PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install a TIM boost gauge

Aiken
Saturday 15th October 2005, 18:59
Okay, after much reading different forums, even this one, I am lost as to how to fit the TIM boost gauge on my C70.

I've came to the conclusion that there is not a vacuum tree, at least I cannot see it, nor can I see any place to attach directly to the inlet manifold.

Basically stuck, a little frustrated, and I dont have a manual of the car :-)

Anyone got pictures and an explanation of how to fit this, its the actual pipe that im having trouble with...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Andrew
Saturday 15th October 2005, 19:05
Okay, after much reading different forums, even this one, I am lost as to how to fit the TIM boost gauge on my C70.

I've came to the conclusion that there is not a vacuum tree, at least I cannot see it, nor can I see any place to attach directly to the inlet manifold.

Basically stuck, a little frustrated, and I dont have a manual of the car :-)

Anyone got pictures and an explanation of how to fit this, its the actual pipe that im having trouble with...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

It very much depends on the year of the car.

If it's an earlier model there will be a vacum tree underneath one of the covers (follow the accelerator cable) if it's a newer model it will be ME7 (electronical throttle) and you'll need to cut a pipe and put in a T-piece. Both methods are described in the archive somewhere but state the year of your model and no doubt someone will jump in.

Andrew.

Aiken
Saturday 15th October 2005, 19:06
V reg (99), I think its ME7 since cannot locate the tree (nevermind the throttle cover)

Many thanks, its a frikkin nightmare especially since its dark, gonna set up more lighting.

Aiken
Saturday 15th October 2005, 19:14
Okay I found this so far in the forum

Cut the small pipe on the right hand side of the manifold and connect a T-piece. Connect boost gauge to this - easy peasy !

Now, which is the pipe, is the right hand side the side looking into the engine bay, or the right hand side of the car lololol.... jeez im such a muppet

Andrew
Saturday 15th October 2005, 19:19
It will be as you look at the engine.

I would perhaps wait until tomorrow now.

Aiken
Saturday 15th October 2005, 19:33
No, got tons of light :-)

here is a pic of what I think, am I right?

http://www.hostingphotography.com/wtf.jpg

Cheers

P.S. Engine is minging, needs a good clean, on my list.

Andrew
Saturday 15th October 2005, 19:37
Hmm looks ok to me however I've not touched an ME7 engine so you may want to wait for someone who has to confirm.

SaffronC70
Saturday 15th October 2005, 19:38
yes, cut there, but not too close to the take off.

Exactly where your arrow is fine.

Dos your tee piece have a brass restrictor in it ? Be sure to use this for your boost gauge.

Chris

Vikingxl
Saturday 15th October 2005, 19:39
Wobbly fitted my boost gauge and im pretty sure thats where mines connected on my me7 will look in the daylight tomorrow.

Andrew
Saturday 15th October 2005, 19:48
Sounds like your good to go then Aiken

Cheers for confirmation lads.

Aiken
Saturday 15th October 2005, 20:04
Yep, that's the place, getting a fine steady 0.8 on the gauge...

Only problem is, pipe not long enough to reach inside, so its staying in the engine bay for tonight.

Thanks guys for the input, most helpfull.

Regarding brass restrictor, not sure, the tee piece was just plastic as far as I could see.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 17th October 2005, 02:16
Wobbly fitted my boost gauge and im pretty sure thats where mines connected on my me7 will look in the daylight tomorrow.
Indeed that is where you should put the T piece

Vikingxl
Monday 17th October 2005, 07:35
Cheers Wobbly