PDA

View Full Version : run me car today on 1/4 mile again

scooby555
Sunday 16th October 2005, 18:20
went and run me car now i have had the rica done best time was
97.80 mph
60ft 2.639

is that about right for my car with them mods. but still can not make me mind up if the car is any faster now mind u dont the rica come in more on mid range ?

Justin
Sunday 16th October 2005, 18:45
¼ mile racing and times is mostly down to the start you get, and looking at the 60ft, yes its about right, get your 60ft down to 2.3 or less and your looking at 14.5 seconds or less and a trap speed of 100mph+ :)

I got a 14.2 earlier in the year with a 99mph trap but the 60ft was 2.310 ;)

scooby555
Sunday 16th October 2005, 19:44
is hard to get the start right that time was done with the dstc on to did think it may be slower with that on.

volvotuning
Sunday 16th October 2005, 19:45
You have to turn DSTC off when doing the 1/4 mile. It makes the car slower cos it cuts the engine power. My D5 is a pain when the STC comes in cos the car just bogs down when the engine power is reduced, and there is a delay before you get the power back too. So if I want a quick getaway from a standstill I always turn it off.

Adam.

scooby555
Sunday 16th October 2005, 20:08
did have 3 runs with it off got 15.3 then but no grip off the starts.

volvotuning
Sunday 16th October 2005, 20:29
did have 3 runs with it off got 15.3 then but no grip off the starts.

This is where you need to practice technique, because you can launch must faster with the DSTC off if you learn how to do it. But it does take a lot of practice to do this consistently.

Put it this way, Spesh can consistently get at least 1.0 secs quicker times than I can. Now, the power of the car doesn't change! The only variable is the driver.

Adam.

scooby555
Sunday 16th October 2005, 20:45
yer have to get more practice. was the same with my old scooby was doing hi 13 when i had it in the end got down to 12.8 just down to the starts.

what time about shud i get with the rica and itg hi 14sec ish ?

volvotuning
Sunday 16th October 2005, 20:53
Low 14s realistically, but high 13s is possible. Assuming that there is nowt wrong with the car since it left us!!!

Adam.

hamish
Sunday 16th October 2005, 22:00
Hi,

Also.....assumes the track is prepared or at least not too slippery !

Regards,
Hamish.

scooby555
Monday 17th October 2005, 12:36
think i will pop in vt when out in it next put my mind to rest but bet its just me lol

Mrsmopp
Monday 17th October 2005, 17:09
Have you got the 280 or 300 map? What madel T5 is it?

x

scooby555
Monday 17th October 2005, 19:28
300 map t5 se s60

dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:14
i thought the standard s60 t5 could do 15 secs 1/4 miles?

your 60ft doesnt seem to bad, i think if you got 2.5secs, your be doing well.

if your car has the 300 upgrade, it should easyly pull below 15 sec runs, even with a poor start, something is amis??

Justin
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:19
i thought the standard s60 t5 could do 15 secs 1/4 miles?

your 60ft doesnt seem to bad, i think if you got 2.5secs, your be doing well.

if your car has the 300 upgrade, it should easyly pull below 15 sec runs, even with a poor start, something is amis??
I dont think it is Dave, its all in the start and whilst a 2.6 sec 60ft isnt bad it makes a huge difference to the trap time and speed :)

dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:34
yes, but if you make a 2.3 sec 60ft, take that of 15.1 = 14.8secs, which still seems alittle slow for 300bhp, i thought it should be low 14's?

Justin
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:53
It dont quite work like that Dave...sorry to dissapoint :(

Andrew
Monday 17th October 2005, 22:56
yes, but if you make a 2.3 sec 60ft, take that of 15.1 = 14.8secs, which still seems alittle slow for 300bhp, i thought it should be low 14's?

You also have to remember the weight. 300bhp is a hell of a lot on a fibre glass covered car :P

volvotuning
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:01

Dave,

Seriously, it's much much harder than you think. I am of course assuming that you haven't tried it yet. If so, then pop down to a drag strip and see for yourself. It really is much harder than most people realise. Some people have got their best times and don't even know how they did it!!! Cov Crew springs to mind here :)

You need to take the following into consideration -

1. Track condition
2. Ambient conditions
3. Engine Output
4. Tyre type
5. Tyre pressure
6. Launch technique
7. Gear change technique
8. Number of gear changes
9. Other drag losses
10. Weight

And a whole load more things.

Adam.

dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:04
It dont quite work like that Dave...sorry to dissapoint :(
how does it work then?

dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:12
Dave,

Seriously, it's much much harder than you think. I am of course assuming that you haven't tried it yet. If so, then pop down to a drag strip and see for yourself. It really is much harder than most people realise. Some people have got their best times and don't even know how they did it!!! Cov Crew springs to mind here :)

You need to take the following into consideration -

1. Track condition
2. Ambient conditions
3. Engine Output
4. Tyre type
5. Tyre pressure
6. Launch technique
7. Gear change technique
8. Number of gear changes
9. Other drag losses
10. Weight

And a whole load more things.

