out in a day or two whereas just doing the one could take well over a week and lots of wasted expensive material.

I'm only an apprentice there, but some if the guys have been welding well over 20years, and work to tolerances so tight you wouldn't believe, everything has to be done perfectly or it doesn't leave the door.
Mates the same. He hasn't been working with us long, he used to work in the boat builders next door making double hull ocean goers for ferrying workers out to oil rigs. We pikey'd him and he's been doing private jobs on the side. He's a fussy fu%ker and if it's not 110% he loses sleep. Lol.
Hopefully all the pita stuff will be ironed out on mine, then that should keep costs down on anyone else's :)

charlie-r
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 11:11
Any idea what material he's making it out of?

graemewelch
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 11:25

thats what annoys me when i get asked to build stuff. if its a one off and you give them a price and you get how much its only a bit pipe. what what about the time building jigs drawing flanges and like you say the wasted material when you route it a certain way and it gets in your way later on. not a easy thing to do.

charlie-r
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 12:56
thats what annoys me when i get asked to build stuff. if its a one off and you give them a price and you get how much its only a bit pipe. what what about the time building jigs drawing flanges and like you say the wasted material when you route it a certain way and it gets in your way later on. not a easy thing to do.

Yeah one time only stuff costs a fortune and takes loads of time, manifolds are the worst because you need about a 130/150mm grip on the tube bender which is just wasted unless there's a straight section which it could be used for. On a 5 cylinder manifold there'd be ££££loads of waste just in grip material. People don't realise this (including me) until you start working on it. Plus tig welding is a very skilled task

graemewelch
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 14:33
Yeah one time only stuff costs a fortune and takes loads of time, manifolds are the worst because you need about a 130/150mm grip on the tube bender which is just wasted unless there's a straight section which it could be used for. On a 5 cylinder manifold there'd be ££££loads of waste just in grip material. People don't realise this (including me) until you start working on it. Plus tig welding is a very skilled task

yip im with you on that. i use sch 10 pipe and bends for manifolds. but when welding a stainless you want 100% full pen with no coking. thats the easy bit. is for me anyway.

cherry1809
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 19:40
Any idea what material he's making it out of?
Just text him and he said 316 or 321 :)

charlie-r
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 21:37
Try tell him to go 321, that's good stuff to use! A lot less warping and you probably won't need to cut between the branches then :)

graemewelch
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 21:51
Try tell him to go 321, that's good stuff to use! A lot less warping and you probably won't need to cut between the branches then :)

you missed out the bit about the price. sit down when you price up the material

cherry1809
Friday 4th October 2013, 10:50
He's pricing up today, more likely to be 316 though.

charlie-r
Friday 4th October 2013, 13:13
Yeah 321 is a fortune and is a but trickier to weld but the advantages are worth it if you can afford it!

thewatsonsmouts
Sunday 6th October 2013, 11:41
If anyones got an s60r manifold they would like to sell me it will be muchly appreciated

graemewelch
Sunday 6th October 2013, 13:23
He's pricing up today, more likely to be 316 though.

dont use 316. id use 304l or 321 if funds allow.

cherry1809
Sunday 6th October 2013, 14:04
How come? He said 304 is okay, but said if it was his he'd go 316. No idea on the different grades myself so don't know.

graemewelch
Sunday 6th October 2013, 14:12
that grade isnt realy suited to exhausts. its not great for high temps. def go 304 and save your self a bit cash. you still want one of my flanges. i forgot all about them

charlie-r
Sunday 6th October 2013, 23:09
Yeah 304 or 321 is all we use. You'll probably struggle to buy 321 tube we make it in house

graemewelch
Sunday 6th October 2013, 23:37
Yeah 304 or 321 is all we use. You'll probably struggle to buy 321 tube we make it in house

when you say you make it i take it oyu mean you buy a 6meter length and bend it inhouse

cherry1809
Monday 7th October 2013, 07:42
that grade isnt realy suited to exhausts. its not great for high temps. def go 304 and save your self a bit cash. you still want one of my flanges. i forgot all about them
Yes please mate,will use it as a pattern :)

graemewelch
Monday 7th October 2013, 10:54
if not going ot use it i can email you a cad drawing. if you wont be able to open it but your mate whos building it for you should have the software to open it.

cherry1809
Monday 7th October 2013, 12:27
Will be able to open it at work :)
email is my user name, @yahoo.co.uk

charlie-r
Monday 7th October 2013, 19:56
We buy it in sheet, cut roll and seam weld it into tube. Then do as we wish with it.