PDA

View Full Version : Possible to fit a sat nav to a S60

Richard
Sunday 16th October 2005, 07:49
Picking up my new S60 T5 SE next week (well new to me, it’s a 52 plate), it seems to me it has most things but no sat nav
Is it possible to fit a Volvo sat nav system (the one that the screen pops out of the top of the dash?)
If so would it be easy to fit and very expensive? (um expensive might be a slly question :-)

Many thanks Richard

Andrew
Sunday 16th October 2005, 08:10
Picking up my new S60 T5 SE next week (well new to me, it’s a 52 plate), it seems to me it has most things but no sat nav
Is it possible to fit a Volvo sat nav system (the one that the screen pops out of the top of the dash?)
If so would it be easy to fit and very expensive? (um expensive might be a slly question :-)

Many thanks Richard

It probably is possible. However you'd be looking at 1.2-2k. Do yourself a favour get tomtomGo for £400 - transfers to any car easy, maps are cheaper and updated more often.

dave
Sunday 16th October 2005, 10:08
It probably is possible. However you'd be looking at 1.2-2k. Do yourself a favour get tomtomGo for £400 - transfers to any car easy, maps are cheaper and updated more often.

you can do it cheaper, get pocket pc and tomtom nav cradle/gps and software, for about, £300/350

Andrew
Sunday 16th October 2005, 11:30
you can do it cheaper, get pocket pc and tomtom nav cradle/gps and software, for about, £300/350

And thats exactly how I do it but tomtom go is a neater - one cable - all in one solution. I'm thinking about getting one for the wifey.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 02:05
I bought a 2nd hand TomTom Go 300 and it is fabulous

Richard
Monday 17th October 2005, 04:43
Thanks for all your help, the Volvo option sounds very expensive but the problem with the tomtom is, you have to take it out every time you leave the car when shopping or going home etc
Thanks again Richard

Andrew
Monday 17th October 2005, 08:16
Thanks for all your help, the Volvo option sounds very expensive but the problem with the tomtom is, you have to take it out every time you leave the car when shopping or going home etc
Thanks again Richard

Unplug one cable - shove it in the glovebox... hardly taxing. Compare that to regular map updates for 40quid as opposed to 300+ for the official dvd of an OEM jobby and I know which one I'd go for.

I've owned both and TomTom is significantly better.

Simon
Monday 17th October 2005, 11:18
If you decide to go for a PDA solution also get Brodit mount for the PDA www.brodit.se not cheap but excellent...

Richard
Monday 17th October 2005, 16:37
I should of said that the car will be used as a taxi, so lots and lots of people will know I have it, so the glove compartment is really not a option, that why I was looking for some kind of built in unit
Thanks Richard