PDA

View Full Version : Non starting "R"

Quicksilver
Monday 29th April 2013, 20:13
Due to circumstances my R has been off the road since November but I've been putting the battery on and starting her regularly, well last week she started up first turn of the key and ran for five minutes then slowly died!!! Tried again and she fired up then died again, out of fuel I thought so today uncovered her and put some fresh fuel in and not a thing!!!

Done the usual checks, can hear the pump prime and there's fuel at injector rail, took a plug out which was wet laid it on the head turned her over, no spark, there's power at the coil.

So that's as far I've got, I'll have another look tomorrow so is there any other things to look? usual suspects?

T5frankie
Monday 29th April 2013, 20:18
stick a screwdriver up a ht lead and place near a metal part of the engine, and see if it sparks then

Jamest5r
Monday 29th April 2013, 20:33
Crank and cam are always the 1st points of call.

T5frankie
Monday 29th April 2013, 20:40

not before my point

Quicksilver
Monday 29th April 2013, 20:44

Wouldn't I get an EML light with them? No codes recorded.

AndysR
Monday 29th April 2013, 20:50
If the plugs are wet it means the injectors are firing which means you've probably got a signal from the crank sensor and may have a fault with your cam sensor. Check for a spark at the king lead to the dissy cap if you've got a spark there then it maybe something simple like moisture in the dissy cap due to the car standing around, if there is no spark from the coil to the dissy then try the cam sensor.

merc85
Monday 29th April 2013, 21:29
Bloomin heck, NOT ANOTHER ONE!!

Quicksilver
Friday 21st June 2013, 20:00
I'm going to investigate further when I get home next, I'll keep you posted.

I need to move her to gravel the drive.

Quicksilver
Thursday 11th July 2013, 15:04
Ok so finally got some time to uncover the old gal and have a look at the non starting,
So plenty of fuel but no spark at the plugs and only an occasional spark from the king lead. Is there any way of testing the coil or cam senser or just a case of changing out, I've got the cam senser off and it looks alright.

Thanks in advance.

Think I'll give her a wash for now.

thewatsonsmouts
Thursday 11th July 2013, 16:37
Distrib cap they condensate from time to time, clean the electrodes inside and on the rotor arm then try

Quicksilver
Thursday 11th July 2013, 19:38
Distrib cap they condensate from time to time, clean the electrodes inside and on the rotor arm then try

Took the cap off, all dry, gave all the contacts a clean but no joy. I'm thinking its the coil? when I did the test I get an initial spark when I first turn the key then nothing.

merc85
Thursday 11th July 2013, 21:04
The cam sensor gives the signal to trigger wire at ecu, which powers the module in turn making the coil fire.

Quicksilver
Thursday 11th July 2013, 21:26
Thanks merc, points to cam sensor then? I'll try and get S/H one and give it a try.

thewatsonsmouts
Saturday 13th July 2013, 09:56
coil module dude ?

Quicksilver
Monday 22nd July 2013, 22:46
coil module dude ?

Spot on Ben, picked up a S/H one off eBay and she fired up first flick of the key!!

She lives again, now to order the turbo rebuild kit.

Quicksilver
Wednesday 21st August 2013, 18:55
Well today she moved from the front garden where she's sat for the last 10 months, after a full pressure wash to remove all the grass cuttings and cobwebs from the underside then into the garage for an oil and filter change and fluids check, one new exhaust hanger, new set of wiper blades. The brakes seem to be cleaning up alright, got to get a new set of boots and put her in for an mot!!