Adam.

i fully understand where your coming from mate

but ive had most of the sporty cars ive owned at the 1/4mile, ive allways managed to pull the book time for them, didnt worry about things u have mentioned, just got it in and drove as fast as i could, last car i took up was my fiat coupe, managed 14.5@100mph, which is the book time for it.

dave

volvotuning
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:16
All I know is that many people, myself included, cannot get stock times nevermind modded times!!! I was getting slower each run, last time I did this.

Adam

Justin
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:17
Ok, ill do my best, however im no expert :)

If you reach the 60ft in say 0.3 secsfaster than before, you will be a) faster at that point and b)faster overall down the track, that way getting a faster trap speed and thus covering ground quicker, which will in turn reward a quicker trap ;)

dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:38
Ok, ill do my best, however im no expert :)

If you reach the 60ft in say 0.3 secsfaster than before, you will be a) faster at that point and b)faster overall down the track, that way getting a faster trap speed and thus covering ground quicker, which will in turn reward a quicker trap ;)

yeah i get that bit, but the time of the 1/4 will only be 0.3 secs faster at the end, but the trap speed will be higher.

dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:40
All I know is that many people, myself included, cannot get stock times nevermind modded times!!! I was getting slower each run, last time I did this.

Adam

well ££££ me, i must be a driving god then! lol, i do sit behind the wheel 35,000+ miles per year, which must help my god like driving skills! lol

dave

Green T5R
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:44
I see where Justin is coming from if you hit the 60ft mark 0.3 secs sooner you must be going faster at that point than before. Which means you will be going faster down the rest of the track.Which in turn means faster 1/4 mile.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Regards

Iain

dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:49
yes, but will you be more than 0.3sec quicker at the end??, i dont think so, but i could be wrong

dave

Green T5R
Monday 17th October 2005, 23:54
You should be because if you start at say 10 mph you have an advantage over someone who starts at 0mph. Giving a faster time. I think we need someone who knows about physics......lol

regards

Iain

hamish
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 01:09
Dave,

What do you do for a living ? Because it ain't Drag Racing !

Regards,
Hamish.

After_Shock
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 07:36
Dave with the Volvo's having a .3sec faster trap speed may mean you will have a say a 1sec faster overall time.

With the Volvo's especially the front wheel drive ones getting to a certain speed quicker say 40mph or well into 2nd gear then the cars get much quicker than they are in the torque limited 1st gear so getting a really good start and getting past that 1st bit makes the speed pile on much quicker theirfore giving a quicker 1/4 time, which is were the trap speed comes in, if thats higher and the car has been doing a higher speed for longer it will have covered more ground in less time theirfore reducing the overall time.

If the driver is slow to the 60ft time they cant regain that time lost in the rest of the 1/4 as theirs not much skill involved in the rest aslong as they change gear at the correct times its just the getting off the line bit!

I know when I tried the 1/4mile I was useless at it however each run that passed by the time dropped by at least .1 of a sec but much 60ft times where utter useless and nearer the 3sec mark :bricks:

dave
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 07:49
Dave,

What do you do for a living ? Because it ain't Drag Racing !

Regards,
Hamish.

lol, i never said i was a expert at it, just i didnt find it that hard to pull book times, thats the facts!, maybe i should take it as a fulltime job, since iam a driving god!, lol

dave

Ross9
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 13:24
If yo do 60ft in 0.3 seconds faster, it will take more than 0.3 seconds off of the overall 1/4 mile time, though may not result in higher terminals, they'll probably be similar, in some cases slightly lower, than a slower time, due to less time accelerating.

ie, 15.0 @ 100mph with a piss poor start, 14.5 @ 98 with a good one, (just made them up for an example) is perfectly feasible on the same car at the same spec.

All depends on the car as well Dave, Fiats tend to be easy to get the book times on, they run low boost as standard in at least 1st, possibly 2nd gear as well IIRC, which makes the launching much easier, car's have different threshholds where its hard to brake, I've seen the fiat coupe turbos doing 14.2-14.5 on mild mods, hten throw lots of money at them and do 13.9/14.0 as it just gets hard to push past that.

There is a lot to consider to do it right, and the more power you have the harder it is to do, especially in a fwd. Some people will go and buy a 4wd obviously, but there are those of us who like to drive without the stabilisers ;) so don't go giving up your day job yet lol.

SIDC day on Saturday, £105 for 9 hours open pit at Knockhill, supposed to be showery as well, so unfortunately for me a damp track, lets see what the R can do in what you describe as it's best environment, wet and twisty?

