PDA

View Full Version : best way to connect ipod

copie22
Monday 22nd April 2013, 23:03
hello all sorry if been posted before, just trying to work out which is the best way to connect my ipod in my new volvo s60 56 plate ,had a 53 plate swop head unit to a alpine one and fitted a ipod interface , but do like look of head unit in new s60 d5 with built in cup holder . do i get a parrot or one of the boxs that fit on cd line witch is best????

volvokid
Monday 22nd April 2013, 23:14
Do not go for parrot they are crap! I have the top of the range one in my v40 my dad has the same in his hilux my ex had one in her 182 and my mate had one in his corsa. All recommended by me :( all developed problems. They over heat and the sound quality is poor. Groom is a good option so I have read.

Squirtydog
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 01:02
My Grom experience...

Easy to install (I managed it!). Great sound (so long as you're not a nugget and leave the iPod on 'small speaker').
Plugged iPhone 4 in yesterday - for me the best result... Phone nicely displays the track details and album cover, still controllable from the stereo/wheel. If phone call comes in then track pauses, call routed to my Supertooth, hang up and track resumes.

Needs a little learning though. Have too many (>10) playlists on the iPod and the Grom can get confused and freeze if you try to select them.
Guys at Carputer shop suggested that some people have managed to get track names on the HU with the Minidisc firmware - didn't work for me.

I plan to complete the install with a mount for iPhone/iPod on the dash rather than out of sight so that I can see track names.

Gets my recommendation so far.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 23rd April 2013, 08:19
+1 for the Grom unit, had mine nearly a year now, no problems and great sound.

copie22
Monday 29th April 2013, 20:55
been looking at the groms but has any one tried the new pure dab system? or do i stick and go for the grom ???

Squirtydog
Wednesday 1st May 2013, 22:36
How much? Grom £80ish.
Does it allow iPod control from the steering wheel?
Do you really need DAB, and with the station details on a second display somewhere on the dash.
Can I install it myself? Add cost if not.
...this is what I would be asking myself.

c70geoff
Thursday 2nd May 2013, 00:06
I need a Grom but would they have the connector for the iphone 5. bloody apple changing connectors kinda sucks a bit

Squirtydog
Thursday 2nd May 2013, 06:05
I need a Grom but would they have the connector for the iphone 5. bloody apple changing connectors kinda sucks a bit

Doesn't look like it checking on carputer website. Check with them.

MattV70
Thursday 2nd May 2013, 10:47
I just had a quote from my local Volvo dealer to install the MOST security patch so I can fit a Grom and they want over £100 for it! Have anyone else had it done on theirs recently and what was the cost?

copie22
Sunday 5th May 2013, 22:10
hello matt what year is your v70 will i need a patch as mine is a 56 plate about to to buy a grom , seen few on ebay but sooner deal with a shop so is carputer the best place ???? and which one do i go for???

c70geoff
Sunday 5th May 2013, 22:39
ordered my grom on friday from carputer, all i can say is very helpful bunch they have there and although not listed they do a cable for the iphone 5....looking forward to fitting

copie22
Monday 6th May 2013, 20:35
which grom did you go for I see there two sorts ? just need to sell my alpine head unit and ipod interface first or pay day then can get one

c70geoff
Tuesday 7th May 2013, 23:36
Grom-ipd3-vol
:)

copie22
Thursday 16th May 2013, 10:07
Ordered my grim for iPod after speaking to people at carputer most help full, looking forward to getting it then fitting

Squirtydog
Friday 17th May 2013, 00:58
Ordered my grim for iPod after speaking to people at carputer most help full, looking forward to getting it then fitting

Fitting is easy. I'm sure you'll be chuffed with it. Just don't be a numpty like I was and leave your iPod equaliser set to small speaker. I found that a setting giving a little treble and mid range boost worked best.