PDA

View Full Version : day lights

copie22
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 22:28
is there a easy way of turning the day lights off on a 56 plate s60 d5 , on my 53 plate i removed the day light relay , carn`t seam to find it at min on new car ? as want to find my hids to it , but don`t want them on all the time

PyroPenguin
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 22:29
The only way I know of is with dice/vida

mick

M-R-P
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 22:30
Software only mate. Is there anybody near you with dice/vida that can do it for you?

copie22
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 22:36
not sure if there is can ask at few places , but do miss my hids that had in my other d5,

M-R-P
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 22:49
Watch the HIDs on the P2. I know you got away with it before but they seem hit and miss. My 03 plate threw a bulb failure warning, only when the engine was running. A pair of load resistors sorted that tho :)

Maybe there's a forum member nearby that'll be willing to help?

copie22
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 22:59
all ready got can-bus boxs as had to have them on the 53 plate one they worked well most of the time only problem was went through couple of balest boxes on the offside , other wise best lights ever had

M-R-P
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 23:03
I kitted out mine with the cheapest ebay crap I could find. Dipped and main beam 4300k for a grand sum of £36 I had to fit £2.50 worth of resistors to the dipped beam but the main beam was fine. Been in a while now and they're great.

volvokid
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 03:52
I think because its a 56 plate its a dealer only modification. Even if someone has a dice I don't think they will manage.

LeeT5
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 06:44
I think because its a 56 plate its a dealer only modification. Even if someone has a dice I don't think they will manage.

Why ever not? A 56 plate is the same shape as yours!

AFAIK it will work. Try it, otherwise it will cost you £30 at the dealer.

silverhorse
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 08:03

I turned mine off with my ViDA. Piece of cake.

copie22
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 09:54
Found the software but what lead do I need ?

volvokid
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 10:02
Why ever not? A 56 plate is the same shape as yours!

AFAIK it will work. Try it, otherwise it will cost you £30 at the dealer.

I couldnt do it with mine.

Jimmie
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 10:30
I'm interested to know where you can get a dealer to do this for £30.
Even small garages are taking £25 + for hooking up there computer software .

Squirtydog
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 11:45
My folder of bills has one for £25 several years ago for a dealer to switch off the day lights. I assumed this was by VIDA. However, when I looked in the driver side cabin fuse box I saw that the fuses had been taken out, complete with the actual contacts in the sockets. So I couldn't put a fuse back in even if I wanted to. Presumably VIDA had to be used in addition to stop a bulb failure warning appearing?

...seems a bit excessive to me.

copie22
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 13:08
Fuses on my 56 d5 our different to my old 53 plate other wise I would of done that , still intressed if anyone knows what lead is needed ?

M-R-P
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 13:11
My folder of bills has one for £25 several years ago for a dealer to switch off the day lights. I assumed this was by VIDA. However, when I looked in the driver side cabin fuse box I saw that the fuses had been taken out, complete with the actual contacts in the sockets. So I couldn't put a fuse back in even if I wanted to. Presumably VIDA had to be used in addition to stop a bulb failure warning appearing?

...seems a bit excessive to me.

Most likely that wasn't the fuse for drl, but a fuse fore something else. They wouldn't have gone to the trouble of removing the contacts for the fuse, as they'd have to remove the fuse board and dismantle it. If you have xenons, that socket may be used for normal headlights - hence it being empty.

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 13:44
Switching off with vida is purely a selection - definately would not have removed any contacts or fuses as martin said.
it is literally only CEM controlled as is the rear foglight - you can put a second bulb in but there is no way of getting both on.

M-R-P
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 15:03
Switching off with vida is purely a selection - definately would not have removed any contacts or fuses as martin said.
it is literally only CEM controlled as is the rear foglight - you can put a second bulb in but there is no way of getting both on.
I'd run a wire from one to the other lol ;)

And guess what - I didn't have to - plod fitted both foggies on mine :D

PyroPenguin
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 17:13
I'd run a wire from one to the other lol ;)

And guess what - I didn't have to - plod fitted both foggies on mine :D

Same with mine :) want to try and figure out how they got them to strobe lol.

If you'd have been a bit closer I'd have offered to switch them off for you, 30second job.

mick

Jimmie
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 19:00
Same with mine :) want to try and figure out how they got them to strobe lol.

If you'd have been a bit closer I'd have offered to switch them off for you, 30second job.

mick
You will have to get a box to make them go onto the strobe cycle but its illegal to use.

PyroPenguin
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 20:20
the plod fuse box is still there as is all the wiring, looks like they've just snipped the negative and earth cables, but frankly I don't think I cba really.

mick

copie22
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 21:44
going to see if my local body shop / work shop that do sum stuff to the plod cars can do it we take our service vans there for servicing and repairs,

volvokid
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 22:54
You either need some one with a copy of vida and a dice to do it, but I think with your model year you need software and that wont be possible with the diy vida. No garage appart from volvo will manage to do this if it is software and im sure it it. The early p2 had simply an option on vida to turn them off but with the new ones im sure this changed

PyroPenguin
Wednesday 24th April 2013, 23:01
Last month I turned a guys drl's off and that iirc was a 2001 v70, I haven't played with any newer one's yet (mine were off when I got it) so I'll plug in mine and see what it says.

mick