PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky gear change

adrew
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 12:52
Hi All, what a irritating noise! I have a v70 2.4d manual on a 58 plate with 70000 miles on it. Over the last week when changing gear I get a horrid squeak coming from the gear shift, into 1st, 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th. I've removed the gaiter and given the plastic mechanism a damn good spray with wd40 but to no avail.
Has anyone else come across the same problem or indeed know what it is?
Any help would be appreciated

Rgds
Andy

JamesT5
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 14:06
Hi All, what a irritating noise! I have a v70 2.4d manual on a 58 plate with 70000 miles on it. Over the last week when changing gear I get a horrid squeak coming from the gear shift, into 1st, 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th. I've removed the gaiter and given the plastic mechanism a damn good spray with wd40 but to no avail.
Has anyone else come across the same problem or indeed know what it is?
Any help would be appreciated

Rgds
Andy

It's not a squeaky clutch pedal is it? I ask because our van at work squeaks when the clutch pedal is used.

By the way, this seems to be national volvo gearbox problem week. I wonder if the long winter has taken its toll......

adrew
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 14:48
Lol, but they come from sweeden! Surely it's colder there!

No it comes from the mechanism under the gaitor. Just got back from local dealer who say it is a common problem in that the life time lubricant around the plastic joints has become displaced. How can it be called 'life time' if that's the case???
They want £98.00 + vat to re lube the joints, don't think so for half hours work!!!
Going down local garage to get it done!!

M-R-P
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 14:59
Get a can of copper slip spray and go to town on it mate. Move the stick to it's 4 corners while you're doing it.

Don't forget to do the push-rods connecting it to the cables too ;)

adrew
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 15:09
Copper slip spray, I'll give it a go before I take it to the garage., thank you for the tip. In fact off now to buy some :-)

JamesT5
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 19:32
Copper slip spray, I'll give it a go before I take it to the garage., thank you for the tip. In fact off now to buy some :-)

Main Stealers are a rip off and I only use them for very special jobs I daren't let anyone else touch or for software related work. A work colleague of mine was charged £32 to change a light bulb by a BMW Stealers in Cardiff. Enough said....... :D

MA'R'K
Wednesday 17th April 2013, 19:41
Main Stealers are a rip off and I only use them for very special jobs I daren't let anyone else touch or for software related work. A work colleague of mine was charged £32 to change a light bulb by a BMW Stealers in Cardiff. Enough said....... :D

You need to get a 'special' relationship with main dealers, not many out there that want to work that way, but dealers still want service/bodywork as much as any other garage. I have a very good relationship with a dealer and I get mega discounts off parts and very reasonable rates on work if I don't have the time to do it myself. Sometimes people discount the dealers just for the sake of it!

Your work colleague must be really really stupid to pay that.....I'd of told em to stick the bulb up where the sun don't shine....you can refuse to pay if they charge extortionate amounts without getting your approval first. Though some bulbs on modern cars are a b**** to change, so you need to add context as to what the £32 was for.