Ross

Justin
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 13:46
Some people will go and buy a 4wd obviously, but there are those of us who like to drive without the stabilisers ;) so don't go giving up your day job yet lol.
ROTFLMAO @ Ross.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 14:26
Some people will go and buy a 4wd obviously, but there are those of us who like to drive without the stabilisers

LMAO, I think thats worthy for someones signature :bog:

Justin
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 15:12
Definately, quality post Ross ;)

dave
Tuesday 18th October 2005, 21:40
yeah, yeah, very funny lads! lol

ross - u know iam a driving god! lol, i just dont have £100 at present for the knockhill thing!, a real shame! lol, next time!

dave

elliot
Friday 21st October 2005, 16:17
The yanks reckon as a ball park that every 10th off the 60ft equates to 2/10ths on the ET.That was about right from my finds at pod the ET went down ALOT with a reasonable 60ft.2.7 sec is jurassic lol.My first run i did a 2.7 60ft then improved it over the day down to 2.3 somthing and the ET dropped by just over 1 second :jaw: .As every one has been saying its all in the start,thats howall the 4wd scoobys and evos look fast on paper but not many of them trap over a 100mph.

Justin
Friday 21st October 2005, 17:47
Correct Elliot !

scooby555
Friday 21st October 2005, 18:54
my old scoob run 12.8 but that was only at about 98 ish at the line never got over 100mph.

for me volvo i have only done about 300miles from when i had the rica done. do they self lern for a bit ?

elliot
Friday 21st October 2005, 19:03
my old scoob run 12.8 but that was only at about 98 ish at the line never got over 100mph.

for me volvo i have only done about 300miles from when i had the rica done. do they self lern for a bit ?

lol 12.8 at 98mph thats some launch wow,not so flash once it's rolling though ;)

spesh
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 10:38
Whats the standard 1/4 mile time for a 850 225bhp T5 anyone??

dave
Saturday 22nd October 2005, 11:50
"Volvo 850 T5 Estate (1993) 225bhp 15.4s 1/4mile", found that on the net

dave

Ross9
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 03:02
12.8 @ 98, well shiver me timbers if thats not nigh on impossible, the 60ft must have been cartoon tyle catapultistic.

Shame you didnt have the £100 Dave right enough, I had a great day, semi slicks on the front wheels, 18psi, no gas, so about 270/280 @ the wheels, wet track and fwd, and still managed to catch and harass a 355 Modena, exit hairpin, wheelspin to 60 then short shift to 3rd 10mph earl;y and sit 2-3cm, literally, off of a 355 Modenas rear bumper from 60-110, with im refusing to move over and then taking the huff he couldnt et away, such fun lol.

I will be posting the only vid I have of today shortly, had to jam camera in teh passeneer headrest, so only ot 1 run with no passene as after the Modena incident everyone wanted a go lol, vid has it skitting, wavering, spinning the wheels, and still keeping the 375 bhp WRX STI UK300R scoobie in touch, despite its horrendous traction advantage, yet still passing Elises, an Exige, catching and passing an R34 GTR V Spec Skyline, etc etc, all in an 11 year old fwd Rover with cut slicks on the driven wheels, in the pouring rain, if only it had been dry :haha: , but such is life, I had huge amounts of fun and earned mucho respect lol.

Ross

dave
Sunday 23rd October 2005, 08:59
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself ross!, giving all those poor high powered cars a hard time!

the guy in the 360 must have been a big wuss!(made be it was a women driver), lol, i would have enjoyed coming along to give the volvo a good work out, sometime in the future!

dave

Ross9
Monday 24th October 2005, 11:51
lol Dave, maybe he was taking it easy in the bends, but then again so was I, the ferrari is obviously a much better handling car, and on a dry track if the guy could drive it it would have been quicker in the bends, but we were all on the same track, I was running cut slicks in the wet lol, as for the straight, he was definately foot to the floor, he knew it, I knew it, and everyone watching knew it, can't hide the noise of a Ferrari when its at full chat lol. From my vantage point examining his rear bumper and tailpipes he was audible over the top of my own engine etc, which isn't quiet at 6000rpm either lol. Would have been good to see the Volvo there, was definately a day for the 4wd's.

Guy I know was running a 345 bhp EVO 4 and hounding me through the bends so I had to let him pass on teh straight, pulled over and put the boot in, shifted to 3rd at about 60 after the wheels spun up in 2nd, and shot away from it, then I braked and let him past as my track etiquette isn't all bad lol, plus he was faster over the course of a lap as I was holding him up in the bends.

I think that was the last Knockhill of the year as they are going to be widening the track a bit now over the winter, I shall try and give you prior notice next time Dave so you can see if the time can be spared.

EDIT - Apparently it wasn't a modena, I noted you called it a 360, not a 355, and wondered why, there is no such thing as a 355 modena right enough lol, it was a 355 Spyder. 380 bhp @ 8250 rpm, 268 lb/ft @ 6000rpm, and 1350 kilo, so it makes less torque than the Rover even at peak torque which is quite high rpm wise, and weighs about 200-250kg more, not that surprising then lol.

Ross

dave
Monday 24th October 2005, 21:03
yeah those ferrari's sound great!, i dont think its ever dry at knockhill!, lol

dave

siamblue
Monday 24th October 2005, 21:18
Great read Ross, so when are you going to sort the volvo out for the track?