PDA

View Full Version : Front brakes

gazjacko
Sunday 16th October 2005, 00:21
Am I missing something? All the threads I've seen (volvospeed / Ozbrick etc) state that when removing the front calipers you need a Hex bit (7mm).
Today I just undid the carrier bolts took the whole lot off and then pulled the caliper and carrier apart. Cleaned everything off and re-assembled then slipped the whole assembly back over the disc and replaced the bolts.
My problem is with a lifted seal causing corrosion to the piston so it's only a temp replacement 'til I get a new caliper.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 02:10
The idea is you leave the carrier behind. The caliper is attached to the carrier by hex bolts whose heads are hidden inside plastic covers. You have to pop the ends off on the inboard side to read these bolts. The idea is that you dont need to remove the whole job lot. The only time the carriers come off is when you're replaciing the rotors.

gazjacko
Monday 17th October 2005, 16:32
Cheers for that! Just wanted to be sure I hadn't done anything I shouldn't have (Brakes are just a bit important!)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 16:34
I am sure it'll be fine - just that you took off more than you really needed to, but no harm done, I'm sure.